What's new

How to beat Raiden with a decent Character.

Now what I mean by decent character is any character that has a 11ish frame attack that can punish for easy damage.

Raiden is an extremely 1 dimensional character. He has one strategy, bait your stupidity. If you try and use him any other way, I want to play you for money. This is why I beat Raiden's so easily.

Raiden is only "God like" online with 6 fps.

Ok on to Raiden Bane tactics.

Raiden will teleport if you jump in, He will superman if you whiff a string and he will attempt to block string with or without jump in, if you let him get a free teleport off.

Raiden is a frustrating character to face because he has this aura around him. When you pick Raiden at the character select, the opponent is sucked into this fantasy world were anything he does appears to be Raiden bait, and Raiden will gobble you up if you do anything but hold block. But its simple really. Raiden is at the mercy of his teleport. Stop the port? stop Raiden.

How do I stop the port? It's sooo damn fast?! Well that's easy. I want you to hold block. Now wait for him to port. Once you hear him say "HAYAAAAHHH IMMMA CHAAARRRGINNNNN MAH TELLEEPORT BROOO" Input you 12 frame or less punish move in the opposite direction. Ta da! you just gobbled up a Raiden teleport. "But but JP I don't have a 12 frame or less move waaaahh I suck." No you don't suck you just don't understand Raiden's teleport.

How do you stop the Port without a special? You can stop all teleports in this game, except Skarlets I think, with one simple maneuver, Jump Backwards on reaction. This gives you many options you can jump kick into air throw, you can jump in punch in to blockstring, you can toss a special move, you can land and begin a teabag dance, or whatever, hell you can throw him! That's right you can throw him. But all characters can do this very simple punish for Teleport, D1, D3, or D4. Some can even dash and uppercut his cheeky ass for thinking you'd get caught in a naked port attack. "BUT BUT JP HE ISN'T NEKKID PORTING BRO, He keeps teleporting after his strings and then I'm all like in block stun and he is all like "IMMMA CHARRGIN BITCH" And i can't do anything!" Well you're wrong

Raiden blockstrings. Raiden doesn't have good safe block strings. His only real safe option is to f2,4. Ahhh crap he just did 4 chip damage gameover man gameover. Now I can't completely down play f24 on block because he does have a little frame advantage, but it is easy to get away from him when he finishes. Now what happens when he uses 334 and b312?! We first off you can interrupt these strings with d1, I wouldn't recommend it since I'm about to tell you something dirty, but you can interrupt it if you want or need to. Ok so he dashes in and 334s because like a good boy you're holding block so he doesn't superman dat ho. Ok what can he do to follow up? He can throw a lightning ball, which you can either interrupt, but you can barely punish it on block. He can check your lil ass with a shocker, block and punish by full combo same goes for a superman attempt. Or..... DUN DUN DUN he can vicinity blast!!!!! "Advantage on block OMG JP SAVE ME BRO" Chill the F out he just did what 7 chip damage and now has serious frame advantage? What should you do? Well you can armor through, xray, mash jump, duck and pray, eat a 39% combo. Umm I'd go ahead and armor attack through it, if you don't have meter use the jump option and get a wake up attack option. RANDOM PARAGRAPH BREAK

"Ok that great JP but he keeps 334 and then he teleports and then he keeps doing it and is killin me 5 damage at a time!" So you're telling me he does a 334 and is -2 on block, then he follows that up with a -12 or something like that teleport? Well ill be damned! Punish him. The easiest way? Uppercut him. Slow uppercut? d1 d3 d4 canceled into a safe special. Why does this work? Well after that 334 teleport he is going to want to keep the pressure. His options are to start a new string at -12 frames or jump in. This is why you can just be like HELLO GOOD DAY SIR him with an uppercut. Now if you do let him get the port off and he trys to retreat you can just dash and attack him however you like.

"He keeps throwing lighting balls... f'ing P@#$@ imma send him some rage mail SPPPAMMMERRR." So you let him chip you completely out with fireballs? Throw one back at his ass! Now don't throw a sheeva ball at him cause you won't recover for the incoming teleport obviously throw something fast and annoying like a sonya ring blast a kano knife or a GASP Kung Lao low hat. And if you can't fight fire with fire? Duck and cover baby! while you are ducking block as each lightning ball wizzes over your head raising you hairs hehe that tickles mr. thundergod. STOP DUCKIN MAH FIRE BALLS BRO IMMA CHARGIN!!! Its ok! because you held block in between lighting balls! So block his superman and Dash punish his phony ass.

"Look JP stop being a damn keyboard jockey, How do I stop him from teleporting while im holding block." Ok first of all no. Secondly you can still punish said teleport if you have god like reflexes like I. The easiest way is if he is being cheesy just quickly let go of block and start mashing throw when you yells. If not just toss a d1 or d4 at his ass. Btw if you are d4'ing him make sure you follow up with something.

"So JP can't I just mash d1, d3, and d4 anything he is near? I just did that and he didn't see to be able to do anything....." That's because he couldn't do anything! He could risk the match on an armored superman attempt but why would he do that? That wouldn't be smart play. His best bet is to clean you up with a nicely timed sweep but if you see that coming.. you can jip combo him for free!

"JP YOU'RE AWESOME BRO I just hit him and he fell to the ground! Time for some Oki desu ka!?" Damn right Oki away! His wake up options are so free its not even funny. He can superman, block and punish, he can shocker, block and punish same for ex superman and shocker, and oh he can teleport. "WTF JP HE CAN TELEPORTS??!@?#!?@#?@!# fuuuuuuuuuuu how do i stop that?" Well..... you can stuff the teleport. "How?" Easy just throw him. "LOL but teleport is like 4 frame start up and throw is 10." Well I haven't a damn clue how it works but it does, You can throw raiden out of teleport start up. Even on wake up as long as you time it juuuuustt right like lil bear's porridge. "Hey JP I just throw this raiden scrub out of a wake up superman, teleport and shocker what gives?" Why yes.... yes you did throw him out of every wake up option, but you were probably lagging and got lucky. Hell if you really wanna get tricky just down 3 him for Oki pressure depending on your character the Superman will go over you and the shocker and teleport will be stuffed.

"JP why are you telling me all this?"

Why? because I just got my ass kicked because I was using Raiden, and this is how he beat me.

What an entertaining way to tell people to play better against flow chart Raidens. Kudos to you. Several actual LoLs. Would read again.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Thanks for this thread. Its because of this thread I started realizing that some people were jumping backwards against me to escape my teleport. Well, now I just Superman as soon as I teleport against people that I'm reading doing that and BOOM, punish it