What's new

How NetherRealm Studios Foresee's the Future of Gaming

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Today, on one side you have the legendary Mortal Kombat franchise, which has had an ever-successful "reboot" called Mortal Kombat 2011 or "9". This was the first Mortal Kombat game under the NetherRealm Studios name and now with Injustice: Gods Among Us taking off and selling well... "in the States, it’s been selling really well, we’re very happy about that - and it warrants doing a sequel". In this interview by Spong.com the discussion goes a little deeper than just the discussion of these two fighting games.

Ed Boon, Creative Director at NetherRealm Studios and Hector Sanchez, Producer at NetherRealm Studios discuss what they believe is the 'future' of the genre. They mention "online" and "online tournaments" being a huge thing of the future. Despite the obvious potential issues for this... "lag"... online is where the majority of game-play takes place in the world where you can simply play the game in the convenience of your own home.
ect42.jpg
"Ed Boon: I think gameplay enhancements are always in the process [of evolution], and in Injustice that’s represented in the stage environments and the role they play in the game. Normally, it’s just a picture that you fight in front of. Now you have a very big gameplay advancement with environment interactions.

But the really big thing for the future of fighting games is online, social interaction, and the competitive aspect of battling across the internet. Online tournaments, with prizes and everything, are in the genre’s future. There’s nothing like a one-on-one fighting game for the eSports competitive arena."

Much more where that came from, so head here to read the rest! : http://spong.com/feature/10111008/Interview-Netherrealm-Studios-Ed-Boon

Let us know what you think of what Ed and Hector had to say!

Source: Spong.com
Credit: EventHubs.com

Attachments

VGB Joe Kerr

Insane Brilliance
in summary it says call things "season pass" while only granting a part of what will be given. something something force gamers to pay more for crappy internet service they have monies just like i do!

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I think it's great not everyone goes to EVO and tournaments offline and the online crowd really is the ones that makes the game its money so the focus should be on them not the 3% that go play in tournaments offline. I watch ppl complain on here all the time about online and I have none of the problems you guys bitch about so w/e maybe you should upgrade your internet.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We guys who has to pay 1Mbps speed with life which is not enough to play online, will likely to be taken out of the equation( They never remember us anyway).

Yes, the Online gaming is the future of gaming, however, continents where there is countries like mine that ppl doesn't develop will stay the same and being casted away because unfortunately these guys can't develop themselves, we don't have satellites of our own, and internet is too expensive, the max speed is 2Mbps from "Net Cable", and doesn't cover the whole area, not even the entire country, i'm waiting to get to my area and its more than 5 years already.

Internet in Africa is so BS, that the only game we can play 30% well is Call of Duty or Battlefield between us, even tekken that has a good net code, the signal is actually pretty terrible.

Xbox 720 will possibly be discarded from my country, no one can maintain his console online all the time, with this shitty connection.

Online is lame imo I love watching offline events it's way more hype to see how people react irl when they win/lose and the salttt lol. Still nice of them to think of us online warriors

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
W/a game as fast as this, lag is going to be important (even though the online is actually not NEARLY as bad some make it out to be) but we are nowhere near the point of online majors yet

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I love injustice lets get that outa the way lol. If It took them 2 years to make this netcode, how long do you think it would take to make one online tourny viable.

Watching Namco go from t6 to ttt2 netcode was beautiful, MK9 to Injustice not so much.

Hahaha online torny...yeah all lag and all spam torny. Online will never be the same as offline, their is just an interaction offline that can't be matched.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
He has been saying this for like 3 years now lol.

There is some truth to it, maybe not for people on TYM, but for the casual audience and just normal people in general, online is a huge part of the game, with out it, these games are kinda useless.

Injustice has improved netcode from MK9, but its nowhere near enough.
They need to really look into either rollback, or design the entire game around online play, like BB/SC5/TTT2.
NRS's weird buffering system always makes online play annoying.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
If online is the future then let NRS fix online contained in Injustice first. Do I have to remind once again about:
- problems with ragequiters(u get negative stats if someone rq on you)
- you can not check your own hero card
-sorting the list of players doess not work (or it works but no one knows in which way lol)

The game has two weeks and they not tempted to remedy such an important bugs. Yes Mr. Boon, online is the future and your company shows the way!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
the future of fighting games is online, social interaction, and the competitive aspect of battling across the internet. Online tournaments, with prizes and everything, are in the genre’s future. There’s nothing like a one-on-one fighting game for the eSports competitive arena.
I like how amongst all this he conveniently managed to avoid mentioning good netcode. :coffee:

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
We are going to need some strong internet connections for something like this to happen.
So true I have fios 153mb download snd 100 up. When I play another fios player in injustice there's no lag.

Sad issue is the connections need 2 get better for del cable users lime tome Warner .

It also doesn't help that people share the Internet at home and download torrents while playing online. Boon speaks the truth but before that happens next gen systems need to perform a ping test or something. Too many Internet dummies are online and kill all of our online games.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2