What's new

How MK10 can innovate and still be MK

Glass Sword

Nobody
Honestly NRS can get away making a new game that is mostly MK9 at heart. They will probably do something funky which will not really come into tournament play often like.
-Some sort of fatality gimmick (such as being able to combo into one if your opponent is low health)
-Having super apply some sort of temporary debuff to the opponent.
Besides the "flash" they could change things like the character roster. Many reviewers complained about the teleport heavy cast get rid of them and you have a different game, but not really. More subtle things they could do is give people unique jump kicks and more animation variety. I think they are going to really be "innovative" with features without touching the core game play.
Just hope MK10 wil not have projectiles which are not projectiles. I hate that shit.

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
My guess is MK10 will play like Injustice with the new engine they developed for Injustice. Yes I fear there will no longer be a "Block" button, but perhaps this will be a good thing. Who knows?

Glass Sword

Nobody
They may also stick to the whole trait thing with injustice, but instead give each character a unique mechanic.
Such as...
-Sektor having two different jump arcs (he would use the boosters on his hands)
-Johnny Cage can just guard projectiles (he slaps them away)
-Scorpion has two different tech rolls (one where he teleports into the nether all flame style and appears farther away.)
-Kano having a taunt that builds meter
-Sonya having a low throw
Something like this...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I know i was just giving an example of what i meant when i said enhance then meterburn to add a new mechanic to the game

The "Meter Burn" terminology is just what ppl adopted to call Enhanced moves in Injustice, there is no difference between both (MK and Inj) methods, besides that in Injustice you can choose to Enhance the move after you execute the action, in MK have to MB as you do the move.

Up missle when meter burned it becomes a "Homing Missile", while up missile goes straight up then goes down, the meter burned version adds a tracking mark in the opponent's body which the missile wil seek for it until hits or until the time for hitting runs out, making the missile exploding afterwards.

I think the NRS way of being "innovative" is just presenting a fresh experience rather than actually trying to innovate. Considering the story of Mk9, having most of the old characters return will be odd but not impossible.

That being said. I don't want MK10 to be UMK9. Just adding new strings or whatever would be stale and disappointing. New additions like the ones in OP wouldn't be terrible if NRS handled them properly.

But the suggestions in the OP aren't innovative, it's just taking features from other games and throwing them all into one game. Why does MK9 have to copy another games mechanics? They already have a good foundation, just build on what they have (and fix the issues from mk9, especially that horrendous practice mode lol, that alone would be good enough). If they want to be innovative, or add some new stuff, fine by me, but it needs to be innovative, and not just a bunch of features from other fighting games. Just my 2$

Edenia's Last Hope

Khaotic Czar- the scream king
umm MK10 needs to have the same engine as Mk9 had and add new characters as well as keep the old ones... add new moves and keep some old moves too... basically a new patched mk9 and the fans will be pleased.... NO extra shit like igau or the thread main suggestions please..

My #1 thing I want is an option to hold back to block. Block button for a 2d fighter is stupid and feels awkward on an arcade stick. I doubt they will give us that option though.

Waiting for Injustice 2. Let me know when MKX Komplete Edition is out.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My #1 thing I want is an option to hold back to block. Block button for a 2d fighter is stupid and feels awkward on an arcade stick. I doubt they will give us that option though.

"Says block button is stupid and feels akward. Plays Virtua Fighter"

Seems legit.

never will happen ever, too many issues and differences, sorry...

I was thinking they could incorporate LT as a new button, they could have back to block but use LT as a new button for strings, and to cancel dashes, AND to hold your character in place so when you are blocking you don't move backwards.... it could also alter special moves not like MBurn does but in a meterless way, so you could control the special moves POWER or LOFT or length of duration

Also it would be cool if every character's strings had an intended purpose, and the strings were balanced... mean fast pokes with awesome range had low rewards or punishablitity, AND also what if certain SLOWER strings allowed you to incorporate a string specific setup, meaning like the string had some sort of CANCEL or 50 50 option which would give you a setup... like what if you had a character throw up something like lex's probe as a part of a string, but the string had awful startup and range or something to balance it out... i mean strings like superman's f23 are just boring...

What if certain string enders did extra chip and pushed away, and others didn't do much chip at ALL but had frame advantage or something.... and what if johnny cage's trait was extra chip damage or block stun up close and in general normals didn't do much chip to rewards defense but also allow for rushdown characters to use chip as an intimidation tactic

trait is the best mechanic ever, because it allows you to give characters Amazing game changing ability but balance them in terms of use... what if a special MOVE costed 2 meters if you held lt and rt while doing it for like an uber version of it...

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I'm really really sure there'll be breaker, block button and no trading projectile. MK10 should be MK9 with more improvements, less stupid things with something new and the thing they learned from Injustice. Meter Burn from Injustice? Why not? You can keep both MK9 EX and Injustice MB. MB System in MK10 should workl like Batman's MB Mve, hit confirm -> longer combo, EX system for something like Sub-Zero's Ice, Scorp's Spear, etc... If you played MKDC, you know that MB is 1 of MKDC Pro Moves' feature. Universal Armor like Injustice? It must be in MK10! MKDC Pro Moves should be in MK10 too? Make it like MKDC Liu Kang (Bicycle Kick -> Air Fireball -> Flying Kick). Diverse air attacks like Injustice? Should be in. Stage Transition? It's from MK, so it should be in MK10, if you deny so you're not MK fan lol. Interactables? I don't know. There're Interactables in MK4 and few other MK games but Injustice's Interactables system is very different, and i think they did a good job, they made a very good thing for Injustice. So I don't know if it'll be in MK10, maybe a new Interactables system? Run? Yes it should be in but maybe like MKDC's Run or KOF's. Counter system like Tekken's would be cool.

"Let MK be MK", pffft, what many of you posted more like "Let MK10 be MK9.0.0.0.0.0.0.1". You guys sound like you're some lazy staffs who work for NRS and are afraid to change but don't want to get fired lol. They did a good job with Injustice, that's why i can't wait for MK10!

Sasuga

Noob
Most of these points are not innovative; they are just copying Capcom. I thought most NRS supporting players were proud of the fact that NRS insists on doing everyting differently.

Most of these points are proven to be valid choices for game mechanics but NRS just seems to want to invent their own cubeshaped wheel.