How important is Tag Mode?

• Extremely important

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Not important

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters
How important is tag mode to you guys? I have to say, I was pretty disappointed when I saw that injustice didn't have tag mode. Despite how broken and imbalanced tag mode was in MK9 (see any Tony-T tag videos) I still had a ton of fun with it, it was a great casual mode to play locally with a friend, have a few drinks and kill some people online.

Anyways with all of this speculation of MK10 on the horizon, how important to you will tag mode be?

I think there are a lot of different angles to look at. You could argue that maybe you only want it if it's tournament worthy. Or maybe not at all because you want development focus to be entirely focused on 1v1, etc. Personally I'd be happy with just the option, I don't care how broken it is.

@deathblooms2k4
I moved your thread to the "MK10 speculation" forum, because I think the thread will be noticed by some lurkers from our beloved NetherRealm Studios, and maybe they'll consider including it again for the next game!

Anyway, I like the tag mode: it's great for stretching some creativity and to have a blast. I won't be mad if it is not included in the next game, though.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
It's a cool fun thing to have but I personally don't think its necessary. A game should be focused on tag specifically or just have it be 1v1, having both makes it really hard to have good balance.

One thing DoA5U did which I thought was phenomenal but never really got a lot of notoriety is they had online tag mode, where your partner can also be online and not just local. I never got a chance to try it my buddy I play a lot of fighting games with didn't have DOA but I suspect with 4 connections that the netcode probably didn't hold up well.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I had a lot of fun with MK9's tag mode even though it wasn't perfect. I liked how the game gave players to do tag or 1v1. This gives players the option to main one character or master to or more if they want to do tag.

Personally I think they should do 2v2 endurance style. That way it is a throw back to Trilogy and there shouldn't be as many glitches and mechanic problems. This would also avoid worrying about team synergy.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
It's good for doing two character stats at the same time and great for kombo videos. Watch Tag Team Fatalities be the next "Big thing". It's been hinted at since MKDA Krypt.

Last edited:

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I have spent a lot of time in tag mode, it's super fun but they would have to make some changes to make it viable. If they could then that would be awesome, that said I'm not sure how it would affect tournaments, it would basically be two tournaments in one if people wanted to run both solo and tag.

I think it's a neat idea and if we get it again in MK10 the same way as in MK9 that would be cool. But the 1v1 is the most important aspect.

Sami

Noob
I loved playing MK9's tag mode super casually. Wouldn't be upset by its omission but it's still good fun for a distraction.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Tagmode was excellent. It's the perfect distraction from actually trying to win and for drinking and doing silly shit online. Can't be that difficult to implement either - I say do it.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I think if a game has a tag mode that is done well enough and isnt a broken pile of shit, it would actually most likely become THE standard way to play it.

ryublaze

Noob
Tag mode would be so hard to balance cuz there are so many variables and i doubt they'd take the time to balance it since it's not that important. A few ways they could make tag more viable are to remove tag assists (which would make it more boring), make it cost 2 bars of meter and/or scale damage, or make it so you can't move while you're doing a tag assist.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I liked tag mode for when I wanted to learn another character, but didn't wanna get my ass handed to me. So I'd go in tag mode with my main and whoever I was looking to learn. That way, when I'm about to lose, switch to my main and rape. lol

Basic tag mode is super fun especially if you have casual friends in real life. Some of the funnest moments I had with mk9 in 2011 was going to my friends house and doing online tag team mode which in return got my friend more into mk9/FGs. Would love to see a tag team mode return again!

Extremely unimportant. Lowest priority.

Know your strengths (story mode, content). Focus on your weakness (quality, netcode). Don't bother wasting resources on a tag mode because we all know you struggle to deliver a finished quality product.

Sell tag mode 10$ as DLC for casuls. You'll make more money and it won't interfere with production.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
It's not important at all. I had fun drinking beers with Ninjapendenceday and smashing people online and going for hilarious shenanigans, but if it ends up stealing time from the core gameplay I'd say scrap it.

RHCP

Noob
I really enjoy tag mode, but I kind of felt that MK9 had too many handicap matches on the story mode. They were a fun challenge, but after a while they really became a pain in the ass (and not in a fun way).

It is a fun mode to play casually though. I also enjoyed doing a tag MK ladder. I'd say it's somewhat important but there are other things that are much more important to me, or that I'd enjoy more. Chess and puzzle combat for instance.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I would rather have Tag Mode and Test Your Luck over dumb shit like the Challenge Tower/STAR Labs.

Modes where you actually play is better than single player shit that's boring as fuck. I could care less how broke it is. It's not like it's going to be used for competitive play.

Injustice Interactables should have been the same way. Just put it there as an option to be crazy and mess around. It ruins the competitive atmosphere of the game. IMO anyways.