What's new

Question How do you guys pick your mains?

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
For me my standards are....

-Do I like the personality of the character? (Doesn't always apply)
-Is this character going to be fun to play?
-Is the character fun to watch?
-Does this character generate a decent amount of hits and damage above 30% or higher in a midscreen combo?
-Do the combos have nice enders that deal damage and feel right?
-Is this character very fast or average in terms of speed?
-Is this character very mobile and capable of spacing fairly?
-Rushdown characters are my favorite but I will be open to zoners.

or another special way I usually pick my main is.....

-Does this character play like my other mains before.

What are your standards?

Last edited:

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Mostly it comes down to comfort.

But some character (Batman, Kung Jin), right as soon as I see them...something just clicks.

I stuck with Batman since the demo of Injustice and I just have a feeling I'll be great with Kung Jin.

Personality helps, too. I'll more than likely end up having Cassie as a 2nd just because of her personality.

But there is also groups that I love like White Lotus. I'll play characters just because they are in White Lotus lol

John of KHTC

Humble assasin
I normally go for the characters that are set up heavy and fun to play as.I think its really interesting if it is a character that takes brains to use and fight as.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
Mostly it comes down to comfort.

But some character (Batman, Kung Jin), right as soon as I see them...something just clicks.

I stuck with Batman since the demo of Injustice and I just have a feeling I'll be great with Kung Jin.

Personality helps, too. I'll more than likely end up having Cassie as a 2nd just because of her personality.

But there is also groups that I love like White Lotus. I'll play characters just because they are in White Lotus lol
Personality may hook me into the character. Catwoman, Kabal, Harley Quinn, Lucario (Project M), Spinal, and Sadira have always been in my heart. I gotta find out which character in MKX feels home to me. Erron Black, Ermac, and Mileena seem the closest to me as a veteran Mortal Kombat player.

I agree with Cassie Cage. She is just too damn witty and a badass!

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Personality may hook me into the character. Catwoman, Kabal, Harley Quinn, Lucario (Project M), Spinal, and Sadira have always been in my heart. I gotta find out which character in MKX feels home to me. Erron Black, Ermac, and Mileena seem the closest to me as a veteran Mortal Kombat player.

I agree with Cassie Cage. She is just too damn witty and a badass!
her selfie fatality is my favorite one lol

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
I normally go for the characters that are set up heavy and fun to play as.I think its really interesting if it is a character that takes brains to use and fight as.
You mean like a really technical character that can zone alot. You sound like you main as Kan Ra from Killer Instinct or if you haven't gotten into that game, he will feel at home in your hands. Quan Chi, Erron Black, Sonya and several others in MKX seems like a set up based character

Invincibeast

Stay Free
I go first for who is fun for me personally to play.
If there is more than one I look at their tools and how heavy they hit damage wise.

Hmmm. Generally I go for rush down characters, but I'm a sucker for characters with slow moving projectiles. Or projectile's that can be set up (ie Hat trick).
Otherwise it's all personality. But I love black female fighters, always have.

Kakarot

PSN: KonquerorSpirit
For me it comes down to character loyalty. Ermac's always been my favorite so I will be using him

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
for me it is a mixture of character loyalty, personality, and how they play, the third one isnt always a deciding factor, in fact the ones i do pick up because of how i play tend to be zoners that i learn how to rush down with to catch people off guard. but when it comes to character loyalty Kenshi will always be my main man in every mortal kombat game that features him since he is my favorite videogame character. and erron black just clicked with me when i saw him i was just like "oh fuck yes we will get along nicely"

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
- is this character a girl?
- do I like her costume?
- do I like her personality?

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Im typically drawn to a character based on their look and the personality that they portray. In most games it seems that Ive been drawn to the characters that havent had the best tools or abilities to win but I feel that its benefitted me.
As long as I have fun with the character winning and losing dont hold that much value to me.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
For me...

1) Do they look good? Yes/No
2) Are they fun to play? Yes / No

The ones that get two yes votes are the ones I choose from

Love the look of Kitana, Mileena and Raiden so always are a yes on point 1

However, I did not play them all in each game because they did not tick box 2 ... eg Kitana sucked in MKDA and I didn't find Raiden fun in MKD/DA so I did not play them

This is how I ended up with Tanya MK4 / Ashrah MKD and Ermac (who was second only to Kitana as most used) in MK9 - they ticked both boxes

I cannot play as character I do not like the look of ... it just not fun to me. I think Erron will be the one that suffers from this fissue in MKX... love the look of his game play, but I don't like his physical appearance so I can't see myself getting attached and probably wont play him much.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
I dont choose my main.....my main chooses me.
This is actually accurate. It comes down to comfort so I may like someone but if they dont feel right I'll have to keep playing others. I have Takeda squarely in my sights with scorpion, kenshi, Liu, and maybe a couple others on standby.

For MKX, I'm gonna pick a main to learn according to each play style from rushdown, zoning, anti-zoning, grappler, mixup, etc. and whoever feels the most comfortable for me that's who I'll use.

Method89

Noob
My go to character was always Scorpion.
But with Injustice, i just played the story mode where you got to play with almost each character, after the story i decided which character was most fun to play with and just sticked to that one.

For Mortal Kombat X I think I'm going to do a Simular thing. Just play story mode and go in deeper with the character that feels good to me.
For now I think I will stick to Scorpion and possibly Takeda, these looked good in the gameplay footage I saw, but I will most definitely try the same aproach as with Injustice