What's new

Question How do resets work in MK?

E

Eldriken

Wrong forum. =P (Someone moved it to the right forum)

But check out Cyrax reset videos on YouTube to see how they work.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Relocated your topic to the MK9 discussion section. Also, a Question prefix has been attached.

To answer your question, it depends entirely on what you mean by resets. You could be referring to one of the following situations:

1) Ending your combos in a way that leaves your opponent standing, so that they can't wake-up and you gain the opportunity to mix them up in all kinds of ways.
2) The scaling completely resets in the middle of the combo, basically making two combos in one with no way to escape aside from a breaker.

The first option can apply to more games than just MK9.

A block button certainly doesn't invalidate the existence of resets.

Relocated your topic to the MK9 discussion section. Also, a Question prefix has been attached.

To answer your question, it depends entirely on what you mean by resets. You could be referring to one of the following situations:

1) Ending your combos in a way that leaves your opponent standing, so that they can't wake-up and you gain the opportunity to mix them up in all kinds of ways.
2) The scaling completely resets in the middle of the combo, basically making two combos in one with no way to escape aside from a breaker.

The first option can apply to more games than just MK9.

A block button certainly doesn't invalidate the existence of resets.
Thanks for the edit and answer :)

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
To compliment Blake's post, here are characters with resets off the top.
Standing resets:
Scorpion, SZ, Baraka, Kabal, Sonya, Skarlet, Ermac, Stryker, Cyrax, Rain, Freddy, JC, Quan Chi.
I think Jade and Ermac have guaranteed d3 OTGs in the corner, but those really are not worth their trouble.

Damage resets: Jax (corner), Smoke, Cyrax

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
Legit resets: Usually a special move leaves the opponent standing while you're hella plus (i.e. Scorpion Spear/Johnny Cage nutpunch, etc.). Then if you have a vortex (Scorpion) you do a 50/50, or if you're Cage/Kabal/Sonya/etc. then you do a blockstring.

American resets: You think the opponent dropped a combo & you try to wake up or roll. However the opponent did this on purpose to blow you up & opens you up again because you were supposed to block. Some of these leave you backwards. Examples are the following...

With Reptile 1 1 2 ~forceball, 3 2~forceball, 3 2~dash crossover punch.
With Mileena 4 2~tele sai roll, b1 4, d1~tele

Legit Unblockable resets: Noob had a projectile that made it so the opponent couldn't block. If you were playing Noob, you'd do a corner combo that ends in EX shadow ball (which makes it so you can't block & reverses your controls). Then the opponent gets up & gets opened up again because they fucked up their wakeup and/or couldn't block. Quan Chi also had an EX special that was unblockable & left you at hella plus (called Rune Trap). So you would do a blockstring & end in Rune trap, rinse & repeat.

Bullshit Unblockable resets: Cyrax does a short combo that uses 1 net & the 2nd net leaves you standing into an unblockable bomb that takes you into the 2nd half of the combo. Also Smoke does f4~ex Smoke Bomb on an aerial opponent & the EX Smoke Bomb is essentially unblockable. Jax had a corner juggle that ended in an unblockable EX ground pound that would put in another combo. These were near 100% or actual 100% combos that weren't meant to be in the game.

Last edited:
Legit resets: Usually a special move leaves the opponent standing while you're hella plus (i.e. Scorpion Spear/Johnny Cage nutpunch, etc.). Then if you have a vortex (Scorpion) you do a 50/50, or if you're Cage/Kabal/Sonya/etc. then you do a blockstring.

American resets: You think the opponent dropped a combo & you try to wake up or roll. However the opponent opens you up again because you were supposed to block. Some of these leave you backwards. Examples are the following...

With Reptile 1 1 2 ~forceball, 3 2~forceball, 3 2~dash crossover punch.
With Mileena 4 3~tele sai roll, b1 4, d1~tele

Legit Unblockable resets: Noob had a projectile that made it so the opponent couldn't block. If you were playing Noob, you'd do a corner combo that ends in EX shadow ball (which makes it so you can't block & reverses your controls). Then the opponent gets up & get's opened up again because they fucked up their wakeup and/or couldn't block. Quan Chi also had an EX special that was unblockable & left you at hella plus (called Rune Trap). So you would do a blockstring & end in Rune trap, rinse & repeat.

Bullshit Unblockable resets: Cyrax does a short combo that uses 1 net & the 2nd net leaves you standing into an unblockable bomb that takes you into the 2nd half of the combo. Also Smoke does f4~ex Smoke Bomb on an aerial opponent & the EX Smoke Bomb is essentially unblockable. Jax had a corner juggle that ended in an unblockable EX ground pound that would put in another combo.
50/50's? I think I may have mis-interpreted what a block button does. I thought a block button blocks both lows,overheads, and all other attacks lol

Sami

Noob
If Mortal Kombat has a block button, then how would resets exist? Never owned a MK game in my life btw
Just FYI, even with the block button you still need to block at the correct height (standing vs overheads, crouch vs lows) so you can still be reset/opened up with 50/50s. The block-button will just automatically block left/right for you.

Pho Cubic

Sérieusement Sabrewulf peut aller en enfer.
50/50's? I think I may have mis-interpreted what a block button does. I thought a block button blocks both lows,overheads, and all other attacks lol
Pressing block by itself blocks high, mid, & overhead attacks. Pressing block + down blocks low attacks. Just as with other fighting games, you can't block overhead & low attacks at the same time.

The block button makes it easier to defend (you don't have to reverse direction on crossups). Back-to-block makes it easier to open people up. However in MK you don't want to just hold block because you will get chipped to death. Quan Chi Rune Trap technically did 40%+ chip lol.

Last edited:

Glass Sword

Nobody
Well for standing resets in MK for Sonya and Kabal... They both have a normal or a string that are flagged to stand up their opponent on hit ending a long combo with that leaves them standing with reasonable plus frame for the said character however unlike Baraka Sonya and Kabal can abuse the system mechanics of the game. Both these characters can cancel I to a special move from their standing reset and then cancel the special. What this does is give them more advantage after the stand up combo. By canceling it tricks the system into thinking you are going to do a special move which replaces your advantage on hit with your cancel advantage on hit, so instead of having say 3 plus frames they have around 20 which leaves no room for a reversal armor move before the follow up block string.

cyke_out

Noob
The block button just removes left/right mix ups, but high/low mix ups remain the same. But in MK, unlike Capcom games, everything does chip, even normals, so it discourages just holding block.

And while there are no cross up left/right mix ups, crossing over your opponent is still useful since it's much harder to anti air. So you are forced to block the cross up and then the block string, taking chip on everything.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
To compliment Blake's post, here are characters with resets off the top.
Standing resets:
Scorpion, SZ, Baraka, Kabal, Sonya, Skarlet, Ermac, Stryker, Cyrax, Rain, Freddy, JC, Quan Chi.
I think Jade and Ermac have guaranteed d3 OTGs in the corner, but those really are not worth their trouble.

Damage resets: Jax (corner), Smoke, Cyrax
You forgot Noob. Also Jade could OTG with 4 or 12 midscreen.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb. You can't combo into portal lol.