What's new

How do I avoid that locked-down feeling against teleporting characters?

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Title says it all, when I play against characters that can teleport I feel very locked down because they can just throw it out and check you, this is worse if it leads to combos (Scorpion) or has options (Kung Lao). Basically these characters can avoid neutal and interupt at will. They can also win any close fight because they are more or less guranteed to chip. Sometimes they can avoid pressure too by using the teleport as a wake up. I feel like these fighters can just avoid entire parts of the game. I have to be giving them way too much credit surely?

diLLa88

Noob
I've been having trouble as well with dealing with them, but that's mostly due to not recognizing a teleport happening. But in general with teleport, you can just block the teleport or its string and then you can punish it as these moves are generally unsafe to use.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
They can’t check you with it’s it’s a full combo punishable move. Instead of waiting for it make them use it when you want it by zoning them out, then they start respecting you and you can push forward. Kung Lao’s teleport is reactable so d2 them all you want. I hope pros agree with me

ATIWAB

Noob
If you're getting hit by raw teleports, it's a reaction time issue on your end. They all have long start-up times except Raiden's.

• Noob's teleport is a high. React by ducking and whiff punish.
• Kung Lao's is also a high and can be ducked and whiff punished, EXCEPT for the mid (DU4) which they're generally only going to use immediately after they hit you with the Throw tele trying to trigger the KB. If you get hit with the throw tele and they tele again, 90% of the time it's to KB with the DU4, so just block, but could be a trick to hit you with two throw teles in a row so also be prepared to duck it just in case.
• Scorpion is a little tricky because a) it's always a mid and b) it's fake-safe if he does it with any bar since can Amp it and you're basically forced to overhold your block when respecting his option to Amp, but if he does Amp it you're set up for a big punish on block. Just try to read when he's going to try it, usually if you're zoning him out and his spears keep not working he'll risk it to get in, otherwise don't see a lot of raw teleports.
• Liu Kang's is total bullshit, and I'm saying that as someone currently learning LK because of how much I hate his TP. It can OH or High or Low depending on his input, but at least he can't combo off of it.
• Raiden's is just for repositioning and has a fast startup time but longer recovery, doesn't hit on actual tele, so just react with your fastest punish. Recovery frames on it should give you plenty of time, but his can also be modified to do weird feint'y shit like TPing in place to fuck with you.
• Kollector's has a massive startup time -- 40 frames -- and you should be punishing him as soon as he appears since it also has a long recovery once he appears and he can't control the distance he appears at.
• Cetrion's has no auto-attack but can be targeted to certain spacing, and can feint like Raiden's. Also has a long recovery period and can be punished, the animation for it is something you'll just have to learn to react to.
• Kitana's isn't a "real" teleport, just some air shit, and everything she can do from it hits mid, so it's easy to block and I don't see anyone pick it.

They can avoid neutral to an extent, but raw TPs are a pretty bad idea for almost everyone except Scorpion forcing you to respect his Amp option because they can easily lead to a full combo punish.

Reactions: f24
Firstly, there isn't a wake up teleport in the game, if you see they are trying to teleport on wake up either stuff it or block and punish.

Secondly, if they just whip out teleport without any thought in the neutral just bait and punish. A lot of the teleport moves are pretty slow on start up (in relative terms towards other games) for example Lao throws his hat first. A simple s1 will punish it with most if not all characters.

You may not be able to zone as aggressively against teleporters but the bait and punish tactic will always work against those that use teleport as if it's safe. Hope it helps you out.

You can diagonal jump when you see LK go for his teleport and avoid it every time, It doesn’t track you. I play Kung Lao and was able to divekick punish 9/10 times. Teleport characters do make you play a bit more defensive, but you should also be provoking it for good damage.

Rizz091

Noob
If you're getting hit by raw teleports, it's a reaction time issue on your end. They all have long start-up times except Raiden's.

• Kung Lao's is also a high and can be ducked and whiff punished, EXCEPT for the mid (DU4) which they're generally only going to use immediately after they hit you with the Throw tele trying to trigger the KB. If you get hit with the throw tele and they tele again, 90% of the time it's to KB with the DU4, so just block, but could be a trick to hit you with two throw teles in a row so also be prepared to duck it just in case.
• Scorpion is a little tricky because a) it's always a mid and b) it's fake-safe if he does it with any bar since can Amp it and you're basically forced to overhold your block when respecting his option to Amp, but if he does Amp it you're set up for a big punish on block. Just try to read when he's going to try it, usually if you're zoning him out and his spears keep not working he'll risk it to get in, otherwise don't see a lot of raw teleports.
• Liu Kang's is total bullshit, and I'm saying that as someone currently learning LK because of how much I hate his TP. It can OH or High or Low depending on his input, but at least he can't combo off of it.
• Raiden's is just for repositioning and has a fast startup time but longer recovery, doesn't hit on actual tele, so just react with your fastest punish. Recovery frames on it should give you plenty of time, but his can also be modified to do weird feint'y shit like TPing in place to fuck with you.
• Kollector's has a massive startup time -- 40 frames -- and you should be punishing him as soon as he appears since it also has a long recovery once he appears and he can't control the distance he appears at.
• Cetrion's has no auto-attack but can be targeted to certain spacing, and can feint like Raiden's. Also has a long recovery period and can be punished, the animation for it is something you'll just have to learn to react to.
• Kitana's isn't a "real" teleport, just some air shit, and everything she can do from it hits mid, so it's easy to block and I don't see anyone pick it.

They can avoid neutral to an extent, but raw TPs are a pretty bad idea for almost everyone except Scorpion forcing you to respect his Amp option because they can easily lead to a full combo punish.
Just wanted to mention Lui Kang. Neutral jump beats every option from his teleport

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F

Kollector can control the distance at the cost of a defensive bar.

Kung laos teleport is only dangerous from the air and even then its easy to avoid and punish. I am playing kung lao and i prefer to use it really sparingly because its so easy to get punished after. Scorpion though is another story entirely. He his good recovery and makes your head spin. Practice block and punish.

medleyoz

Noob
Liu Kang's is total bullshit, and I'm saying that as someone currently learning LK because of how much I hate his TP. It can OH or High or Low depending on his input, but at least he can't combo off of it.
You can neutral jump kick/punch punish all options from Liu Kang's teleport