What's new

How did you pass Calculus? Any tips?

Practice a lot. That's how I got my A
I would love to focus just on my math class, but I have to worry about political science, psychology, English, and my first year seminar class :(. The transition from high school to college definitely is a big one, I got to adapt and learn the matchup :p.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
I would love to focus just on my math class, but I have to worry about political science, psychology, English, and my first year seminar class :(. The transition from high school to college definitely is a big one, I got to adapt and learn the matchup :p.
Lmao yeah I can't do essay's so I'm an engineer. You could do it dood

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I am in the school of Business, majoring in Accounting but may switch to either Finance or Business Management and Marketing because this management class is really piquing my interesting and seems far more interesting than Accounting.

So, I am taking 4 classes this quarter, 3 seem manageable as long as I study the material, and do the work.

But this is my first time taking a Calculus class, and it's Business Calc I (Math 135), I never took a Calc class before and even in my AP HS (which was a ghetto school so even with AP we didn't have great resources), they never taught us. I am rusty and forgot most material, Lol.

So, this class meets once a week and the teacher is a dud, he's nice, but assumes you're just as godlike as him in Math. So, tips appreciated.
Hope you don't have to ever take organic chemistry, it's almost as bad as calculus 1 and 2. Tips: if you have a solid foundation in math (algebra, statistics, geometry) you'll do well. If you're weak in math then change your major to the arts or media arts lol. Go with your strengths, that's the best advice you'll ever get for college.

Last edited:
I took Precal in highschool (got an A) and Calcuculs 1 in highschool (slept too much in class and got a B). Currently in college in which I got an A in Calculus 1, and Calculus 2 and am currently taking Calculus 3. I personally love math; it's my favorite subject so I guess I'm in the minority.

Most of the points have been touched upon already but I'll just use mine that helped me:

-Have a study group. If you can get a few people in your class to study with it makes a world of difference. This doesn't only apply to math but other subjects as well. You're more able to understand a concept or see other approaches with a group as opposed to being fixated on a problem by yourself.

-Experiment with the concept. Too many times most math students just memorize equations without understanding the purpose behind them. Play around with the equations and numbers a bit, and make your own problems. For example, in Calculus 3 we are learning about Quadric Surfaces so I plan to make my own problems and see how plugging in different numbers affects the graph.

-Visit your professor (if possible). This is dependent on which school or college you go to. I know in my college each professor has assigned office hours. I usually try to do the homework early, and the problems I get stuck on I ask for help. Be sure to showcase your ideas on how you got stuck and not just show up with no attempt of work on paper. A professor will be more inclined to help you if you are giving an effort to solve the problem but just can't get there.

-Go to youtube. There are some great tutors on youtube, so just in case you can't visit your professor there should be a good enough tutor on youtube that breaks the concept down well. The internet is an amazing source for understanding past material, so even if you have forgetten past conepts your still in luck.

-Visit tutor center. Our college also has a math resource center in which you can visit for help. I'm not sure if your college has this, but if it does I would suggest giving it a visit. Similar to the professor, it's important you show that you put effort in trying to solve the problem, as opposed to showing no work at all. It makes it easier for the tutor to identify were you are having trouble, and more easier for you to remember how to get past it

-Practice, practice, practice. I was told for every hour in class you should speed at least 2 hours outside of class studying for it. Practice makes perfect. Even if you understand a concept, then learn how to do it faster with less errors. As well as that, don't procrastinate. Calculus tends to build on previous subjects, so if you fall behind, it will begin to pile up.

Hope it helps :)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Lots of time spent in the learning center working problems and asking questions.

Had a group of like minded people who also wanted to succed around me.

Again, practice, practice, practice....

Learning calculus is like learning a language. Once you understand what the words are, how to use them, and how to construct a sentence, you can say / work everything (to a degree).

Last edited:

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
What if you're rusty or don't know some of the prerequisite material?
SUMARY OF THE COURSE:

I A Beginning Library of Elementary Functions (Text: Ch. 1.1 – 1.2)
1.0 Introduction. Basics, Terminology and Notations
1.0.1 Elementary Functions: Graphs and Transformations
1.1 Linear equations and inequalities
1.2 Review Exercises
II Additional Elementary Functions (Text: 2.1 – 2.6)
2.1 Quadratic Function
2.2 Elementary Functions
2.3 Quadratic Functions
2.4 Rational Functions
2.5 Exponential Functions
2.6 Logarithmic Functions
2.7 Review Exercises
III The Derivative (Text: 3.1 – 3.7)
3.1 Introduction to Limits
3.2 Limits and Continuity
3.3 Infinite Limits
3.4 The Derivative
3.5. Basic Differentiation Properties (Derivatives of Constants, Power Forms, and
Sums)
3.6 Differentials
3.7 Marginal Analysis
3.8 Review Exercises
IV Additional Derivative Topics (Text: 4.1 – 4.6)
4.1 The Constant e and Continuous Compound Interest
4.2 Derivatives of Logarithmic and Exponential Functions
4.3 Derivative of Products and Quotients
4.4 Chain Rule
4.5 Implicit Differentiations(*)
4.6 Related Rates(*)
4.7 Review Exercises
V Graphing and Optimization (Text: Ch. 5.1 – 5.5)
5.1 First Derivative and Graphs5.2 Second Derivative and Graphs
5.3 L’Hôpital’s Rule
5.4 Curve Sketching Technique
5.5 Absolute Extrema. Optimization
5.6 Review Exercises
Homework:
1. Review Exercises (Ch.1 – Ch.5)
2. http://mylabsplus.depaul.edu exercises

My Professor: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=361193

So after this weekend, I'll just spend all day studying, and stuff. Luckily it meets once a week, so I have time.
that has a lot of precalc for a calc class.
I was taking it early on this semester and we started with limits.
I had to drop out because there was a lot of precalc that I didn't know, trig identities and and some other stuff.
you can't do well in calc if your foundations are weak, khan academy is a great place to build strong foundations.
ask yourself, are you ready for calc?
if you aren't no effort will help you.
study hard and ask a shit ton of questions and you should be fine, as long as you have the foundations for it.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
What if you're rusty or don't know some of the prerequisite material?
SUMARY OF THE COURSE:

I A Beginning Library of Elementary Functions (Text: Ch. 1.1 – 1.2)
1.0 Introduction. Basics, Terminology and Notations
1.0.1 Elementary Functions: Graphs and Transformations
1.1 Linear equations and inequalities
1.2 Review Exercises
II Additional Elementary Functions (Text: 2.1 – 2.6)
2.1 Quadratic Function
2.2 Elementary Functions
2.3 Quadratic Functions
2.4 Rational Functions
2.5 Exponential Functions
2.6 Logarithmic Functions
2.7 Review Exercises
3.3 Infinite Limits
3.4 The Derivative
3.5. Basic Differentiation Properties (Derivatives of Constants, Power Forms, and
Sums)
3.6 Differentials
3.7 Marginal Analysis
3.8 Review Exercises
IV Additional Derivative Topics (Text: 4.1 – 4.6)
4.4 Chain Rule
4.5 Implicit Differentiations(*)
4.6 Related Rates(*)
4.7 Review Exercises
V Graphing and Optimization (Text: Ch. 5.1 – 5.5)
5.1 First Derivative and Graphs5.2 Second Derivative and Graphs
5.3 L’Hôpital’s Rule
5.4 Curve Sketching Technique
5.5 Absolute Extrema. Optimization
5.6 Review Exercises
Homework:
1. Review Exercises (Ch.1 – Ch.5)
2. http://mylabsplus.depaul.edu exercises

My Professor: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=361193

So after this weekend, I'll just spend all day studying, and stuff. Luckily it meets once a week, so I have time.

Dude... I passed calc 2 and I did awesome on everything.... except for the life of me I still don't understand limits. I just.... don't get it. I JUST DON'T GET LIMITS EVEN THOUGH I STILL PASSED CALC 2. HOW?! WTF?! Limit phobia.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I was a chemistry major in undergrad so I was pretty much forced to LEARN calculus. Had to take Calc 1-3, plus Physical Chemistry, Physics, etc so I suggest to learn the material and why you are using it instead of just memorizing it.

I would normally do every problem in a chapter a few times a week which would help me tremendously for exams to learn what formula or set to use.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Dude... I passed calc 2 and I did awesome on everything.... except for the life of me I still don't understand limits. I just.... don't get it. I JUST DON'T GET LIMITS EVEN THOUGH I STILL PASSED CALC 2. HOW?! WTF?! Limit phobia.
One of my favorite things about calc is that, at least for basic things in 2 dimensions, concepts are very visualizable. For limits you can draw the graph and say "there's no value there but if there were it would clearly be ____." (Then you have to learn to figure out that value algebraically, but the concept is there.)

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
What dont you understand? They not that complicated bruh

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Rough teacher... IMO I would do as much studying on your own as you can, especially if he lets the class go early all the time as it seems so in his reviews.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
i had no idea u were a CS major...i only had to go up to calc 2 lol. might PM u later

and yea, fuck calculus...
Yuppers. Lifelong computer nerd here. I mean, I finished college back in 2005, but whatever... I still hate calc to this day haha. Feel free to PM me about whatever. Professionally I mostly do C#.NET, SQL Server, some ASP.NET, and Xamarin.

We haven't started actual Calculus yet but I already feel dumb as hell. We were going over functions and I don't know what he's saying, I'm so lost. Luckily I have a week to catch up, I plan on going through all of Khan Academy's Algebra stuff, is that a good idea?

Last time I did advanced Algebra was in 09...I forgot everything.

He gave us a pre assessment, and I didn't know anything.

Almost had a panic attack today because everything is piling up and stressing me out and I don't really know how to handle stress well. Not to mention I have a romantic ordeal going on, oh, and I should probably mention I'm Indian, so families expects us to be successful.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
We haven't started actual Calculus yet but I already feel dumb as hell. We were going over functions and I don't know what he's saying, I'm so lost. Luckily I have a week to catch up, I plan on going through all of Khan Academy's Algebra stuff, is that a good idea?

Last time I did advanced Algebra was in 09...I forgot everything.

He gave us a pre assessment, and I didn't know anything.

Almost had a panic attack today because everything is piling up and stressing me out and I don't really know how to handle stress well. Not to mention I have a romantic ordeal going on, oh, and I should probably mention I'm Indian, so families expects us to be successful.
khan academy is your best bet.
khan academy has proven to be so fucking helpful to me.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Cheat off closest Asian. Got me through all my Science high school classes. Funny thing is Science is now my favorite subject, cheating off Asians is the best!

Didn't read any responses, so this advice probably has been mentioned. It's well known.

3.3 Infinite Limits
3.4 The Derivative
Sums)
3.6 Differentials

4.4 Chain Rule

So guys this is what my midterm is going to be on, this Tuesday lets hope I can understand it clearly, if you know any tips let me know!

Only about 10 questions, so about 17 with subset questions and I'll post anything here that I don't understand that cool?

We get negative points for answering wrong, so it's better not to answer.

@Skkra @Rodrigue @Eldriken

Last edited: