What's new

How can hits not trade?

I've never seen physical hits trade in MK9, so if you and your opponent toss out a melee attack that will land at the same time what does the game do?

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
Only time I've seen normals trade is when people do pokes that don't lead into combos, like most character's back 3. If someone catches you with their normals, they'll likely continue onto a combo to try to maximize that opportunity.

In MK, I've seen a lot more trades in fireballs and specials and that's usually to create and opportunity for a normal to combo scenario.

Dark_Rob

Noob
player 1 wins
That is not true. Although Mortal Kombat does not have hit trades(and never has in any MK game),who wins out if two hits hit on the same frame is determined randomly at the start of the match. You will never know whether it is player 1 or player 2 who has frame advantage until it actually happens.

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
That is not true. Although Mortal Kombat does not have hit trades(and never has in any MK game),who wins out if two hits hit on the same frame is determined randomly at the start of the match. You will never know whether it is player 1 or player 2 who has frame advantage until it actually happens.
Not really a good design though, especially for a fighting game: random = bad and not really fair, coz there may be instances of huge luck or unluck involved.

P.s. I saw simultaneous uppercuts wiff couple of times. It’s technically a trade: what about it?

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Not really a good design though, especially for a fighting game: random = bad and not really fair, coz there may be instances of huge luck or unluck involved.
This.

Especially in situations where a move will leave you at even frames on block or hit, and both players are competent enough at timing to hit something like crouching :fp on the first possible frame, which isn't far fetched at all at a high level.

Fulan

Noob
Wow, that is extra stupid game design. I could kind of accept it if was randomly decided at every insance of it occuring (like in ST if both players throw on the exact same frame, it's 50/50 every time). Still stupid but it doesn't happen THAT often and it would be fine. It getting decided at the start of a match who will win every single time is just dumb though.

In the absense of trades it should be based on dmg. Two attacks hit at the same time, the more damaging one wins. If both do the same dmg, then, errr I don't know, honestly there has to be some kind of system in place that allows for trades imo.

Thanks for the info, well uhhhhh...at least it's better than player 1 wins

P.s. I saw simultaneous uppercuts wiff couple of times. It’s technically a trade: what about it?
I believe that a character uppercuting only actually raises his/her "hitable box" after the uppercuts active frames are over so sweep or delayed uppercut beat uppercuts since uppercuts hit high. If two uppercuts of equal speed with equal active frames where to be used at the same time, neither would have a raised "hitable box" and both would whiff. Just my theory btw.

Also on the point of randomization, i guess it would be better to randomize every single instance, but then again, at the end of a game, will you actually be able to tell wether you or your opponent was the one who got screwed? I will honestly say, i've never really thought about this in this game, and i feel that it works as is. Even if there might be a minor flaw, it has clearly not been enough for me to notice or care about.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
In theory, it sucks. But in practice, it isn't that bad. "They say" that Ed Boon does not like trades. I'm curious as to whether that had to do with MK being a polar opposite of SF, as in SF, hits trade, but projectiles don't.