What's new

How are the villains "weak"?

Cicada 5

Noob
I keep saying this criticism about the NRS era and it completely baffles me. The last time the heroes had a clean, unambiguous victory was MK4 all the way back in 1997. Since the 2000s the heroes either lose (Deadly Alliance, Armageddon) or their victory comes at a terrible cost (Deception, 9 through 11). Yeah, they tend to lose in cutscenes but a good villain isn't just dangerous because they are good fighters. Fire God Liu Kang only made the most headway because he started using strategy rather than just relying on martial skill.

I'm willing to give a pass on Kronika if just because i'm ok with "protagonist tries really really hard and wins" nonsense.

The Kombat Kids dumpstering big bads like it was nothing was a major undermining of the work they did trying to build them up.

Cicada 5

Noob
Because Shinnok attained ultimate power and lost to a teenage girl who literally just received her powers.
You mean the young woman who was a trained soldier? And Shinnok 's past losses include a Bruce Lee clone who shoots fireballs and an assassin who has ice powers and no divine heritage.

Shinnok has never been all that impressive.

Kronika is the literal god of time and can will people in and out of existence, still somehow got smoked by someone she's watched fight in an infinite number of timelines.
I thought it was said he was immune to her time powers.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
You mean the young woman who was a trained soldier? And Shinnok 's past losses include a Bruce Lee clone who shoots fireballs and an assassin who has ice powers and no divine heritage.

Shinnok has never been all that impressive.
He's still a fucking Elder God, not that that means anything anymore if you look at Cetrion's useless ass. Liu Kang I'll give you, but Sub Zero didn't beat Shinnok at the end of Mythologies. He ran away from him.

I thought it was said he was immune to her time powers.
He was, but it still doesn't change the fact that Kronika has watched Liu Kang fight for a countless number of times. There's no shot he should have ever laid a hand on her.

Cicada 5

Noob
He's still a fucking Elder God, not that that means anything anymore if you look at Cetrion's useless ass. Liu Kang I'll give you, but Sub Zero didn't beat Shinnok at the end of Mythologies. He ran away from him.
He can defeat him depending on the player's choice. Either way, I can't blame Cassie for making Shinnok look like a fool when two guys did it in the Midway timeline.

He was, but it still doesn't change the fact that Kronika has watched Liu Kang fight for a countless number of times. There's no shot he should have ever laid a hand on her.
It seems she's only really dangerous because of her time powers and not much of a physical fighter. Take away her main trump card and there is nothing she can do.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I keep saying this criticism about the NRS era and it completely baffles me. The last time the heroes had a clean, unambiguous victory was MK4 all the way back in 1997. Since the 2000s the heroes either lose (Deadly Alliance, Armageddon) or their victory comes at a terrible cost (Deception, 9 through 11). Yeah, they tend to lose in cutscenes but a good villain isn't just dangerous because they are good fighters. Fire God Liu Kang only made the most headway because he started using strategy rather than just relying on martial skill.
You answered your own question. Because they lose ridiculously absurd situations that makes them feel very weak at times.

-Kung Lao beat Shang Tsung and Quan Chi at the same time.
-Stryker beat Kintaro 1 on 1 right after he just beat Mileena 1 on 1 right after he just beat Reptile 1 on 1 back to back to back.
-Speaking of which, Cyber-Sub beat Goro and Kintaro at the same time.
-Etc

All that was just MK9 lol. MKX didn't do any better.

-Kung Jin whooping the new Outworld ruler and making him submit. Jacqui also washed him up later.
-Sonya beating Quan Chi so bad she went full God of War 3
-Sindel killed half the heroes but a washed up retired old Jax beat her 1 on 1. Then he also beat Liu Kang.
-Cassie Cage giving the villain roster the 2006 John Cena treatment.

I could go on, but you get it. There are other ways to do the story if they wanted that wouldn't involve making the villains so weak.

Kotal Kahn was a joke. Shao Kahn was a fucking tank being able to best Raiden in 1v1, everyone feared him until Liu Kang defeated him twice. Kotal Kahn got his ass handed to him by a novice Shaolin archer. Then in MK11 writers went woke and let Kitana beat Shao fucking Kahn the Konquerer of Worlds. Only to make him OP in the Aftermath that he defeated Liu Kang 1vs1. I fucking hate the writers.

Cicada 5

Noob
Kotal Kahn was a joke. Shao Kahn was a fucking tank being able to best Raiden in 1v1, everyone feared him until Liu Kang defeated him twice. Kotal Kahn got his ass handed to him by a novice Shaolin archer. Then in MK11 writers went woke and let Kitana beat Shao fucking Kahn the Konquerer of Worlds. Only to make him OP in the Aftermath that he defeated Liu Kang 1vs1. I fucking hate the writers.
I feel like some people don't realize that the Kombat Kids aren't actually teenagers despite their nickname. Jin is not a novice, Cassie and Jacqui are experienced soldiers and Takeda is easily Scorpion's best student. These aren't scrappy nobodies Raiden picked from the streets.

And it's funny how people complain about Kahn looking weak in the NRS games when he won only one fight in the Midway games and has been shown as more of a physical threat in the NRS games (albeit with his tactical skills being downplayed). To say nothing of Kitana, a demigoddess with 10,000 years of experience and who would be very familiar with anything Kahn could do in a fight, defeating him is somehow less believable than the Bruce Lee clone who can shoot fireballs.

Last edited:
I feel like some people don't realize that Kombat Kids aren't actually teenagers despite their nickname. Jin is not a novice, Cassie and Jacqui are experienced soldiers and Takeda is easily Scorpion's best student. These aren't scrappy nobodies Raiden picked from the streets.

And it's funny how people complain about Kahn looking weak in the NRS games when he won only one fight in the Midway games and has been shown as more of a physical threat in the NRS games (albeit with his tactical skills being downplayed). To say nothing of Kitana, a demigoddess with 10,000 years of experience and who would be very familiar with anything Kahn could do in a fight, defeating him is somehow less believable than the Bruce Lee clone who can shoot fireballs.
Bullshit on everything. Kotal gets beaten by Kung Jin AND Jaqui while he destroys Goro like he's a jobber. Kitana might be a million years old she's still a character who can't beat Shao Kahn 1v1 while losing to Sindel twice, Sheeva, injured Jaqui and Takeda . The Bruce Lee clone was trained by a literal God and an Outworld master. He's Chosen One for a reason.

Cicada 5

Noob
If it happened in mk9 I wouldn't say anything but the last 5 years it's all about strong women who do impossible shit.
As opposed to the normal, grounded feats like ripping a person in half with your legs or making someone explode by kissing them.

Cicada 5

Noob
Bullshit on everything. Kotal gets beaten by Kung Jin AND Jaqui while he destroys Goro like he's a jobber. Kitana might be a million years old she's still a character who can't beat Shao Kahn 1v1 while losing to Sindel twice, Sheeva, injured Jaqui and Takeda . The Bruce Lee clone was trained by a literal God and an Outworld master. He's Chosen One for a reason.
Why is it that Kotal beating Goro is acceptable but Kitana losing to Sindel or Jacqui isn't considered jobbing? And 11 is the first time Kitana even fought Kahn one on one.

Liu Kang wasn't trained by Raiden and Kitana was trained by Kahn himself. She has more of a reason to beat Kahn than Liu Kang.

Why is it that Kotal beating Goro is acceptable but Kitana losing to Sindel or Jacqui isn't considered jobbing? And 11 is the first time Kitana even fought Kahn one on one.

Liu Kang wasn't trained by Raiden and Kitana was trained by Kahn himself. She has more of a reason to beat Kahn than Liu Kang.
Kotal beating Goro is another stupid thing if you ask me. Kitana can't beat Shao Kahn in a 1v1 fight. She just can't. Whoever wrote that is a moron or rebooted Shao Kahn was nerfed to shit in MK11. IN MK9 he destroys Johnny, Sonya and Raiden in one swoop. In the original timeline Taven says that whole realms tried to overthrow Shao Kahn and failed. As long as Kitana isn't the chosen one she can't beat Shao Kahn.