What's new

Help me choose my main (Scorpion? Reptile?) :D

retic

Noob
Hi guys,

I'm a 2 day old MK9 player, although I have been watching MU vids/combo vids in Youtube.

Right now, I enjoy playing as Scorpion and Reptile and I need help who to practice more as my "main" based on my fighting game history. I felt that Scorpion's gameplay is a lil bit more aggressive than Reptile's but idk...i'm a MK9 noob. I also don't see a lot of scorpion MU vids, so I'd also appreciate advice on how different the gameplay is bet. scorprion and reptile. :D

As far as fighting game history is concerned, I main Dictator in Vanilla SF4 and SSF4 AE, Feng in Tekken 5, Team ogres in Tekken Tag and a team of Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix in MvC3.

Thanks in advanced.... ;)

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Welcome to TYM!!! Flip a coin, heads Scorpion, tails Reptile. Whoever you get is your main, while whoever you don't becomes your secondary. Not only will you know what you want when you flip that coin, you'll also decide then and there

retic

Noob
thanks for the feedback. Research tells me that Reptile's supposedly "higher tier" compared to Scorpion mostly because he simply has zoning tools that are far superior (forceballs, acid spit, dash elbow to close in). despite these differences, would you say that scorpion should be played "more aggressively" than reptile?

maybe in terms of vanilla sf4....am I supposed play Reptile like sagat? or is he a pressure character like dictator?

thanks again

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
Reptile is great at rushdown and is also has an excellent zone game with his force balls. Scorpion is the all-around character that has many aspects but is still dependent on creating strings with his spear.

imo, Scorpion is easier to use but you'll get a faster and more satisfying game playing as Reptile.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I just wanted to give a little advice even though im not that great but its helped me. Stick to your main through thick and thin don't prioritize character choice by tier list roll with the punches learn the match ups.

Its not productive to be mediocre with 5 different characters, stick with someone and learn them inside out.

On topic, i would go with rept and sub scorp like daihuu said.

cgerrr

Tourney id: Gfc_alekS
Reptile all the way

Hi guys,

I'm a 2 day old MK9 player, although I have been watching MU vids/combo vids in Youtube.

Right now, I enjoy playing as Scorpion and Reptile and I need help who to practice more as my "main" based on my fighting game history. I felt that Scorpion's gameplay is a lil bit more aggressive than Reptile's but idk...i'm a MK9 noob. I also don't see a lot of scorpion MU vids, so I'd also appreciate advice on how different the gameplay is bet. scorprion and reptile. :D

As far as fighting game history is concerned, I main Dictator in Vanilla SF4 and SSF4 AE, Feng in Tekken 5, Team ogres in Tekken Tag and a team of Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix in MvC3.

Thanks in advanced.... ;)
Without a doubt: Reptile.

Scorpion just to weak of a character to be competitive with: mainly it’s his inability to go in, absence of any “get off me” move and unfavorable risk/reward ratio.

You can main more then one character its not like you have to choose and be stuck with one forever. Having both characters mained will help you learn their better match ups like scorpion may do better against X character then reptile or vice versa. I do think reptile is as stronger pick of the two.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Well heres some advice. I also main Bison in all three iterations of SF4. I main reptile. However, i do not feel like the two play even remotely close. Reptile is anyone plays similarly to akuma because of the Zoning and rushdowns combination(still this is a very loose base). I picked reptile for reptile and not really to translate my skills from one title to another. That being said, pick whoever feels natural to you. Scorpion plays more of a guessing game with his opponent, with the hellfire and teleport options, whereas reptile plays almost like a snake , where you wait and strike when you see an opening....and strike fairly hard. Hell, maybe as you continue to play, you could pick someone entirely different. If you have only been playing for 2 days give it some time before you commit. I started off with smoke, and now im in a different section of the player select screen. Hope that helped.

EDIT** Don't think just because reptile zones means that translates to a play style similarly to Sagat. Zoning in each game is completely different. Street fighter zoning doesn't have the danger of being teleported on before you can recover from full screen. The closest thing to a Sagat in MK9 is Noob Saibot but even then.....not the same

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I started with scorpion and switched to reptile after week 1. First off scorpions jump in 1/2 into either b+2 or f+3 xx spear is supposed to be one of his main mixups that lead to high damage but it's not even a true 50/50. Scorpion is primarily a rushdown character but risk plays too much of a role in his gameplay to be considered competitive. He does have good normals and I think a lot of them leave him at advantage but once it comes to landing real damage you have to take a risk. All that safe pressure means nothing when once you go for the big damage setup it get's blocked and you get hit by a full combo. Maybe he would be better if his 50/50 couldn't be reacted to with fuzzy guard.

Reptile has safe hit confirms, great zoning, high damage, a great x ray and is very versatile. He can play the close game and the zoning game depending on the matchup.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Go with Reptile, man. He has far more options than Scorpion to do some real damage. Scorpion needs to land his spear to actually hurt you.

retic

Noob
thanks for the advice guys. did some more training (after a temporary 1 week "no MK week"; blame Dragon Age: Origins. Hahahaha) and yeah; I could easily do a 39 - 41% combo with Scorp (I could consistently do a 33% with Reptile), but at times, I find myself nailing people with Reptile's 33% MORE often than a big easy-to-do combo with Scorp.

I wonder if the recent patch would affect Reptile; I read that his (some?) combos hurt MUCH less than it used to. Any feedback from the more seasoned Reptile users? :D

PS: also getting ready for a local tourney on June 25 :D