What's new

Hello from Orange County, CA

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Hey everyone. I'm a MK9 player on PS3 (lazybird123). I live in Orange County, CA and I'm looking to get to know people in the community to get better at the game. Long time MK player since the days of MK1 and 2, haven't played much since then, but I've been putting in some serious time on MK9. Favorites so far are Smoke, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Sektor and Kitana.

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
Welcome to TYM.

Have you signed up for the Revelations Major yet? Its gonna be hot!
Hotter than the mutha-effing Netherrealm son!

Welcome to the site as well. Enjoy the discussion and the character guides. Be sure to watch S1lent1 & Tom Brady show on justin.tv for more MK theorycraft.

lazybird123

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Wow, looks excellent. Do you recommend I work on one character till then or should I have more than one? I obviously am not planning on winning, but at least learn some new things
I think its good to have a main, and a secondary just in case you feel like you need to switch up.

Hey everyone. I'm a MK9 player on PS3 (lazybird123). I live in Orange County, CA and I'm looking to get to know people in the community to get better at the game. Long time MK player since the days of MK1 and 2, haven't played much since then, but I've been putting in some serious time on MK9. Favorites so far are Smoke, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Sektor and Kitana.
Hello back from a fellow OC'er =)

I live in Huntington Beach and main Raiden (and my wife mains Mileena lol). What part of OC are you in? Maybe we can get together for some matches.

lazybird123

Hello back from a fellow OC'er =)

I live in Huntington Beach and main Raiden (and my wife mains Mileena lol). What part of OC are you in? Maybe we can get together for some matches.
I live in Orange right by Yorba Linda right off of the 91 and Lakeview/Imperial.

Raiden huh? I haven't started messing with him yet.

lazybird123

I think its good to have a main, and a secondary just in case you feel like you need to switch up.
I might go out to the City of Industry thing tomorrow and I noticed you might be going, hopefully I'll meet you there. But I had another question if you don't mind. I'd like to switch up my two mains, right now I've been using Smoke as my main, with a mix of Sektor, Sub and Cage as my second (as much as I love Kitana I'm having a hard time using her against human players). Who do you think out of those three would be a good secondary character? Thanks man

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I might go out to the City of Industry thing tomorrow and I noticed you might be going, hopefully I'll meet you there. But I had another question if you don't mind. I'd like to switch up my two mains, right now I've been using Smoke as my main, with a mix of Sektor, Sub and Cage as my second (as much as I love Kitana I'm having a hard time using her against human players). Who do you think out of those three would be a good secondary character? Thanks man
I think Sub Zero has better matchups. But it all depends on who you feel comfortable with.

Awesome. I'm going into work way early and leaving early tomorrow so I can make the tournament. I'm actually in the video game industry so my work actually encourages us to get out there and enjoy the tournaments lol (even if we have to leave work early heh).

I started off with Smoke as my main as well, but as I my training buddies here at work started catching up skill wise, I realized that Smoke just has too many bad matchups. Against many of the characters, he is a beast... but against a few he just has some flaws, which is why I moved over to Raiden. I do use Smoke in tournaments at times (If I win the 1st match, but lose the second - if they counterpicked Raiden in the 2nd game with a character that is at a disadvantage against Smoke, I'll go with Smoke for the 3rd match). In the 3rd match they can't counterpick my Smoke as the match as a whole is over (unless it is a finals situation where it is best of 5).

Sub Zero is just an absolutely amazing character. I've been working on him for the last week or so, but my Sub is by no means tournament ready yet. I've committed myself to learning everything about Raiden that I can before putting a ton of effort into Sub. I really believe if you want to compete in tournaments you should have one absolute main, with just a character or 2 as backup for counterpicks.

Soooo I think I might give Sub a go if I were you!

lazybird123

Awesome. I'm going into work way early and leaving early tomorrow so I can make the tournament. I'm actually in the video game industry so my work actually encourages us to get out there and enjoy the tournaments lol (even if we have to leave work early heh).

I started off with Smoke as my main as well, but as I my training buddies here at work started catching up skill wise, I realized that Smoke just has too many bad matchups. Against many of the characters, he is a beast... but against a few he just has some flaws, which is why I moved over to Raiden. I do use Smoke in tournaments at times (If I win the 1st match, but lose the second - if they counterpicked Raiden in the 2nd game with a character that is at a disadvantage against Smoke, I'll go with Smoke for the 3rd match). In the 3rd match they can't counterpick my Smoke as the match as a whole is over (unless it is a finals situation where it is best of 5).

Sub Zero is just an absolutely amazing character. I've been working on him for the last week or so, but my Sub is by no means tournament ready yet. I've committed myself to learning everything about Raiden that I can before putting a ton of effort into Sub. I really believe if you want to compete in tournaments you should have one absolute main, with just a character or 2 as backup for counterpicks.

Soooo I think I might give Sub a go if I were you!
Thanks for your help bro. I JUST started with Sub-Zero recently, so I'm not that comfortable with him yet. I've been playing with Smoke since the game came out and I honestly haven't ran into many bad match-ups. Who do you think he matches up poorly against? I especially like to use him versus other teleport characters.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
LAZYBIRD: Hit me up on PSN as I live in Walnut and am pretty close. Connection should be "not as bad." I can also do a casual gathering nearby if you or someone hosts.

Also, I sadly cannot make the stupid tournament. I'm graduating on Sunday, which SUCKS because this is one tournament that I actually could have gone to if it were any other weekend. BLAH!

lazybird123

LAZYBIRD: Hit me up on PSN as I live in Walnut and am pretty close. Connection should be "not as bad." I can also do a casual gathering nearby if you or someone hosts.

Also, I sadly cannot make the stupid tournament. I'm graduating on Sunday, which SUCKS because this is one tournament that I actually could have gone to if it were any other weekend. BLAH!
I'll try to add you tonight. I have a Jiu-Jitsu class then I should be home around 8ish.

And the tournament is next-next weekend, not next weekend :)