What's new

Have we entered the Dark Era of The FGC?

Street fighter 5 will blow up the FGC scene just like sf4 did just because it is a completely new main title street fighter game. Somehow I have this bad feeling mk10 wont be the game we are waiting for especially since hector left nrs.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
KI has extremely low pre register numbers
I think KI being just on Xbox honestly really hurts its life. It is sad because even though I won't get it I really enjoy watching it and I think it looks like an incredible game. Not worth 550 bucks though IMO and I am going to wait it out for a PC release maybe in a year or so (fingers crossed)

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Street fighter 5 will blow up the FGC scene just like sf4 did just because it is a completely new main title street fighter game. Somehow I have this bad feeling mk10 wont be the game we are waiting for especially since hector left nrs.
i can see them doing updates for sf4 for many years to come yet so god knows when sf5 will be out.as for mk10 I still have faith

Flagg

Noob
oh my god,could u imagine that? Jesus that would be so bad,I can't see them being that stupid though.
See I wonder if they will try and make MK 10 like Tekken, only with the MK trade mark projectiles. If they have any sense they will continue down the 2.5 route that served SF IV and MK 9 so well.

As nice as MK 9 looks, and it looks really nice, imagine MK 10 using something like the KI engine.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
As for tournaments, I feel like there's no underdog aspect. When the games were new and the tournament streaming was new, you kind of knew who would win, but you rooted for upsets, and you got them. It's like the ncaa tournament. No one wants to watch the top people win every time. It's boring. Kusoru winning was hilarious. Now, it feels like there are less shenanigans, and surprises, and it's all pretty obvious who is going to win.
I wouldn't say that having a lot of top players at tournaments make them boring. I love seeing very high level play. But this is an interesting point, and I definitely see what you're saying. There should always be those hungry competitors though who have and will put in the time necessary to reach the top and upset. I think we saw some unexpected names in Evo top 8 for both SF and MVC, though like you said, it is Evo.

I'm long past having the time to actually be truly good at fighting games... I go to tournaments now for the fun of competiting, but mostly to see old friends and just hang out. I wonder if there are a lot of other people out there like me now - you've gotten older and don't really have time to play and be good anymore - but now, unlike me, they've just stopped going to tournaments as a result. You're certainly never going to compete against a sponsored player who is playing 4+ hours a day when you get to practice that much each week.

Interesting point you bring up.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
See I wonder if they will try and make MK 10 like Tekken, only with the MK trade mark projectiles. If they have any sense they will continue down the 2.5 route that served SF IV and MK 9 so well.

As nice as MK 9 looks, and it looks really nice, imagine MK 10 using something like the KI engine.
agreed man,even now mk9 is a fantastic looking game.thats what was so wrong with the 3d mk games,projectiles that u could just sidestep which basically meant there was no point in any of the characters having any need to use them which begged the question 'why give the characters projectiles in the first place?' shit made no sense at all.

Flagg

Noob
agreed man,even now mk9 is a fantastic looking game.thats what was so wrong with the 3d mk games,projectiles that u could just sidestep which basically meant there was no point in any of the characters having any need to use them which begged the question 'why give the characters projectiles in the first place?' shit made no sense at all.
With NRS having killed off virtually everyone in MK 9 except for Raiden, Cage, Sonya and QC....I dont know where they will go with MK 10? IF they did UMK9, which everyone wants, they could completely retcon the whole story, which would allow Jax, LK et. al back into the story and ultimately the game.

Theres a reason why games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibre are good at what they do....virtually no projectiles. I mean the projectiles in MK are almost as iconic as the ones in SF.

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
I'm going to break it down for you guys a few reasons why the FGC is in the spot its in

1. Threads and discussions like these. I'm not even going to spend that much time on it but you ever go to a party your like one of the first ones there and theres always that group of people bitching about how no ones there. Then more people join the group and by the time everyone shows up you have one half of the party full of negative people / people that are already leaving and another group who wants to fit in but cant because everyones too busy being negative. If you've ever been to a social gathering you know this happens...... often. Stop that shit, really, because usually the people that start this type of shit are stuck up bubblehead girls not to be offensive to any women out there in the FGC but there aren't that many of you out there and we don't need grown ass men acting like little girls.

2. Game consistency. RTS community is huge because its centered around 1 or 2 games and people are always playing those games. You wanna watch some starcraft theres always starcraft on, League always on, Dota always on. If a new fighting game were announced today the entire fgc would be picking "mains" hyping it up, playing it day 1 and dropping it in a month maybe 2 and going back to whatever they were playing, except the casual people, the viewers who we know know will become the tournament attendees, they don't give a shit because the game they were starting to get passionate about was mia all that time and they are now watching and participating in the league community. Granted I'll give other games the edge in that the support pipeline is a more streamlined. For real though when a new game comes out people need to stop Dropping the old game and maining the new one try the new games whatever but don't kill what you've built. TO's too really need to stop putting new unproven games in majors too especially EVO.

3. Be More Active about rulesets. The Let it rock attitude is what is degenerating the games and killing their lifespan this shit has PROVEN to be degenerative. Try Banning characters that are too good I don't mean on the new game either but UBER top tier characters kill games. 3s Never gets played because of how good you have to be to beat chun, You pretty much have to be lower elite player status or higher if they are intermediate or higher though you will get facerolled. Same goes for Sent in MVC2, Zero,Morrigan, and Vergil in Marvel 3 (another dying game right now) Kabal, Kenshi should have BEEN banned. You want to make the decision that keeps the largest chunk of the game intact and allow for the biggest amount of variation if the game balance is obviously fucked up. Play with different times round counts etc, stage interactables ,and none. I don't mean ask in the forum should this stuff be done so you can have negative nancies that will never have influence tell you leave it as it is. I mean people need to be communicating asking who would play in these kinds of settings and play tournies out even sets most important thing though is to play. Bans do not look bad to other communities or viewers it means you have a high level understanding of the game as a community and will take steps to preserve the games integrity where the developers did not.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
With NRS having killed off virtually everyone in MK 9 except for Raiden, Cage, Sonya and QC....I dont know where they will go with MK 10? IF they did UMK9, which everyone wants, they could completely retcon the whole story, which would allow Jax, LK et. al back into the story and ultimately the game.

Theres a reason why games like Virtua Fighter, Tekken and Soul Calibre are good at what they do....virtually no projectiles. I mean the projectiles in MK are almost as iconic as the ones in SF.
yeah it is going to be interesting where they take the story but if I'm honest it wouldn't bother me if the story was the stupidest shit ever as long as the gameplay was super solid.

i can see them doing updates for sf4 for many years to come yet so god knows when sf5 will be out.as for mk10 I still have faith
after ultra it will have been 5 years since a new street fighter came out. With the launch of the new next gen consoles I really think we will be seeing sf5 within 3 years, assuming it will ever come out ofcourse.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Well, a huge reason is that all games are catering to online, while all tournaments are offline.

There is virtually no recognition for winning a big FGC event. It doesn't make you prestigious it doesn't boost status...it just inflates self ego or makes you seem good in a group of hundreds. I get the strangest looks from my family when I tell them I have travelled to play fighting games...the stigma is still strong.

Aside from that, the young kids who are a huge market within these games will not travel and their parents are sure as heck not going to give them money to travel.

The mid-tier player will always want to travel early, but when the game gets fleshed out and they realize their character struggles with a lot of the cast they give up on travelling.

Also, right now the biggest reason for the KI low numbers are because most of us are still hoping some major meth head bought a console and wants to pawn it off for quick drug money lol

550 bucks is a lot to drop for a brand new console with no games.

macro

Eezeepeezee
Know what i think is funny the one game that keeps up to date just came out and has a full roster is
getting dropped we even have it on a new console
Injustice ladies and gentlemen

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Lot of truth in TakeAChance's post. I don't know enough about competitive video game tournaments in general. How does it work for other genres / games as far as turnout and payout? Does FGC stuff underperform statistically in comparison?

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
.. and dynamic sound, new level of mind games, easy barrier for entry, outstanding training mode, runs at 60 fps, will have continued support from both DH and MS, Orchid, best online ever made for a fighter... and all for $20
very true, I wish I was playing KI, but investing $500+ on the console its on is holding me back. I sure many would agree.

Goldi

Noob
The community seems smaller and more hostile than it did last year. For people like me that traveled often but were not top players it was the game (MK9) and the community that was alluring. Those have kinda changed.

I'll still go wherever MK is that seems friendly. I give no fucks about money or winning. Only doing this cause it's fun ;)

FGs have been very successful ("reborn") lately and that results in quite many of them being released and franchises revived. Maybe players are split up between more games now so entry numbers and stream Viewers for single games are lower, but Overall the fgc is the same size or even bigger. i mean, there were 9(!) games at evo, as much as never before.

coolwhip

Noob
Why is it hard to admit that NRS made two good, but flawed games. Honestly, had it not been for the input bug and P1 advantage MK9 would have been amazing. I'm not saying those were its only issues.

trufenix

bye felicia
Why is it hard to admit that NRS made two good, but flawed games. Honestly, had it not been for the input bug and P1 advantage MK9 would have been amazing. I'm not saying those were its only issues.
mk9 IS amazing but its achilles is not glitches, its shit balance. Well, shit balanace and shit net code. We would all shut our yaps about advantage and meter drain in a hurry if the bottom 20 characters weren't practically unplayable online or off.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
mk9 IS amazing but its achilles is not glitches, its shit balance. Well, shit balanace and shit net code. We would all shut our yaps about advantage and meter drain in a hurry if the bottom 20 characters weren't practically unplayable online or off.
Damn Warner Bros. Its their fault the game never got patched. I can honestly say I have never had a good time that compares to MK9. Its was perfect for me and everything I wanted.

An odd community, its either some people are bored or sick of paying a select fews paychecks. Didn't like Injustice, honestly I get the impression some people forced themselves to like it. But different people different things.