What's new

Hardest and eastiest characters to master and why?

twostep

Beefy Five Layer (;
What characters have the steepest learning curve? And what characters are easy to pick up and master?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Any character with a teleport will be easy to learn, just because there are more punishing options available against spammers. Beyond that, it becomes very personal, depending on your playstyle. For example, I've found Sub-Zero and Kenshi both easy to use as rush-down characters, but I have a hell of a time with Shang Tsung, who is a zoner.

JrK

Probably Drunk
I don't believe any are easy to master.

However ease of use to a "decent" level fluctuates as Lyuben said with Ermac vs Kitana. I would agree that Shang is probably the hardest to master.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Mastery is gonna be hard for any character. As JrK has stated, some characters are easier to get to a decent level with.

Easier - Ermac, Kano, Liu Kang, Raiden, Smoke, Sub-Zero
Harder - Kabal, Kitana, Jade, Mileena, Shang Tsung

I'd say Ermac and Liu kang are the 2 easier and Jade and Shang by far the hardest.

It's really different for everyone, though I think most will agree on Shang being one of the hardest. Oh well here's my list in terms of skill curve.

Easy:
-Ermac- easy to get a hang of
-Johnny Cage- has easy moves and very basic combos
-Baraka- he's a pretty basic character
-Rain- has a little of everything so he is easy because he's so versatile.

Mid:
-Noob
-Liu Kang
-Scorpion
-Reptile
-Kano
-Sindel
-Sub-Zero
-Skarlet
-Kenshi
-Cyrax
-Smoke
-Sektor
-Raiden
-Mileena
-Nightwolf
-Kung Lao
-Stryker
-Kitana
-Jade
-Sonya

Hardest:
-Sheeva
-Quan Chi
-Kabal
-Jax
-Cyber Sub-Zero
-Shang Tsung

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
i really had a hard time mastering reptile.. i feel like kabal is also very hard to master.. easy? maybe kano or sub

leek

Noob
I would suggest noob saibot as lower on the list (meaning harder to learn). He has some crazy ass mindgames and that sort but requires timing and conditioning your opponent to work against himself.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sub-Zero isn't easy at all. He's one of the hardest. Both Noob and Liu Kang are "easier" than Sub-Zero for me, personally. I don't think they're as good as Sub-Zero but they're easier. If you think Sub-Zero's easy, it's because you've only scratched the surface with him, and I would say there is not an "easy" character in the game. Maybe Ermac...

If the question is: who is it hardest to win with against good players, then you may as well turn the tier list upside down...

BookBurning

Voidwards
When the word mastering is added it becomes a whole different story than picking up. I personally believe that when you say "master" the gap between what is easier and what is more difficult becomes alot smaller because mastering implies spending a ton of time on that one character, which in that case, makes them all close to even.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
When the word mastering is added it becomes a whole different story than picking up. I personally believe that when you say "master" the gap between what is easier and what is more difficult becomes alot smaller because mastering implies spending a ton of time on that one character, which in that case, makes them all close to even.
completely agree with this statement.. i meant more like pickup and becoming somewhat good with