What's new

GVN Summer Jam V - 8/27 - 8/28 Philly, PA

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
There should be AT LEAST match videos of Skarlet vs. top players and local tournament wins before banning a character. Serious games don't ban characters because of what a handful of guys on a forum are saying.
I understand that completely. But there is footage out there of why a Skarlet player of equal, top end skill will always beat a Sub Zero (or Cage,Reptile,ect.) player (I'll try to find it). You're right though, it's not tournament footage. With that said, there is no way anyone can argue that a 17% throw is balanced.... or at least I'd like to hear an argument haha.

Don't get me wrong, I think these DLC characters need to be played and tested more. Why release DLC characters if they are going to be banned? All this playing and testing however needs to be done outside of majors though, would you not agree?

DanCock

Cock Master!!
dude and there's known facts that sindel always gets beat by raiden, reptile and Kung Lao players. pretty much those 3 plus cyrax own the roster.

scarlet doesn't own sindel, liu kang, smoke, nwolf and a bunch more of the roster. your argument is flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
How is Sindel in an un-winnable situation against Reptile (or anyone really)? Obviously it's a huge up-hill battle against Raiden, Kung Lao (or any teleport character for that mater, since your zoning strat is gone). This is why I would argue that Sindel is not a tournament capable character sadly. Regardless, there is a difference between a 7/3 and a 10/0.

You'll see a lot of characters more often than others due to people following what tournament winners have been playing. Ever since Michelangelo has been on his streak, Kabal is on the rise. I don't believe Sub Zero is a god like character, yet since Tom Brady plays him, you see him everywhere. JWong went with Kung Lao off the bat, and he's super popular now. Just wait until the next big name wins a major with Kano or Johnny Cage, then they'll rule the roster too.

THTB put it very well with Skarlet. If she has an advantage over a character, it's dramatic (9/1, 10/0). If she doesn't, it's closer to a 5/5. I don't believe my argument is flawed, I feel that any character who can put multiple characters into an un-winnable situation should not be allowed in tournament play.

I guess my theory is that Reptile, Raiden, Kung Lao, ect. are not broken characters; instead Sindel is... just in a bad way. I'd hate to talk tier so soon, but I would be shocked if Sindel is any higher than B tier. Mortal Kombat sadly seems like a game where if you are not using an A tier character, you're putting yourself in a rough spot. Does that mean all A tier characters should be banned? Not in my opinion, there's about 10+ characters that are tournament viable in my opinion (way more than most game...AE).

Noob
The Skarlet debate just means that SZ players will need to learn another character to counter her. Smoke eats her for breakfast. I'm not saying a 17% back throw isn't a glitch, it is, but at this point, if we want to know if she should or shouldn't be banned, we have to begin allowing her in tournaments. If someone runs away with a tournament using Skarlet, then it's a situation where we have to consider banning her. Otherwise, if Skarlet doesn't make top 8, then we don't have to worry about her. There's a lot to talk about regarding this, but the fact remains, Skarlet has a lot of winning matchups, but she also has trouble with teleporters.

Noob
Tom, the other thing you have to remember about teleporters is that you can bait bad TP's. It's a skill and requires setups, but it can be done. Characters like Sindel will have to rely on being sneaky and baiting bad stuff to win... you're right, it's an uphill battle but it can be won.

With regards to Skarlet, she does have a serious problem with many teleporters. Smoke, Noob, Raiden, Kung Lao. Even Scorpion's EX TP can get inside on her... same with Ermac. Jade can do her invincibility to get inside. Characters have a chance... you just have think in terms of matchups. There are many characters in the game and to say, "I shouldn't have to use someone other than my main to beat X character" is just another way of saying, "I'm not playing to win".

DanCock

Cock Master!!
sindels worst match up is vs reptile. her whole game revolves around keeping her foe away and she can't do it at all vs him. I wish I had time ATM to type more but I'm at work. my point is just because subzero sucks vs scarlet it doesn't mean she should be banned. just like sindel sucks vs half the roster doesn't mean they should be banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably will go. My 2nd tourney after ECT3. Three questions:

1. Are you doing any parking validation/stamps for people who park in the hotel garage?

2. When are we going to find out times for each game's start times?

3. When I try to register on the site, I can only pay for the venue fee, and not the separate game entry fees. Are the game fees only when I get there?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to Summer Jam. Given recent events in my life, I cannot justify the cost of a trip across country for the purpose of playing video games. I wish everyone the best of luck and hopefully I will be able to see you in the future.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm about 95% sure I'll be going to this. Will be first tourny for me unless something pops up locally.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I'm about 95% sure I'll be going to this. Will be first tourny for me unless something pops up locally.
Find something local before you do Summer Jam. Or just do Summer Jam....something big like this is something you can't miss. ECT3 was my first tournament and I wish I had done more local stuff first but I learned a TON from going to a major tournament like this and the experience is unmatched.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You know what? I just thought about it. I'm for Skarlet being allowed.

NoDoubt

nasty
Mr. base n Sans P want to know if they are allowed to enter Summer Jam UMK3 and have Shock play them both in casuals.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Mr. base n Sans P want to know if they are allowed to enter Summer Jam UMK3 and have Shock play them both in casuals.
Nobody is barred from entering a tournament. If they come down and pay the venue fee they can enter whatever tournament they like, however I seriously doubt Shock(or anyone else for that matter) would give them the time of day, let alone play them in casuals.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Nobody is barred from entering a tournament. If they come down and pay the venue fee they can enter whatever tournament they like, however I seriously doubt Shock(or anyone else for that matter) would give them the time of day, let alone play them in casuals.
LOL. If I hadn't met Shock personally at ECT, I wouldn't of never known that this was a joke lol.

NoDoubt

nasty
just so theres a finalized legit response, it would be good if shock can just state it right here

i hope i can make summer jam. i never find out im goin 2 these shitz till day before or...day of. : S lol.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Find something local before you do Summer Jam. Or just do Summer Jam....something big like this is something you can't miss. ECT3 was my first tournament and I wish I had done more local stuff first but I learned a TON from going to a major tournament like this and the experience is unmatched.
Lol, I would if anything existed locally. Right now there's me and one other person playing in Pittsburgh. As far as I know, there isn't anything else within a 5 hour drive (other than some small Cleveland tournies in August... might go for that)

Eazail

Noob
Lol, I would if anything existed locally. Right now there's me and one other person playing in Pittsburgh. As far as I know, there isn't anything else within a 5 hour drive (other than some small Cleveland tournies in August... might go for that)
Come to Swifttomhanks' place on Sundays, its right outside of Philly. Same state your in now. How far are you from Philly?