What's new

Gun Is The Best Defense! Gunshow wins Montreal Mayhem: X!

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
Montreal Mayhem: X

With the release of a new Mortal Kombat game, it is expected that a new influx of players would be ready to join the scene. So when @Ecodus, @Jer, and @zaf thought to run a big Montreal MKX tournament, neither of them thought they would have ended up getting the 36 man turnout that they pulled this Saturday. We had MK players come off of their breaks, we had players from other games try their luck on the new Fighting Game hotness, we got new people experiencing a tournament scene for the first time... We even had people come from out of province come out to this tournament. However it didn't matter where you came from or who you were... Everyone was looking to show that they were the best and everyone was out looking to collect that Poutine money!

Tournement Info

The tournament itself was ran with very basic rules. 2/3 until Grand/Loser's/Winner's Finals which would be 3/5. All set ups were on PS4, which definitely caused some problem because "lol Canada runs on batteries" however, our technology struggles didn't stop at the PS4s since we also had trouble getting the streaming equipment working causing there to be no stream for the event. I know there will be some hype phone camera videos and there is still actual in game saved match replays of grand finals that may get uploaded as well.

This was also our first Tournament at Smash Loft, a great place for fighting gamers in Montreal to go to play Smash, however they were gracious enough to allow us to use the space for our MKX tournament. Hopefully we'll be able to work with them more often as they were all great people and very helpful.

Top 8
Due to the scale of the tournament it was hard for me to follow everything and be able to comment on every match... And to be honest I don't think anyone would read thought ALL that text so, I'll focus on the part of the tournament that REALLY mattered.

As Top 8 started, we had our Winner's finals set to be @Ecodus and @xGunShow however as they waited in the Winner's Bracket, the Loser's Bracket still had @w1nter warz, @RM_Biohazard, @Jedah, @Snafoo, @zaf, and @Evil Canadian still trying to claw their way up to Grand Finals.

WinterWarz and Biohazard had to play each other at the start of Top 8 Loser's Bracket, this was literally Winter's 4th match in a row already defeating @Empress_Fantasy, @hayatei (AlexLOL?) and @CanadianBaconX. This caused Toronto Tournament Organizer @NeoRussell to start his "Winter Is Coming!" chant. The match itself had both players sticking to their mains with Winter running Buzz Saw Kung Lao and Bio running with Ruthless Ferra/Torr. It was a back and forth contest, coming down to a 2 - 1 victory for Winter keeping his hot streak alive.

The other match was between Jedah and Snafoo. Snafoo's Summoner Quan Chi was very impressive, using the bat for many surprising set ups however Jedah's Grand Master Sub-Zero held strong with his "broken corner" game to take the set 2 - 0.

With their wins Winter moved on to face Zaf while Jedah moved on to take on EvilCanadian. Winter's Buzzsaw Kung Lao seemed to be on point as his win streak continued taking Zaf's Master of Souls Ermac out with a hard fought but decisive 2 - 0 victory. On the other side of things Jedah kept the Montreal to Toronto ratio close taking out EvilCanadian's Piercing Mileena in a 2 - 0 of his own, which was unfortunate for Brockville, Ontario's EvilCanadian but, he did really well this tournament rolling through many opponents and lawn chairs.

With a spot in Loser's Finals on the line, WinterWarz and Jedah faced off in a very close set. It was back and forth. Winter looked like he had the advantage but, Jedah came around and brought things back just for winter to start to pull away from him. The last match came down to pixels but, a dropped combo and a bad jump sealed the deal for Jedah as, Warz spun his way to a 2 - 1 victory meaning he won 6 matches in a row to get himself into Loser's Finals. The way he was playing it really did seam that Russel was right and Winter was coming for that Grand Finals spot.

However Winter was finally able to get a break as it was time for Winner's Finals, moving to the first to 3 format, Montreal's Last Hope Ecodus sat down with his Full Auto Jacqui Briggs to face off with Gunshow's Spec Ops Cassie Cage. However the first matched seemed to be really rough for Cassie as Jacqui's machine gun of doom and well placed rockets formed a tough wall for Gunshow to get through costing him the first game. Seeing this as a problem, Gunshow switched things up and went to Necromancer Shinnok. The change paid off at first, as Gunshow was able to boss character himself a win. Unfortunately for the fallen elder god, it was all he was able to get as Jacqui adapted and used MORE BULLETS to take the next two games, allowing Ecodus to advance into Grand Finals with a 3 - 1.

Gunshow looked to bounce back in Loser's Finals as he faced off with the red hot WinterWarz. Gunshow went back to Spec Ops Cassie while Winter stuck true to his Buzzsaw Kung Lao all the way through. In the end Winter wasn't able to make it 7 wins in a row as Gunshow's barrage of missiles was too much for the Shaolin monk to handle, losing the set 3 - 2.

After the win, Gunshow moved on to Grand Finals getting his run back with Ecodus. Now at the set started Ecodus locked himself into his Full Auto Jacqui with confidence, however Gunshow realized that his missiles and bone hands weren't cutting it... So he turned to his pocket .30 caliber Outworld repeating long rifle with a switch to Marksman Erron Black. Ecodus' confidence began to slip as the clear lack of match up experience began to take over as he lost the first set 3 - 0 sending Ecodus into Loser's Bracket.

As the bracket reset, the two Grand Finalists remained on these two characters and variants. Ecodus showed some signs of adaptation but, it was too little too late. Gunshow continued his barrage of command grabs and gun cancels taking the second set with another 3 - 0 winning the tournament and all our Poutine money.

Final Results
1) xGunshow (Spec Ops Cassie Cage, Necromancer Shinnok, Marksman Erron Black)
2) Ecodus (Full Auto Jacqui Briggs)
3) W1nterWarz (Buzzsaw Kung Lao)
4) Jedah (Grandmaster Sub-Zero)
5) EvilCanadian (Piercing Mileena)
5) Zaf (Master of Souls Ermac)
7) RM Biohazard (Ruthless Ferra/Torr)
7) Snafoo (Summoner Quan Chi)

Full Bracket Here

Conclusion
Well that was one hell of a ride, was definitely the biggest NRS tournament I've ever been to in my area. I'm super excited to see how these things continue as the game matures. Hopefully we can expect to see good numbers for a long time in this game's life.

Even though this wasn't actually apart of a weekly RanBat or anything like that we can confirm that Ecodus followed the new rule implemented for MKX where second place has to buy everyone pizza. Thanks for the pizza friend, also shout outs to Pizza hype! "THERE IS CHEESE IN THE CRUST!!! :O "

Real shouts go to everyone that came out thought, especially those that travelled to come to this tournament. The Toronto group of @NeoRussell, @RM_Biohazard, @HoneyBee, @xGunShow, @w1nter warz, @DomChalant, @Empress_Fantasy, @L1FTER (anyone I miss?). And also shout outs @EvilCanadian (and your friend who I didn't get his name) for also coming in from Ontario.

@RM JagoBlake I know it's been a while but do you think you could give us some love?

Last edited:

hayatei

Noob
it was really fucking fun playing at the smash loft yesterday, glad this was my first tournament experience

i need to level up for the next one!!!

Reactions: zaf

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Had a lot of fun and was glad to show up. My friend I brought with me it was his first ever tournament was a great experience for him too.

Also learned my ass vs shitty plastic chairs is a 10-0 match.

*ed*

Brockville forever, the true hub of fighting games in Ontario. Why have a city of 4 million when you can have a tim horton and tractors.

Reactions: zaf

zaf

professor
@CanadianBaconX Great Write up Bro.

Thanks to all the toronto peeps for making it to this! Really appreciate it!
@DomChalant @Empress_Fantasy
@HoneyBee @RM_Biohazard @w1nter warz
Thanks @NeoRussell for bringing Ahzar.

@L1FTER dude if you want more range, why haven't I seen you use ninjitsu scorp?

Good shit to MTLSF @Jedah

Good shit to my boi @Ecodus. Here is your props you fucking fisherman. Your lure is all lubed up.

@xGunShow Thanks for coming and taking our money and laptop.

@Jer better luck next time bro! No worries I know you got this ;)

@REDARROWBUGGY7 Footsies > statistics bro