What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Are there any "pros" that are maining Green Lantern? I haven't seen him on any of the streams I've been watching, or at NLBC or Wednesday Night Fights. Want to see some actual competitive matches with him.
Not yet from what I've seen but guarantee we'll see him at Combo Breaker. I watched all of NLBC(Sonix Fox geesh!!) but didn't see WNF

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
So GL has been made into a zoner or at the very least they want him to be primarily a zoner. I've found that using b13 wall or b13 trait wall is good for establishing respect with mb option.

However something I'm messing with is after a knock down so mb beam or overcharged lantern, can we get a safe trait from full screen to resume the zoning or is there no other good time to get the trait off?
I would assume so but haven't tried this yet. As for the zoning mentality I agree but I think the same could be said about INJ1 but with a tad better tools. Mini Gun especially. I do personally think the new Lantern Blast is the successor to Oa's Rocket as in a forward moving blast in general, but the MB properties that the Rocket had will be missed

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Are there any "pros" that are maining Green Lantern? I haven't seen him on any of the streams I've been watching, or at NLBC or Wednesday Night Fights. Want to see some actual competitive matches with him.
There's ofidyan. I think that's all I seen. I have a set with Señor Abram if you're into those kinds of things

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I know it's early but how do you guys feel about GL is he struggling against certain characters or is he pretty solid
I think GL loses against any other proper zoner in the game. His projectiles just aren't on par. When it comes to rush down, wall/mb wall is a pretty good answer for when they get in. It's fininicky when it comes to crossups (sometimes it hits them other times it doesn't). His cross up game is still there but risky to go for, especially since NRS pushed him hard into zoner category. So not bad, he's actually good in my eyes, but people said top 5 and I'm not seeing answers for people like Fate/Deadshot/Firestorm that warrant that.

But across the board, I'd call him a solid character that's very fun to play. Plus we get the whole emotional spectrum now.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
I have been playing him, and I'm sorry guys, I gotta turn in my ring, put my red cape on and charge up my lighting strikes cause he feels like ass. I love the fact that b23 is now a true mid and 2231 is +1 but his specials kinda feel like hot steaming monkey shit, pardon my French. They nerfed lift, the range has been lessened, but that would be fine....if that also didn't kill the virtical hitbox. I was playing a set with my friend who is an aquaman player and he neutral jumps at the start of almost every round, I did lift, and got stabbed right in the eye, where if that where inj1 he be dead. Also for some reason I cannot hit mb lift, b3, j3, 223. Like it just doesn't work. Even crimson panther said he can't do it, now I could be wrong about the combo but as time goes on I think GL just doesn't fit my style anymore. Plus the loss of Oa's rocket was just awful. Thoughts, comments (which I know there will be), questions or concerns?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I have been playing him, and I'm sorry guys, I gotta turn in my ring, put my red cape on and charge up my lighting strikes cause he feels like ass. I love the fact that b23 is now a true mid and 2231 is +1 but his specials kinda feel like hot steaming monkey shit, pardon my French. They nerfed lift, the range has been lessened, but that would be fine....if that also didn't kill the virtical hitbox. I was playing a set with my friend who is an aquaman player and he neutral jumps at the start of almost every round, I did lift, and got stabbed right in the eye, where if that where inj1 he be dead. Also for some reason I cannot hit mb lift, b3, j3, 223. Like it just doesn't work. Even crimson panther said he can't do it, now I could be wrong about the combo but as time goes on I think GL just doesn't fit my style anymore. Plus the loss of Oa's rocket was just awful. Thoughts, comments (which I know there will be), questions or concerns?
Use wall for jump ins now. It gets the job done but we lost the ability to full combo punish jump ins. I hate it but that's facts now. As for your lift combo where you doing b1,3, trait lift 223 mb life? or raw mb life b3, j3, 223? If you did the trait version that's not gonna work anymore. If you were doing the non trait version that still works like clcok work.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Use wall for jump ins now. It gets the job done but we lost the ability to full combo punish jump ins. I hate it but that's facts now. As for your lift combo where you doing b1,3, trait lift 223 mb life? or raw mb life b3, j3, 223? If you did the trait version that's not gonna work anymore. If you were doing the non trait version that still works like clcok work.
Not I was doing the non trait version. But idk, I'm still wait for more new combos for him. I saw @OFIDYAN and @Orochi post some things but nothing to make me say for corp again. But again I may Change my mind as more combos and tech come out. Any one being able to get much of the lanterns battery mid screen besides lift? I just saw in a combo video but it's pretty touch and go. But I think that is best used as a corner combo.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
He seems less footsie based and more zoning based.

Quit asking for "pro players'" opinion on him. 75% of them are simply loud mouths who were good at MK Trilogy and get asked to go on podcasts that only them and the other hosts listen to.

Since he's relatively unchanged (at least in respect to his normals) from IGAU, build off of what you learned in that game and start incorporating more zoning and using the wall as counter zoning + safe wakeup/pressure.

Share tech and optimized combos if you find them.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
FYI, all these GL 50/50 setups can be completely negated with delayed wake-up. Considering your opponent also has the ability to wake-up with invincibility or back dash, I feel like we shouldn't rely on them like we did in Inj1.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Alright so recovery wise. Is wall a viable counter zoning option? Does it recover fast enough to keep up with the strong zoners?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Yeah, can someone help me out with the wall? I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of that move is supposed to be. When should I be using it?

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Yeah, can someone help me out with the wall? I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of that move is supposed to be. When should I be using it?
It was in the story mode so they thought it be cool to add it to his moveset.

Seriously though it's your go to wake up now and to absorb some projectiles. The mb version pushes them far away if you want to zone some, it may be useable for set ups in the corner haven't tested.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
A few general notes:

- B12 has a huge gap of at least 12 frames. Considering it leads to nothing, I feel this can only be used to condition an opponent to get hit by b1 staggers

- B13 still has a gap of I believe 5 frames. Can still be parried by some characters (Batman) and backdashed by everyone. Bane with trait active can just armor this gap, but MB B3/F3 won't work.

- In addition some characters that backdash this gap can full combo punish GL (Supergirl, Superman, Black Adam). Need to look into this more thoroughly.

- On the flip side, B1 staggers can catch an opponent trying to backdash. Some characters still get away like Captain Cold and Cheetah, but definitely viable in a lot of Mud

- B13 close battery bomb is our go-to for safe pressure with the removal of minigun. There is a gap between the string and the battery bomb, but can only be backdashed. Bane can armor through with trait. Nobody can backdash and full combo punish as far as I know, still needs testing.

- Close battery bomb is -8 with kinda weird blockstun and a little pushback, making it hard for some characters with 6/7 frame normals. However, be careful against 8 frame reversal specials (Firestorm, Flash, Robin).

Will post more after playing an extended set with @Poser Paul And @Mr Aquaman

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
It was in the story mode so they thought it be cool to add it to his moveset.

Seriously though it's your go to wake up now and to absorb some projectiles. The mb version pushes them far away if you want to zone some, it may be useable for set ups in the corner haven't tested.
Ah, OK. Thanks very much. Is it fully invincible on wakeup? I'll test when I get home from the office unless someone already knows.

So he seems kind of bad in this game. I think his biggest flaw is that they nerfed him in certain ways to force him to zone, but he's a subpar zoner with little mixup when he's close. I'd say the biggest difference between him and a competent zoning character like Deadshot is that the new mechanics placed in the game to hurt zoning are useful against GL, and not so much against the rest. He's also so basic that I've yet to find anything he couldn't already do in IJ1, which is a bummer. I'd put him in the bottom 10 as kind of average/not great, doubt he'll be represented much at all in competitive.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Alright so recovery wise. Is wall a viable counter zoning option? Does it recover fast enough to keep up with the strong zoners?
no it isnt. i tested it against firestorm and fate (and dont think ivy's drills can be blocked by it). with fate if youre completely fullscreen and time it perfectly and he never meter burns you can consistently block it will wall but you need that sitation. firestorm you have no chance of consistently blocking them. deadshot you cant use wall against and if he does his turn around shot that firee like 4 hits the wall doesnt absorb them all (just 1 i think)
so yea sorry guys but wall isnt viable for anti zoning in this game
He seems less footsie based and more zoning based.

Quit asking for "pro players'" opinion on him. 75% of them are simply loud mouths who were good at MK Trilogy and get asked to go on podcasts that only them and the other hosts listen to.
lmao this is so true

also just to ntoe his meter burn roll isnt a safe way to get in either, even if yor oppponent is zoning they and you get past the fireball there is enough recovery for them to block before you can attack or even punish you for it if you dont immediately block after the dash up. just sharing some things im testing right now

Last edited:
I notice you guys all divided on this chat but you guys that bashing him are using perfect opponent hypotheticals/harsh judgement because you don't like the adjustment to him being a more zone heavy character. Don't get me wrong I do feel your concerns on him he is not by far perfect but I do like his changes just he really needs a bit more frame tweaking to help push him to where they were trying to go with him. I find myself beating alot of people with him cause I adapted to his style given there are alot of bad players out there but also some really good one s I fought I can say hands down that fate,darkseid,and deadshot are his bad zone fights by far but firestorm I'm sorry I don't see it he can get in on that guy if you patient with his low traps at mid range firestorm is yours for the taking his wake up is very predictable and isn't safe enough to get gl off him.I feel people don take advantage of meter burn roll enough its great especially with gl you can back 13 easily after a good timed roll for mixup pressure.I also feel gl players arent taking full advantage of his trait into his zoning moves that slow moving batter lantern blast allows time for a meter burn dash in for good pressure/mixups.People also dont use his trait for the hard knock downs and the fast version of his battery which can help him alot in those zoning wars. But anyways I'll be attending a tournament tomorrow using him and my black adam I'll give you guys a tournament report based on what I feel were good fights and bad.Just so guys know I will not be using him for those bad zoning match ups with deadshot,darkseid,and fate I'll be using Adam for those fight as I feel alot more comfortable with my Adam in those match ups. But as far as everything else I will use gl to get a grip on how good he really is against the cast.

Last edited:

TylerLantern

POWER OF FEAR
This may have been answered earlier in the thread, but can anyone confirm or deny different chest logos for GL? I 100% know you can get a White Lantern chest logo, but beyond that, I am not sure.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I notice you guys all divided on this chat but you guys that bashing him are using perfect opponent hypotheticals/harsh judgement because you don't like the adjustment to him being a more zone heavy character. Don't get me wrong I do feel your concerns on him he is not by far perfect but I do like his changes just he really needs a bit more frame tweaking to help push him to where they were trying to go with him. I find myself beating alot of people with him cause I adapted to his style given there are alot of bad players out there but also some really good one s I fought I can say hands down that fate,darkseid,and deadshot are his bad zone fights by far but firestorm I'm sorry I don't see it he can get in on that guy if you patient with his low traps at mid range firestorm is yours for the taking his wake up is very predictable and isn't safe enough to get gl off him.I feel people don take advantage of meter burn roll enough its great especially with gl you can back 13 easily after a good timed roll for mixup pressure.I also feel gl players arent taking full advantage of his trait into his zoning moves that slow moving batter lantern blast allows time for a meter burn dash in for good pressure/mixups.People also dont use his trait for the hard knock downs and the fast version of his battery which can help him alot in those zoning wars. But anyways I'll be attending a tournament tomorrow using him and my black adam I'll give you guys a tournament report based on what I feel were good fights and bad.Just so guys know I will not be using him for those bad zoning match ups with deadshot,darkseid,and fate I'll be using Adam for those fight as I feel alot more comfortable with my Adam in those match ups. But as far as everything else I will use gl to get a grip on how good he really is against the cast.
Since you're playing both, what's your thoughts on GL vs Adam. i feel Adam outclasses GL in a lot of places. Better zoning, better punish potential, better mobility, etc. That's one of my nightmare matchups though that could be me not being able to play it.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
This may have been answered earlier in the thread, but can anyone confirm or deny different chest logos for GL? I 100% know you can get a White Lantern chest logo, but beyond that, I am not sure.
All 9 are in the game. But they're all rare/epic chest pieces (that's me guessing) so hard to get with rng

9_Lives

Noob
I haven't had the chance to play any good zoning chars yet but I feel like he has a good answer for most situations. I will admit I am a little intimidated by Doctor Fate, Deadshot and Black Adam. I might pocket like Aquaman eventually, but he seems pretty strong relative to wowo xD

Since you're playing both, what's your thoughts on GL vs Adam. i feel Adam outclasses GL in a lot of places. Better zoning, better punish potential, better mobility, etc. That's one of my nightmare matchups though that could be me not being able to play it.
Hmm this is a tuff one cause now black adam can play the netural game with gl now since he has that new fast string plus Adam hardly needs his meter to do high damage combos so as a adam player I can usually save meter for rolls,air tech,meter burn dive kick,meter burn low lightning,or clash. So that makes adam extremely more potent now but I do see that gl can low profile Adam's string with back 13.You do have to be cautious about the speed of Adam's move tho cause it is fast in this match gl only real friend is his zoning meter burn attacks and trying to bait adam in the netural game. But this fight is definitely in Adam's favor but not a complete disaster adam has no good wakeup anymore so hard knock downs is gl best friend to put alot of offense pressure on Adam. You just have to take this fight in a more offensive way and save meter for safe zoning,techs,rolls,and clash.Remember Adam's new string starts off as a high so take advantage do gl 7 frame down 1 into lanterns might for a hard punish or do back13

Last edited: