What's new

Green Lantern counter-pick?

Long story short, is there someone or some setup that ruins Green Lantern?

I don't really have a main right now, and if there is a hard counter for GL, then I'll pick that guy up just cause.

That's how much he's ruined my enjoyment of this game. In the space of a week it's gone from being something I was seriously considering supporting my local scene for, to now being here posting my last ditch effort to ever play this in a realm beyond my sofa.

Cheers.

LEGEND

YES!
i don't know if he has any seriously bad match ups. Whether it be on a basic or high level

i do know he has plenty of even (or close to it) match ups though, So as blunt and dickish as this might sound, You should probably just get better

You're right, that is blunt and dickish. But that's cool, you're probably absolutely right, and this game just isn't for me.

I must call bull to you "knowing" he has plenty of even matchups though. Seems to me like there isn't much 'getting better' I can do in the face of him having an overpowered move with crazy fast startup and an insane hitbox that gives combos for free all day in response to and in punishment of pretty much everything.

I have noticed a lot of GLs lately. Almost more than Deathstrokes.

For what little it's worth I find I do better against him as Sinestro, but that might just be my random luck with partners. :)

Play Doomsday.
Done that. Doesn't really work.

It might not be as bad on paper as my experience in direct PvP suggests it is, but the ring pulls you out of everything, and if they know the dash back in response to supernova(the jump up-body dive) that leaves doomsday with precisely no way of getting in.

Is GLs wakeup options as horrible as they are for everyone else in this game then?

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Done that. Doesn't really work.

It might not be as bad on paper as my experience in direct PvP suggests it is, but the ring pulls you out of everything, and if they know the dash back in response to supernova(the jump up-body dive) that leaves doomsday with precisely no way of getting in.

Is GLs wakeup options as horrible as they are for everyone else in this game then?
When you get a knockdown with your d3, your jump d3 will laugh at his LM, and Green Lantern's wakeup is terrible, just hit him.

Justice

Noob
The way GL is being played at the moment, any character that can dash (which is everyone) has a chance to blow GL up. GL really has no "hard counter-pick" yet but in my opinion, Catwoman can get under most of his shenanigans, Killer Frost is just a cold bitch :p to pretty much everyone, Doomsday can out-power him and Batman is... well... Batman ;)

Everyone has the tools to deal with the entire cast, some more easily than others. Just pick who you like, put the time in the lab, watch streams of GL, play GL to learn what he is and isn't capable of and the wins will come.

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
You're right, that is blunt and dickish. But that's cool, you're probably absolutely right, and this game just isn't for me.

I must call bull to you "knowing" he has plenty of even matchups though. Seems to me like there isn't much 'getting better' I can do in the face of him having an overpowered move with crazy fast startup and an insane hitbox that gives combos for free all day in response to and in punishment of pretty much everything.
That move is excellent, but there's a lot you can do, it's very negative on block. If he's using it at max range it can be hard to punish, but off the top of my head Flash gets a free hard knockdown and mixup, Raven gets a free combo, Deathstroke gets machinegun, Superman can super, Wonderwoman can stance cancel to shield charge and be at +13 in his face, Bane can get right through it on prediction with lv 1 Venom for twenty to thirty percent and a hard knockdown, Green Arrow can Ice Arrow and get full combo (If he had it loaded), Grundy can ex-swamp hands for full combo, Aquaman and Nightwing can seismo for full combo. . . the list goes on.

Basically the trick is to not jump, and to make sure you punish it whenever he whiffs it or you block it. Move in on him using block dashing if you are playing a RTSD or keep fullscreen (where it doesn't hit) if you're zoning. At medium range he only has three moves he can do the grab, which we saw above leads to punish, he can try to push you out with minigun (Which wastes a bar he needs to combo off the grab) or he'll go for B+1. B+1 is going to be followed by an overhead or a mid, if you play someone with a parry there's a gap there you can parry in, if you don't block low then high, and wait, he's either going to trait cancel grab or not, and he has to do it quick, you can full combo punish either on reaction.

Look, I found the matchup frustrating too, so I started looking at it. That's what I've learned just kinda recording him flowchart in training mode and seeing what I could do to get in and hurt him. He controls a lot of space, but it isn't safe unless he is at absolute max range and even then it's unsafe to all the stuff I listed above. So consider any of those characters decent counters since they strip even max ranged safe lantern grab. Just remember he wants you to jump, so don't. Also he'll try to grab dashes, but if you only dash when he is in recovery from gunshot/minigun/missiles then it's safe. If he isn't using his zoning tools, then you're free to counterzone or hell just walk up to him.

Characters with good low attacks (like Catwoman) give him bother since they can rely on those lows while he is unable to use his unblockable.

I personally do fine against him as Lex as I have a lot of moves that stop his grab in the middle of it (orbs, weapons locked) and have a long range sweep I can annoy him with.

Grundy feels a bit more even but any GL that solely relies on the unblockable can just be armored through with Walking Corpse or EX swamp hands for a full combo or grab chain.

Just got to watch their patterns if they get predictable with the unblockable ^^

JRosa21

Noob
Green lantern is probably one of the most well rounded characters, but nothing about him screams 'broken' to me. wait until you play the batmans and aquamans of the world...heck even supermans, deathstrokes doing two moves doomsdays raining down upon you or cyborgs not letting you play at all . I think GLs bad matchups are doomsday, supes, cyborg, and batman can get in really well. Batman's back113 can't be punished by GL from my exp anyway...

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
Characters with good low attacks (like Catwoman) give him bother since they can rely on those lows while he is unable to use his unblockable.

I personally do fine against him as Lex as I have a lot of moves that stop his grab in the middle of it (orbs, weapons locked) and have a long range sweep I can annoy him with.

Grundy feels a bit more even but any GL that solely relies on the unblockable can just be armored through with Walking Corpse or EX swamp hands for a full combo or grab chain.

Just got to watch their patterns if they get predictable with the unblockable ^^
Unblockable? It's not unblockable.

The hits after the initial grab will show unblockable, that's just how it shows any damage after the initial blockable hit.
Hmm may be my mistake though I swear Ive seen the intial grab say unblockabe a few times.

Either way what I've said whether it's a high or blockable can still hit him with lows or armor through it if they get predictable with it :V

JRosa21

Noob
Hmm may be my mistake though I swear Ive seen the intial grab say unblockabe a few times.

Either way what I've said whether it's a high or blockable can still hit him with lows or armor through it if they get predictable with it :V
it's not unblockable, but if you don't believe us...just go test it in the lab and see! :p

Error404

Noob
Long story short, is there someone or some setup that ruins Green Lantern?

I don't really have a main right now, and if there is a hard counter for GL, then I'll pick that guy up just cause.

That's how much he's ruined my enjoyment of this game. In the space of a week it's gone from being something I was seriously considering supporting my local scene for, to now being here posting my last ditch effort to ever play this in a realm beyond my sofa.

Cheers.
I've heard that none of his wake-up attacks can escape the Ares resets , if that's true i suppose Ares it is.Since he is a natural counter-zoner

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

I'd call bull on you giving up after a week. have you taken any time at all to see how GL is seeing you up? or why/how you struggle to get in? do you fail to punish stuff? There's practice mode with the ability to tell the AI what to do so you can practice certain setups and scenarios.

Or instead you can lose a couple times, not learn anything, and quit. that's what most of the top players do.

your choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Some good posts, go team, thank you all for your input. Not really anything to add though lol, I think the ball is very much in the court of GL players right now though. It's definitely *the* matchup to learn (also Batman?) if the streams are anything to go by.

@JRosa - The only thing broken about him imo isn't the ring itself(although I do think it's the single most powerful tool in the game). It's the amount of combo damage you can get for free once the ring connects.

A move that can catch people standing, dashing, in air, mid-move on response, punishing them, slicing, dicing, grinding and sauteeing off a single input is one thing, but that same move leading to 30+% combos?

Whatevs though, thank you all for the advice.

JRosa21

Noob
Some good posts, go team, thank you all for your input. Not really anything to add though lol, I think the ball is very much in the court of GL players right now though. It's definitely *the* matchup to learn (also Batman?) if the streams are anything to go by.

@JRosa - The only thing broken about him imo isn't the ring itself(although I do think it's the single most powerful tool in the game). It's the amount of combo damage you can get for free once the ring connects.

A move that can catch people standing, dashing, in air, mid-move on response, punishing them, slicing, dicing, grinding and sauteeing off a single input is one thing, but that same move leading to 30+% combos?

Whatevs though, thank you all for the advice.
what you don't realize is that GL has to burn meter to get ANY sort of decent damage and to be quite honest the way it's looking, 30% combos aren't anything compared to the 40 and up other characters get. Every character in this game has their dirt (except for joker he sucks, which I'm sad about) and that move is super punishable if read correctly so it's all about matchup exp, not the character per say. If someone is throwing out force lift like a loon, read it and punish it.

what you don't realize is that GL has to burn meter to get ANY sort of decent damage and to be quite honest the way it's looking, 30% combos aren't anything compared to the 40 and up other characters get. Every character in this game has their dirt (except for joker he sucks, which I'm sad about) and that move is super punishable if read correctly so it's all about matchup exp, not the character per say. If someone is throwing out force lift like a loon, read it and punish it.
See, I've read the bolded argument a number of times and it never sits well with me. My reading of that is basically "well, Solomon Grundy can do 52% damage combos with grab chains, and our character doesn't so it's fair".

It might be because I spent a couple of days with Doomsday, the character who actually has the lowest damage combos in the game, but straight up %'s don't really mean much in a vacuum. Doomsday doesn't do very much damage with his low hit-count combos, but the fact is when they hit you get ragdolled, knocked down, and then you have to potentially face them again and the offence can be quite difficult to stop, so that balances it out.

I'm not saying that GL has the highest damage output in the game and is therefore broke, what I'm saying is that it's easy for him to put you in a situation where you're eating a third of your bar. Or at least it certainly seems that way, with that nice lengthy grab animation that you can't break from and seems to give you half a minute to mentally prepare your combo.

JRosa21

Noob
See, I've read the bolded argument a number of times and it never sits well with me. My reading of that is basically "well, Solomon Grundy can do 52% damage combos with grab chains, and our character doesn't so it's fair".

It might be because I spent a couple of days with Doomsday, the character who actually has the lowest damage combos in the game, but straight up %'s don't really mean much in a vacuum. Doomsday doesn't do very much damage with his low hit-count combos, but the fact is when they hit you get ragdolled, knocked down, and then you have to potentially face them again and the offence can be quite difficult to stop, so that balances it out.

I'm not saying that GL has the highest damage output in the game and is therefore broke, what I'm saying is that it's easy for him to put you in a situation where you're eating a third of your bar. Or at least it certainly seems that way, with that nice lengthy grab animation that you can't break from and seems to give you half a minute to mentally prepare your combo.
but...you brought up percentages first...and now you say they don't mean much? lol also like I said later in that statement it's about matchup exp. you will learn where force lift can hit from (not long range only mid range and not when you are over GLs head) and learn how to punish him correctly. just play as many GLs as you can.

but...you brought up percentages first...and now you say they don't mean much? lol also like I said later in that statement it's about matchup exp. you will learn where force lift can hit from (not long range only mid range and not when you are over GLs head) and learn how to punish him correctly. just play as many GLs as you can.
That's why I said in a vacuum. What I brought up wasn't 'look how silly this average damage is!' it's, 'this move catches you doing everything and interrupts everything and forces you to play your entire game around it otherwise you lose fat chunks of life'.

JRosa21

Noob
That's why I said in a vacuum. What I brought up wasn't 'look how silly this average damage is!' it's, 'this move catches you doing everything and interrupts everything and forces you to play your entire game around it otherwise you lose fat chunks of life'.
again, matchup exp. don't jump in on lantern and expect not to get punished for it. this game is extremely read heavy so you gotta know what a lantern is gonna wanna do, read it, and punish it. don't give up cause you think something is good, find a way to beat it.