What's new

Gorilla Grodd General Discussion Thread

TRG

Grodd God
I missed what they changed with grodd, mind giving me a recap?
Bros like 50% of our complaints were just buffed.
stampede and ex stampede do more damage
trait activation can now be very quickly cancelled into push and immunity.
I think immunity got faster too but im writing this down live so i might have missed something.
Only thing you missed I think is more health.

Keep in mind guys they didn't go in depth on frame data so there's still a decent chance the gaps got fixed... We'll see.

Overall I'm very happy with the changes across the board for all characters.

Belial

Noob
Right now Grodd still looks like shit. Gotta wait for full patchnotes though.

Though from the way 16bit talked about it I got the impression thats just part of the buffs (probably major ones), so its quite possible to see some more fixes in initial patchnotes like having lesser gaps etc

Last edited:

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Did they say anything about his combo strings? Like the second hit whiffing sometimes after his low starter

Belial

Noob
After giving it more though it really depends on how much stampede damage got buffed. d1 into MB stampede reaching 20% lvl damage would be quite a powerful tool.

I was actually having this issue against @Anarquisto's Fate last night. None of Grodds buttons ATM except for d1 can punish it, and since the pushback is so massive Grodd can't even punish with that. But since it's -9 and s2 is 10 frames, if he tries to do anything after that, you get a free combo. And if he blocks it, you can start stampede pressure.
So I tested this and I'm not so sure.

At a ton of ranges 22 will actually whiff if Fate doesn't throw himself into Grodd with another f2.

But if Fate actually plays a regular neutral after f2db2 he can just whiff punish Grodd's 22 which has one of the worst recoveries in the game. And it's not like he has to bait anything. He just keeps floating back and if he sees 22 come out which has 33 frames of recovery (lol wtf NRS whyyyyyy) it's a free punish

I'm super hype for the stampede buffs.

I really wish they had actually demo'd the trait change though. I feel it's super hard to gauge the effectiveness otherwise.

Sounds very promising though.

At a ton of ranges 22 will actually whiff if Fate doesn't throw himself into Grodd with another f2.

But if Fate actually plays a regular neutral after f2db2 he can just whiff punish Grodd's 22 which has one of the worst recoveries in the game. And it's not like he has to bait anything. He just keeps floating back and if he sees 22 come out which has 33 frames of recovery (lol wtf NRS whyyyyyy) it's a free punish

Damn. Well then I guess that secret sweep is the only thing we can check with? I guess I never thought of Fate just walking back...

Belial

Noob

Grodd is not the character that locks opponent down on block or has great punishers. He is more about getting a read and get your offence going. Learn to use leap, dash, stampede cancels in neutral and footsies to start your game.
If it disappoints you too much then at least consider its just not right char for you.

Skedar70

Noob
The buffs target his get in game since he takes less damage, projectile immunity can be canceled from trait activation faster and stampede does more damage (remember it has armor). This is good, however, if the gaps remain on his two main strings (22, 112) he will be completely shut down once he gets in by the good players who know and exploit these gaps. No cancel pressure is possible against a player who exploits these gaps.

We might be stuck with just using B2 SC.

Does anyone know the frame data on 2 SC and 11 SC is it plus, neutral or negative?

Wow they didn't make his stampede cancels easier come on. It's good pressure but not cheap. Grodd needs that extra pressure. Why make it that hard and punishable if you mess up and he is not even top tier. I know omegak does them well but messes them up sometime people can just wait until you mess up the cancel and punish.....I mean why not wait the cancels hardly do any chip damage. He doesn't have a decent overhead or low and it's not a 50/50.....when you reset them people can easily fuzzy it. The majority of people who lose to grodd dont know the MU. His gaps in his string need fixing. Those stampede/trait buffs are a good start but he is still lacking :(

Mr. Freeze

Green Lantern and Grodd Main
Wow they didn't make his stampede cancels easier come on. It's good pressure but not cheap. Grodd needs that extra pressure. Why make it that hard and punishable if you mess up and he is not even top tier. I know omegak does them well but messes them up sometime people can just wait until you mess up the cancel and punish.....I mean why not wait the cancels hardly do any chip damage. He doesn't have a decent overhead or low and it's not a 50/50.....when you reset them people can easily fuzzy it. The majority of people who lose to grodd dont know the MU. His gaps in his string need fixing. Those stampede/trait buffs are a good start but he is still lacking :(
They didn't show the full patch notes so they may have adjusted more than what they talked about. They mainly talked about high level changes but the smaller frame changes are the ones that could make a big difference

The way 16 bit had to stop and think about what they actually changed pretty much tells us there is a few things left out that will be in the notes, I could be wrong just my guess.

DeftMonk

Noob
I mean you guys don't feel trait being special cancelable is huge? I'm just thinking about whiff punishing or aa'ing wirh trait db2 mb similar to trait canceling into lanterns might. Maybe I'm missing something. I was hype enough to try out grodd again when it hits(not like the devs are giving me a reason to keep playing joker)