What's new

Good defensive characters?

Who are some good defensive characters? I've been playing as jade recently, but she has no guide and I'm not a big fan of girls in fighting games.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I was gonna post about Kitana, but you don't like playing girls :(

Characters like:
Noob
Ermac
Stryker
Kabal
Sindel
Sektor
Reptile
Kano

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
I don't think there are any defensive characters in this game. You can't block and punish all day like in Street Fighter. It's an offensive geared game. I would probably use Kung Lao, because of his spin. You have to get them to come to you and defend against jumping attacks that way. Or sub zero with his Ice clones to try and get them to jump into it.

Perhaps you meant good counter attacking characters? In which case, you need the constant threat of a teleport or projectile evasion move. In which case I recommend scorpion, he's noob friendly, has a fast teleport, and can enhanced spear to counter most projectiles on reaction.

Maddox

Noob
Theres good Jade BnB guide here that might help you out abit:
if you decide to stick with her

As for defensive characters personally Im really in love with Sindels zoning, she also has alot of strings that toss full screen and great throw that works well with the zoning play.
If you arent into females Id try Ermac or Sub

Kano is really good as a zoner and defensive character, fast projectile with good damage, travel fast on screen and have quick recovery, different ball punishes for different kind of situations, air grab, unblockable grab :x that deal a raw 41% damage, you can even play him as a guile if you want, you just need to be carefull about spamming knifes against teleporters but if you are smart with your zoning, your projectile fast recovery can be used to bait teleporters into a lot of different punishes.

I have baited Smoke teleport with a knife and then :x him absorbing his first punch with the super armor and garbing him when he teleport again for the second hit, I was laughing so hard when I pulled that off, my friend changed the game after that. :p

Tim Static

Adminerator
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob

Ninja Edit: you dont like playing as girls in fighting games? wtf?

anyways, Jade puts out such low damage you really really have to play a tougher game and keep out of trouble. she isnt worth it at all, sadly because she is fun to use.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Yeah, me and tim had a long talk. As did me and krayzie bone this weekend at PU about jade.

I love jade but shes is definitely lacking in a ALOT of departments. But I am going to stay with her.

As for defensive characters offhand I'd say Noob definitely.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Yeah, me and time had a long talk. As did me and krayzie bone this weekend at PU about jade.

I love jade but shes is definitely lacking in a ALOT of departments. But I am going to stay with her.

As for defensive characters offhand I'd say Noob definitely.
Crazy you popped in after my comments lol. You still the man, Mister Ross.

NoDoubt

nasty
Sub-ZERO. And I would say this game is primarily zoner-based in my opinion since rushing is kinda like a guessing game and can get you in a lot of trouble with all these wake-up invisible moves characters have.

Neclord

Noob
I disagree about Jade.
41% combo damage without meter isn't really low imo.

And Shadow Glow was barely used.
This game is still new. :)

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
I disagree about Jade.
41% combo damage without meter isn't really low imo.

And Shadow Glow was barely used.
This game is still new. :)
Yes, I realized afterwards I barely used the Glow. But it was because I wasn't using my pad and I was having trouble on the pad I was using doing the input and I kept getting low boomerange some of the times I wanted glow. : D

But she is lacking in departments beleive it or not, When you compare her to other characters she definitely is lacking. AT Power up alot of people definitely agree.

I was playing Jade/Sindel at first but sindel damage wasn't cutting it for me.

Neclord

Noob
Yes, I realized afterwards I barely used the Glow. But it was because I wasn't using my pad and I was having trouble on the pad I was using doing the input and I kept getting low boomerange some of the times I wanted glow. : D

But she is lacking in departments beleive it or not, When you compare her to other characters she definitely is lacking. AT Power up alot of people definitely agree.

I was playing Jade/Sindel at first but sindel damage wasn't cutting it for me.
I believe you, I don't think she is top tier.
But I think she is upper mid tier, cause some of her specials are really good and her combo damage isn't low imo. :)

I believe you, I don't think she is top tier.
But I think she is upper mid tier, cause some of her specials are really good and her combo damage isn't low imo. :)
I REALLY~ hate to be the d-bag rolling in with an off-topic response, but since the Jade chatter's so low, I might chime in too. : V

Even if you got her to the point where glow missed %90 of projectiles, she'd still have issues with Cage, Raiden and Lao, as they just run in so hard and are used so often/flat easier to use.

Once people get it in their head they can keep Glow up most of the time when it counts, her game will rise, but for now she's still got doo doo mixes and untapped potential; I played Aoi in VF for years, and I didn't have much problem in tourny comp. B ) /offtopicrant=off

Yuna

Why am I so tall?
Sub-Zero is probably the best defensive character in the game. If played at his fullest potential, he's basically unapproachable without a teleport, and very difficult to pin down even if you do.

tehm

Noob
Once people get it in their head they can keep Glow up most of the time when it counts, her game will rise, but for now she's still got doo doo mixes and untapped potential; I played Aoi in VF for years, and I didn't have much problem in tourny comp. B ) /offtopicrant=off
You mean "Once people get it in their head that every bar = EX Invincibility ~= a free ~40% combo" her game will rise?

Shout outs to Jade basically getting Johnny Cage's X-Ray as an EX Special.

<.<