What's new

Getting Destroyed

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, total noobowisz here.

I'm getting frustrated w/ the game. I love this game more than any in a long long time and play a bunch of characters--practice combos ..can get a few 30%'ers down pretty well...but when i play online i get absolutely demolished by anyone with a clue. Not sure what my record is, but it's bad. prob like 50-200. something disgusting like that.
I use the xbox360 pad...could that be a part of the problem?
just keep practicing?
thanks guys. love this site/game.
RC

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
First of all, I absolutely abhor the 360 pad for fighting games but that cant't be the only problem. If you are aware of the basics and how to do bread and butters, then you need to account for your opponent. Online in MK9, with the current netcode, is greatly subject to quality difference.

Second, you need to be able to "know" your opponent. You need to be able to make predictions or reads into what your opponents plan is. If you know he jumps and teleports a lot, you need to adjust your game plan to defend and retaliate against it. It also helps if you're familiar with all of the characters combos and specials so that nothing catches you by surprise.

And yeah , perseverance and such, we all need experience and tribulations to make progress

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
Thanks guys. My gamertag on XBL is the same as my account name, R0bot1cColumbus. Not sure how to put it under my avatar yet but i'll fig it out later.
Do the TYM rooms have any special names or ways to find them?
I have a hard time doing some of the combos even in training...I'm not sure why...i'm just a little slow on the pad i guess...and then after a while the inside of my thumb/heel of my hand starts hurting :-(

Eight

I am the salt
Thanks guys. My gamertag on XBL is the same as my account name, R0bot1cColumbus. Not sure how to put it under my avatar yet but i'll fig it out later.
Do the TYM rooms have any special names or ways to find them?
I have a hard time doing some of the combos even in training...I'm not sure why...i'm just a little slow on the pad i guess...and then after a while the inside of my thumb/heel of my hand starts hurting :-(
Top right of page -> settings -> edit profile
its in there

well lol they're always named TYM or some variation thereof

00TYM
TYM
00TESTYOURMIGHT

you get the idea.

Combos are just practice, practice, practice. If Im having trouble with one, personally, I like to break it down into parts, perfect the execution on each part, and only then try to put it all together. But thats just me.

Buy a grip excerciser :).

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
haha i think i have one of those laying around in my basement. I'm a guitar playing so my grip should be fine...but i guess not.
I read in a different thread that it was a really bad idea to character jump. Is this true? I'm having a hard time choosing a solid main--too many of the characters are awesome and fun to use. Right now I'm rolling w/ Scorpion, Sub, Reptile, Cage, Noob, Smoke and Raiden.
And i just got flawlessed by Ermac---fuck Ermac.

Be very precise with the inputs, if you know you need to do 3 punches in a row, press 3 times, nothing less, nothing more.
I improved my combo-game alot once I just said to myself... "dude, you are mashing buttons, you know the combos, just press each button once!"

Eight

I am the salt
haha i think i have one of those laying around in my basement. I'm a guitar playing so my grip should be fine...but i guess not.
I read in a different thread that it was a really bad idea to character jump. Is this true? I'm having a hard time choosing a solid main--too many of the characters are awesome and fun to use. Right now I'm rolling w/ Scorpion, Sub, Reptile, Cage, Noob, Smoke and Raiden.
And i just got flawlessed by Ermac---fuck Ermac.
Haha your hand is used to shredding strings, not buttons.
Nah, theres nothing wrong with it. Just hop around until you find a character you really like, for any reason. I personally have one character I'm really good with (Cyrax) and two that I play for fun (Ermac and Sub). I chose Cyrax just because when I started playing him, I was like "whoa! this is fuckin' awesome!" and just stuck with him ever since. Character hopping does it make much more difficult to get in depth with any one character, and intimate familiarity with your character is a big factor in play strength.

Be very precise with the inputs, if you know you need to do 3 punches in a row, press 3 times, nothing less, nothing more.
I improved my combo-game alot once I just said to myself... "dude, you are mashing buttons, you know the combos, just press each button once!"
Good advice right here. Stay calm when you're doing your combos, one button mispress can drop it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Don't play online man. As a newer player, you may not even be aware of the delay when you encounter it. There's delay in every match in MK9 online, most which are unplayable. Find some players near you, and set up some offline casuals. After that, then we can talk about strategy.

Don't worry about your record i really dont think it means anything I have about 300-40 which is utter BS because people enjoyed playing me to what seemed like first to 20 but I know for a fact I'm not good enough I just use it for experience in anyway.

Also combos aren't everything - Mixups and defense among other things help just have to have certain fundamentals.
Yes try to play offline plus u could get help from players, I ask all the time and people are generous and even take time for more casuals.

practice practice practice. my record isnt anything to brag about ( 120 and 65). im also a noob. but just try out different characters. also take into account what person ur opponent is using. do they have a teleport? do they have good zoning skills? are they just mashing combos? are they countering your attacks well? if someone is juggling u like nothing and if so go fight someone more on your skill level. i try to stay away from people i know are going to beat me with ease. but try to slowly work your way up in skill. im sure someone else can help you better than me. if you were on ps3 i would love to match up with you. Donnismfwillin on psn if anyone wants to go ill be more than happy to just take it easy on me because i really am a nooblet

Don't worry about your record i really dont think it means anything I have about 300-40 which is utter BS because people enjoyed playing me to what seemed like first to 20 but I know for a fact I'm not good enough I just use it for experience in anyway.

Also combos aren't everything - Mixups and defense among other things help just have to have certain fundamentals.
Yes try to play offline plus u could get help from players, I ask all the time and people are generous and even take time for more casuals.
and yes what this guy said. combos arnt everything. mixing it up with air attack, ground attack, projectiles, try to jump in with an easy combo one time and the next jump in and sweep the guy. keep them guessing as much as possible. the more they guess, the better your chances are of executing your attack.

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
Thanks guys. I'm having a hard time settling on one character. Rushdown is my favorite form of offense, so I'll play somebody strong in that area like Johnny Cage or Kung Lao but then I'll get bored with them and re-develop my boner for all things ninja and go back to Sub/Smoke/Scorp. Then I'll have a hard time perfecting some of their combos and get frustrated after being bodied by good rushdown players and back to Cage/Lao/Liu. Once I even tried Raiden. Things were going great in practice mode....lol.
I'm going to stick with it and keep playing...look me up on XBL if you wanna play and let me know how hilarious my record is :)
I loked last night for the TYM rooms but didn't see any..may have been too late. I'm EST and stay up all night.
Peace bruhs.

i used to do that a lot too. just calm down and don't just try to mash out the combo. think about what you're doing but don't think too hard. another part of it is muscle memorization, at least on my part. it should come natural after you have done it MANY times in practice mode.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Here are a few recommendations, adhere to what you wish.

1. Play and focus on one player. The time you spent playing a bunch of characters, you could have gotten better with your main character. If you wish to remain playing casually instead of competitively, you don't have to do this. Playing for fun and playing to win, involves different mindsets.
2. Matchup knowledge. Know your opposing characters moveset, combos, tactics, what's safe and what's unsafe, and how to counter each.
3. Learn from your mistakes. If you can record a match, you can take a step back and analysis it. Where you went wrong and where you took damage.
4. Watch professional expert match up vids, and see what they do, try and understand it, and then try to incorporate it into your game.

If you can do 30%, then execution is not your main problem.

Hey, i know what your feeling.... and im sure most people on this forum do too. I was in a similar position when i started playin STF4 - and i was getting outplayed all time, it fustrated me, until i started to understand that when i got beat by a better player, it gave me an opportunity to think about what i done wrong.

The first thing i did when i got MK9 was to find a main, and then spent time in the practice area getting their specials down, block strings an b'n'b combos from jump ins and punishes. ALot of this game comes down to imput and understanding your opponent - like what has been said already

MK9 seems to play very back and forth, so you have to pick your opportunities to pressure and when to defend - without a good defensive, u will lose more than you win due to the occurance of naked x rays at amateur level online. I cant recount the number of times ive lost to scorpion because of his xray because im thinkin to much about pressuring and forgetting that he has an xray stored. So you need to get in the mindset of your opponent - much like poker - you have to think what you would do if you was in your opponents situation, and then adjust your game to fight. For example, whenever i play smoke or scorpion online i play more defensive and work more on punishing the random teleports which occur.... this doesnt work against better players, but more the majority of noobs, you can win games just on punishing unsafe attacks.

Once you feel more confident with your combos, your can work more on pressure, where percise important and control of space is more important. Stick with the game though...... online is a devil..... especially due to the input lag everyone suffers..... so combos are dropped more frequently online than offline..... so dont see it always as you doing it too fast all the time and thats why your dropping the combo.... but always work on staying calm and dont panick

If you can get on PSN im happy to help - im no expert, but i consider myself a good amateur player :)

First of all: choose a main. I normally walk all over the players that switch characters all the time, because they are just looking for easy match up wins. Doesn't work. The ones who really put some time into 1, or 2 characters, make sure they have their combos, their set ups, their offensive game, their defensive game, all of that together, are the ones that always do well. You need to know your character inside and out. Learning just one strategy with a character just means that you will get ruined by anyone who knows when to change their approach. Second, go into the lab, take your newly found main, and practice EVERYTHING. Do all his/her normals a hundred times, do all the specials, do the combos, everything, over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Finally, when you get into a game, watch your opponent, and really try to learn their weaknesses, you can't just go in an dthing LETS DO THIS!

The most important thing IMO to learn in any fighting game is defense.

Combo's are great and important too, however, it won't do you any good if you don't get to use them. Even if you like to rushdown, you may need to play defense to create that opening or knockdown.

Block and punish accordingly. I fact, you should really practice punish combos more so then jump-ins (especially ones that start from a simple 1 or 2 string since that have faster start up).

If you knock someone down you can continue the pressure but be mindful of wake-up moves.

Also, if there is lag sometimes you have to dumb things down in lag situations like uppercut instead of combo or go for more simple combo's.