What's new

Genuine longevity concerns from someone who actually plays fighting games at a pretty high level

G82Boost

I Play Raiden
I think there’s too many summon assist, there should be 2 ambush and 1 summon per assist. Crazy how limited this game feels compared to other assist based fighting games. Sektor’s TP, Cyrax’s bomb, goro’s punch walk being summon assist that lock you in place is such a bad thing. Some of the most fun times you have in assist games is creative block strings, you being locked in place completely prohibits that and other combo routes that may look cooler and be more optimal then what he already have. As an avid fighting game player imo there should be two ambush assist per character at least it will help the longevity of the game. It will take players especially good ones but so long to find BnBs. Also some moves are way too slow and render them almost useless unless your using a very specific assist, for example rain’s whirlpool is literally impossible to make useful without Cyrax and maybe sub zero. There’s too many restrictions that shouldn’t be there

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
This is late but I agree. Being locked in place feels like a cop out to actually balancing the assist. I used to hate team fighters but BBTag is one of my favorite fighting games of all time and has given me hope for team fighters.

What's even worse is how they add specific restrictions to some assists to prevent comboing like with Stryker grenades and Kano knives. They are still in hitstun while you're able to move but still cant combo because the game wont let you.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I'd like to see more ambushes in the future but every move can't be an ambush. Things like low hat or oh/low baton would be broken after.

NRS' bad longevity comes from WB not supporting their tournament scene. The average tournament player isn't going to spend over a grand to travel when prize pools are 1/10th of what other games are offering. Not to mention the average person doesn't have a grand to throw at a video game right now anyways.

Maybe it's just my area, but the vast majority of people showing up to my local are 30+. Our youngest guy might be 25. MK doesn't compete well against people's wives, kids, and mortgages.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Sounds like you want to play the game like something it's not. Too many ambush assists would ruin the game imo and I'm not trying to play MvC with MK characters. Some of the ambush assists are already some of the strongest in the game (Cyrax Chopper, Sektor Missile, Goro Up Arms, etc) so I actually don't want to see more of that all the time. The ratio of summon/ambush is fine.

G82Boost

I Play Raiden
Sounds like you want to play the game like something it's not. Too many ambush assists would ruin the game imo and I'm not trying to play MvC with MK characters. Some of the ambush assists are already some of the strongest in the game (Cyrax Chopper, Sektor Missile, Goro Up Arms, etc) so I actually don't want to see more of that all the time. The ratio of summon/ambush is fine.
What do you call too many ambush assist… I never said every assist needs to be that. Read what I wrote

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What do you call too many ambush assist… I never said every assist needs to be that. Read what I wrote
I did read what you wrote.

I think there’s too many summon assist, there should be 2 ambush and 1 summon per assist.
Is this not you? I think 2 ambush assists per Kameo is wild, and a game that I likely wouldn't enjoy at all. It would play like something completely different ya what we're playing right now.

G82Boost

I Play Raiden

Is this not you? I think 2 ambush assists per Kameo is wild, and a game that I likely wouldn't enjoy at all. It would play like something completely different ya what we're playing right now.
You really fucking didn’t, how is 2 too many does Kano not have 2 assists that are ambushes? How could you not want more of that? There are assist that are summons that are literally useless in this game. Having more ambush assist opens up the games creativity period. You used mvc as an example, and for the record marvel doesn’t work that way at all you choose an assist in that game out of the three a character has, you don’t have multiple assist from a single character you can use during a match. You have but so many options in that game (marvel)when it comes to creativity, there’s a reason why those games spefically 1,2, and 3 are still played to this day. There’s shit literally being discovered in marvel 2 STILL, DBFZ lasted so long for that exact reason there’s always something new being discovered…..creativity=longevity. I want to see your opinion on this game a year from now doing the same exact bnb ( because of the obvious restrictions NRS has put) the same blockstrings I can almost garuntee you assuming you actually play fighting games but judging by that marvel take you don’t, you will be bored out of your mind within a year. You know why mkx was played for so long and loved by so many people? Creativity…. Creativity in a fighting games equates to longevity history has showed that. You know what fighting games don't withstand the test of time? The ones that restrict you (MI11, Sam sho,etc).

SixPathsOfHate

I am fine with MK1 playing different. IMO MK1 isnt all that fun atm. Everything feels extremely limited and we are seeing the same combinations because of it. Yes, I understand people play what's good and often look to pros before picking a team but it this game is lacking heavily in exploration when compared to something like BBTag or MvC.

Unless I find some janky mess of an interaction, most of what is seen will continue to be seen down the line. Things like Darrius got overhyped before we realized you could delay tech and now he is one of the least picked assists in the game with his only consistent pick being Reiko. I just dont see this game being popular 2 years down the line without significant changes to everything. This game just feels rushed in all aspects. From balancing, to universal mechanics like meterburn uppercut and up block, to offline content. I truly believe them adding ambush and non ambush was a cheap way to balance moves and IMO it turned out terrible and a clunky mess.

Immortal

Blind justice....
IF anything the best assists need to be tone down in general coz it's pretty wild with Cyrax or Lao(low hat) now. Those either lock you in place for X seconds and you eat it insane chip and after that it's still not your turn or you "guess" on "Fun to Blockables" every few seconds in a game where many characters easily hit 40-50% combos all the time.

That shit needs to go.

Last edited:
NRS has (correctly, in my opinion) decided that certain tactics that are more general in other assist fighters are tied to specific Kameos here. If you want blockstrings, use Kameos that can do that. If there were more attack ambushes and every Kameo could jail you or throw out unsafe things and keep you safe, this particular game would suck. Because this game is not those other games. There's no pushblock. Movement is very grounded. The idea that Sektor TP be an ambush for example I find ludicrous. So Raiden gets full combo 50/50 any time and if you guess right you have to guess again because you're jailed? No thanks.

SixPathsOfHate

IF anything the best assists need to be tone down in general coz it's pretty wild with Cyrax or Lao(low hat) now. Those either lock you in place for X seconds and you eat it insane chip and after that it's still not your turn or you "guess" on "Fun to Blockables" every few seconds in a game where many character easily hit 40-50% combos all the time.

That shit needs to go.
Or we can get better defensive options so we can focus on buffing instead of nerfing.

SixPathsOfHate

NRS has (correctly, in my opinion) decided that certain tactics that are more general in other assist fighters are tied to specific Kameos here. If you want blockstrings, use Kameos that can do that. If there were more attack ambushes and every Kameo could jail you or throw out unsafe things and keep you safe, this particular game would suck. Because this game is not those other games. There's no pushblock. Movement is very grounded. The idea that Sektor TP be an ambush for example I find ludicrous. So Raiden gets full combo 50/50 any time and if you guess right you have to guess again because you're jailed? No thanks.
All I see when I read that is, "WE NEED BETTER DEFENSIVE OPTIONS"

Immortal

Blind justice....
Or we can get better defensive options so we can focus on buffing instead of nerfing.
No, there are no "better defensive options" to mitigate "Fun to Blockables" every 3 seconds and you eat 40-50% for not guessing correctly. Some shit needs to be tone down, "only buffing" as a balancing strategy is never correct. It's always a mix of buffs and nerfs. As thing stand right now, this shit needs nerfing, period.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You really fucking didn’t, how is 2 too many does Kano not have 2 assists that are ambushes? How could you not want more of that? There are assist that are summons that are literally useless in this game. Having more ambush assist opens up the games creativity period. You used mvc as an example, and for the record marvel doesn’t work that way at all you choose an assist in that game out of the three a character has, you don’t have multiple assist from a single character you can use during a match. You have but so many options in that game (marvel)when it comes to creativity, there’s a reason why those games spefically 1,2, and 3 are still played to this day. There’s shit literally being discovered in marvel 2 STILL, DBFZ lasted so long for that exact reason there’s always something new being discovered…..creativity=longevity. I want to see your opinion on this game a year from now doing the same exact bnb ( because of the obvious restrictions NRS has put) the same blockstrings I can almost garuntee you assuming you actually play fighting games but judging by that marvel take you don’t, you will be bored out of your mind within a year. You know why mkx was played for so long and loved by so many people? Creativity…. Creativity in a fighting games equates to longevity history has showed that. You know what fighting games don't withstand the test of time? The ones that restrict you (MI11, Sam sho,etc).
You sound a bit angry bro. It's okay if someone doesn't agree that more ambush Kameos are good. Breathe.

I am fine with MK1 playing different. IMO MK1 isnt all that fun atm. Everything feels extremely limited and we are seeing the same combinations because of it. Yes, I understand people play what's good and often look to pros before picking a team but it this game is lacking heavily in exploration when compared to something like BBTag or MvC.

Unless I find some janky mess of an interaction, most of what is seen will continue to be seen down the line. Things like Darrius got overhyped before we realized you could delay tech and now he is one of the least picked assists in the game with his only consistent pick being Reiko. I just dont see this game being popular 2 years down the line without significant changes to everything. This game just feels rushed in all aspects. From balancing, to universal mechanics like meterburn uppercut and up block, to offline content. I truly believe them adding ambush and non ambush was a cheap way to balance moves and IMO it turned out terrible and a clunky mess.
I don't agree at all. I think the game is immensely fun, and has a lot to explore. It's the players fault for all jumping on the Raiden/Johnny type easy mode bandwagons instead of exploring the depth characters like Geras who seem to have insane potential or some of the other Kameos potential that is basically untapped that people are just starting to realize. Some Kameos people are literally just learning you can combo certain moves with. There's a lot unexplored remaining.

I'll be the first to agree the game was rushed. I mean online practice mode says "Coming Soon" lol doesn't get more obvious than that. But as they add more content to the game they'll also be adding more patches and etc to gameplay. Wonkiness needs to be ironed out, but the core is strong and I wouldn't be surprised to see them add gameplay changes like a PushBlock or something considering there were actual structural changes in MKX and MK11 during it's lifespan. Early on I already knew something was off with MK11, but this game is fun. All that will enhance the play though. But this "more ambush " suggestion is trash lol, I'm already not too crazy about a lot of the ambush going on, so imagine if there was double or triple the amount. We say how hard it is to balance them, but then want to massively increase the amount of them? If you don't like the game well that's a different conversation altogether when trying to say it should be changed. But this just isn't a good gameplay idea imo.

SixPathsOfHate

Ok they just need to add pushblock, soft knockdowns, techrolling, and air block and then we can talk about Sektor TP being an ambush
I had several other changes in mind but that could work too.
No, there are no "better defensive options" to mitigate "Fun to Blockables" every 3 seconds and you eat 40-50% for not guessing correctly. Some shit needs to be tone down, "only buffing" as a balancing strategy is never correct. It's always a mix of buffs and nerfs. As thing stand right now, this shit needs nerfing, period.
But there are. Better reversals, more options on block and hit would deal with this. 50% per hit would be fine if there were enough ways to deal with it before and during it.
You sound a bit angry bro. It's okay if someone doesn't agree that more ambush Kameos are good. Breathe.

I don't agree at all. I think the game is immensely fun, and has a lot to explore. It's the players fault for all jumping on the Raiden/Johnny type easy mode bandwagons instead of exploring the depth characters like Geras who seem to have insane potential or some of the other Kameos potential that is basically untapped that people are just starting to realize. Some Kameos people are literally just learning you can combo certain moves with. There's a lot unexplored remaining.

I'll be the first to agree the game was rushed. I mean online practice mode says "Coming Soon" lol doesn't get more obvious than that. But as they add more content to the game they'll also be adding more patches and etc to gameplay. Wonkiness needs to be ironed out, but the core is strong and I wouldn't be surprised to see them add gameplay changes like a PushBlock or something considering there were actual structural changes in MKX and MK11 during it's lifespan. Early on I already knew something was off with MK11, but this game is fun. All that will enhance the play though. But this "more ambush " suggestion is trash lol, I'm already not too crazy about a lot of the ambush going on, so imagine if there was double or triple the amount. We say how hard it is to balance them, but then want to massively increase the amount of them? If you don't like the game well that's a different conversation altogether when trying to say it should be changed. But this just isn't a good gameplay idea imo.
Agree to disagree

Apock

Noob
IF anything the best assists need to be tone down in general coz it's pretty wild with Cyrax or Lao(low hat) now. Those either lock you in place for X seconds and you eat it insane chip and after that it's still not your turn or you "guess" on "Fun to Blockables" every few seconds in a game where many characters easily hit 40-50% combos all the time.

That shit needs to go.
Low hat is summon I think.

G82Boost

I Play Raiden
Imagine if it was an ambush. :DOGE
and your saying that like it would be the most obnoxious thing in the world like cyrax's helicopter isn't that but on steroids, what would make that move bad as an ambush becuase you cant combo after it, there are ambush assist in the game that literally don't allow you to combo after it, they can easily just change the frame data on that move or give it a longer cooldown.... solved problem. You aren't even thinking about the shit you're saying

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
The game is fun af AS IS. I don't need to be dealing with an 18 frame King Jerrod Achilles ambush while metalcore crab walking to reiko's ninja star bullshit in the name of "longevity." Most MK9 heads have had their flame rekindled and thoroughly enjoy the offering.

OP sounds like he wants DBZ in an NRS vehicle. Get that Gouki garbo tf out of here friend.

G82Boost

I Play Raiden
The game is fun af AS IS. I don't need to be dealing with an 18 frame King Jerrod Achilles ambush while metalcore crab walking to reiko's ninja star bullshit in the name of "longevity." Most MK9 heads have had their flame rekindled and thoroughly enjoy the offering.

OP sounds like he wants DBZ in an NRS vehicle. Get that Gouki garbo tf out of here friend.
Most MK9 heads had their flame rekindled by a game that literally plays nothing like mk9. The one similarity between this and that game is pokes working like they did then… but ok same for you a year from now let’s see what your opinion is

G82Boost

I Play Raiden

Dbz, mvc, skullgirls, bbtag, have all had longer life spans then mk11 which this games is the most like. Take out the dumbass wake up system, break aways, add assist and a little more frames on hit and block and you get this game. But we’ll see….like I said a year from now I wanna see