What's new

General discussion Tech/Strategy/Questions

ryublaze

Noob
Dash forward halfway after NJP. When doing JK Tele I input it like this: 3, D, B, 3 Don't wait, just input it in one smooth motion.

I think you can use negative edge in your favor for this, to reduce the second input of 3 no?

So, 3, D,B, let go of 3.

Hope this helps! :)

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
I think you can use negative edge in your favor for this, to reduce the second input of 3 no?

So, 3, D,B, let go of 3.

Hope this helps! :)
It works the other way around dude. tap 3 then down back. If you hold it wont work.

Vagrant

Noob
Dash forward halfway after NJP. When doing JK Tele I input it like this: 3, D, B, 3 Don't wait, just input it in one smooth motion.
This did it. I noticed I waould wait too long after hitting with jk and then try to tele super fast. Really all I needed to do was smoothen out the inputs. Thanks much guys!

Vagrant

Noob
This seems to be my single biggest weakness. When being pressured I have a tough time finding my way out.

My Habbits-
1. Wait for a break in the strings and cross over jump punch.

This works once or twice against a skilled opponent and then is immediately countered with njp......and I eat another combo

2. Ex tele.

The problem with this is the startup on it is so damn slow that 75% of the time it doesn't get off and if a skilled player reads it it gets down 1'd

3. Ex spear

This has saved my ass a few times but if it whiffs..... GG

I'm wondering if maybe it's in my fundamentals and less oriented on the character. Can you guys suggest some tactics on countering/ escaping pressure w/ scorp? I'm no pro but I'm not a scrub either, my reaction time is respectable, and I know most matchups pressure techniques...

Any help much apreciated as always. Thx guys

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Down 1 bro. scorpions d1 is very decent for breaking pressure. Plus if you happen to catch them trying to cross you up, you get a vortex set up

Sent from Somewhere to Somewhere Else

Vagrant

Noob
How the hell are people stringing that into spear/ tele?! It's so quick and I can't figure out how to buffer/ negedge it!

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
How the hell are people stringing that into spear/ tele?! It's so quick and I can't figure out how to buffer/ negedge it!
D1b3 for d1 tele. You can set the practice dummy to jump and practice it that way. As for d1 into spear. It just takes practice.
Another thing I wanna add, is to try not to use ex tele to get out of pressure. Its not armored. If you feel you need to burn meter to get out of pressure, ex takedown works well. But for ex tele Its pretty good though for getting out of the corner on wake up, cause on hit it grants a a full combo into vortex setup.(ex tele, 21, 21, 33xxspear) and on block its +10, so you get free 33 pressure to follow up. But you can get down poked out of it.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
1. Jump isn't bad

2. Ex tele is a bad idea. It only has invicibility on wake-up, not under pressure. Never use this.

3. Ex Spear is good if your getting pressured by standing moves, not so much low pokes like d3 and stuff. Gotta be smart with this one.

As someone mentioned before, d1 is the best best.

Ex takedown is also one of his best options, if not the best.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
D1b3 for d1 tele. You can set the practice dummy to jump and practice it that way. As for d1 into spear. It just takes practice.
Another thing I wanna add, is to try not to use ex tele to get out of pressure. Its not armored. If you feel you need to burn meter to get out of pressure, ex takedown works well. But for ex tele Its pretty good though for getting out of the corner on wake up, cause on hit it grants a a full combo into vortex setup.(ex tele, 21, 21, 33xxspear) and on block its +10, so you get free 33 pressure to follow up. But you can get down poked out of it.
Adding to this, even though I dont play scorpion but d1b3 utilizes input bug so I would assume since d1, d+f1 and d+b1 all get you a d1, that d+b1b1 will get you d1 into spear (assuming bb1 is spear input) :) And just in general uppercut is a good option. Not sure whether scorp has a quick one or not but it is usually a good defensive option. Jump kicks are good too. And just mix up ways to escape pressure. Predictability = punishment!! That also reminds me, Vagrant talked about getting njp'd but you have an air throw that should shut that option out everytime and leads to a free hellfire, right?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Adding to this, even though I dont play scorpion but d1b3 utilizes input bug so I would assume since d1, d+f1 and d+b1 all get you a d1, that d+b1b1 will get you d1 into spear (assuming bb1 is spear input) :) And just in general uppercut is a good option. Not sure whether scorp has a quick one or not but it is usually a good defensive option. Jump kicks are good too. And just mix up ways to escape pressure. Predictability = punishment!! That also reminds me, Vagrant talked about getting njp'd but you have an air throw that should shut that option out everytime and leads to a free hellfire, right?
yes, I forgot to add that, If im trying to jump out of pressure, which is rare unless I read a cross up, Ill sometimes go for the jkxxairthrow as the safer option as opposed to taking an air-to-air into vortex setup. But if im applying pressure and I read a cross up, you bet im going for a vortex set up :D

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I usually use d1 or d3 as my escape route from pressure. EX Takedown can also be effective, provided you have the meter on hand. It's somewhat safe on block, too.

Do NOT abuse that EX Teleport. Even if done as an instant-air like someone here suggested, it is still a two-part attack that can be interrupted and punished before the second strike lands. As it has no armor and is not a trustworthy Wake-Up, your use of this move must be very limited. I could condone it as an escape route from the corner, I suppose, but some players will be expecting that.

EX Spear can also work, but as you already realized...it's risky as it can be ducked at close-range. I wouldn't trust that move too much.

Vagrant

Noob
Wow thanks a ton guys, working on that d1, spear/ tele and ex takedown is proving pretty damn reliable as well.

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

I usually use d1 or d3 as my escape route from pressure. EX Takedown can also be effective, provided you have the meter on hand. It's somewhat safe on block, too.

Do NOT abuse that EX Teleport. Even if done as an instant-air like someone here suggested, it is still a two-part attack that can be interrupted and punished before the second strike lands. As it has no armor and is not a trustworthy Wake-Up, your use of this move must be very limited. I could condone it as an escape route from the corner, I suppose, but some players will be expecting that.

EX Spear can also work, but as you already realized...it's risky as it can be ducked at close-range. I wouldn't trust that move too much.
Just to let everybody know, d3is not a good poke for scorpion its negative on hit and block, the pokes to go are d1 and d4. d4 should be used around the furthest possible distant imo and can linked to takedown if you want.

Vagrant you know what really improved my game? footsies, around jump in range(just outside jump range maybe) I like to turtle with scorpion, you can walk in for d4 and if they jump you can down 1 them. b2 is a really good punish on whiffed strings also( especially johnny cage for example.

The way I learned it is playing against johnny cage in training mode(if you have a friend that plays johnny that would be perfect) johnny is the perfect training partner for scorpion to learn footsies imo, since he doesnt have any specials that change his jumps and he doesnt have teleports and that kind of stuff. if johnny cage tries a shadow kick its really risky for them because if you do a d4 or d1 at the same times it will whiff for a full combo. flip kick is also d1 teleport combo punish. Johnny cage is definitely my favorite matchup.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Slips , PimpUigi Ok, I'm new to maining scorpion(used to play sub until playing sets against bradys KL and Raiden but that's a different story lol), and I gotta say, I'm in love with these setups. Theyre so dirty :). My only question is about the consistency. I typically leave out the first b2 to keep the 2nd spear follow up as ambiguous as possible, but sometimes the 2nd spear still whiffs. Am I inputting the jk~ tele to fast? I figure it might be that I'm not hitting them at the apex of the njp bounce, but I figured I'd defer this to the experts because I'm having trouble finding a discernable pattern...thanx in advance :)

Edit: I missed the post on the previous page, im doing it too late...carry on :)
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
If you successfully land an anti-air uppercut on your opponent and they fly right over your head, you can cancel a d1 into a Teleport Punch and complete a combo that will lead you right into Scorpion's infamous vortex, all while inflicting a nice 40% meterless damage. I dunno if this is already known, but I wanted to help present an anti-air option for Scorpion. Check out the below video I uploaded and leave your feedback.