What's new

General DC News: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to play Black Adam in upcoming film

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
What Error said. I've never felt the rock inhabits dark brooding serious types very comfortably. He does much better when he makes use of his boyish charm and surprisingly natural sense of comedic timing.
Has he really been given a shot at that since he stopped being a shitty actor? Last few roles have been comedic, ya know?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I love the Rock, but the dude is not built for drama. Either they are reducing Black Adam to a meathead or this will not end well.
I don't think playing an angry guy on a quest for revenge is that dramatic.

He isn't soul searching or trying to find answers, Black Adam just wants revenge and to kill Captain Marvel, at least in hist first appearance. I don't know if they're going to bring Khandaq into the movie or not, but i'm assuming it's just going to be Shazam's story and he shows up similar to that Shazam/Superman movie minus the Superman parts.

That's like saying Kratos would be too dramatic to play.

That said, Black Adam more character development and a lot of other things behind him, but my point still stands.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
DC is t trying to bring in more comic fans through video games, movies, shows,etc. They're getting the lesser known characters out there. It's proper smart.

I don't think playing an angry guy on a quest for revenge is that dramatic.

He isn't soul searching or trying to find answers, Black Adam just wants revenge and to kill Captain Marvel, at least in hist first appearance. I don't know if they're going to bring Khandaq into the movie or not, but i'm assuming it's just going to be Shazam's story and he shows up similar to that Shazam/Superman movie minus the Superman parts.

That's like saying Kratos would be too dramatic to play.

That said, Black Adam more character development and a lot of other things behind him, but my point still stands.
Well the point isn't necessarily that Black Adam is a complicated and deeply dramatic role, just that he does require a certain quality and range that not just any actor could bring. There are plenty of fantastic actors who have been miscast in roles that they just didn't have the right qualities for.
The Rock has shown himself to be very capable and charismatic in roles that exploit his talents...but he does have a limited range.

Still...I think he'll probably be ok in the part and I wouldn't be surprised if it was written/rewritten with him in mind just to make sure. I think he'll be ok as Adam.
My real issue is I think he could have been *GREAT* as Marvel.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Well the point isn't necessarily that Black Adam is a complicated and deeply dramatic role, just that he does require a certain quality and range that not just any actor could bring. There are plenty of fantastic actors who have been miscast in roles that they just didn't have the right qualities for.
The Rock has shown himself to be very capable and charismatic in roles that exploit his talents...but he does have a limited range.

Still...I think he'll probably be ok in the part and I wouldn't be surprised if it was written/rewritten with him in mind just to make sure. I think he'll be ok as Adam.
My real issue is I think he could have been *GREAT* as Marvel.
For the origin story, BA is not going to have any other strong emotions besides anger and arrogance.

This isn't going to jump to DC's WWIII arc, or deal with his rule over Khandaq in current times, or the Black Marvel Family.

That said, he's matured enough as an actor to be able to handle a DC movie role.

They haven't had any characters that I would call "demanding" or "complex" outside of the Joker in the Batman Trilogy.

Everyone has been pretty simple.

In all honesty, for the origin story of Shazam and his first run in with Black Adam, he's going to be as dramatic as Zod, at most, which isn't very demanding.

For the origin story, BA is not going to have any other strong emotions besides anger and arrogance.

This isn't going to jump to DC's WWIII arc, or deal with his rule over Khandaq in current times, or the Black Marvel Family.

That said, he's matured enough as an actor to be able to handle a DC movie role.

They haven't had any characters that I would call "demanding" or "complex" outside of the Joker in the Batman Trilogy.

Everyone has been pretty simple.

In all honesty, for the origin story of Shazam and his first run in with Black Adam, he's going to be as dramatic as Zod, at most, which isn't very demanding.
Sure....and I still stand by my opinion that the Rock does better in roles that exploit his boyish charm and sense of comedic timing.