What's new

Gamescom 2014 Interview with Ed Boon from IGN

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeah for the guest characters on each console do a non console exclusive character... one that doesn't belong to Sony or MS so that we can all play them. Then I have no problem with them.

cyke_out

Noob
I hate console exclusives for the same game. If a console has a game I want then I will get that console and double my potential game library. But if a game is multi platform I'll just get it on one console.

But with console exclusives on the same game do they expect me to but two separate copies just to get the full experience?

I'm fine with guest characters, they sale games but I doubt console exclusive do anything other than drive a wedge in the player base. And no one is going to buy a console just for the chance to play an extra character.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Agreed. NRS cannot be only thinking about the tournament scene when it comes to developing and releasing the game. They still have to sell the game to the general public, too.

And this practice has been something done in other fighters for almost the past decade now.
Actually they can

a casual fan will NOT know the difference, nor will they care. They just want an MK game.

I'm surprised more places don't develop FOR the tournament scene....... as that is where the true longevity and passion lies. They're going to sell the game on name and "fun factor" alone. Why not develop the game geared towards the people who are going to break it down the most?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
They're going to sell the game on name and "fun factor" alone. Why not develop the game geared towards the people who are going to break it down the most?
This is a good point. But what if NRS did that and the casual gamers picked it up, played it, and went: "wtf, this is too technical / hard!". They would feel less inclined to purchase a copy of the next game. In my opinion, anyway...

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Soul calibur 4 did it decently, they eventually released the two console specific characters on the other console after a few months since the game was released thus making those characters tournament legal.

However if the characters are dedicated console IP's like kratos on a sony and mastercheif on Microsoft then forget that idea of ever happening.

So my best hope is that Microsoft gets say reptile and sony gets smoke and then a few months later they are released as paid dlc. No wasted slots and everyone is happy eventually.
SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE. ............SMOKE

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Kotal Khan [...] was one of the rulers of Outworld during that 25 year period, and the story mode basically follows his rise and fall. D'vorrah works with him, but there's twists there.

Mileena has to do something with this or I'm going nuclear.

T33-Kahn

Waifu, Peacock, Cutie Patootie,...
Easy to access =/= easy to play. Just because casual players cry about inputs, or tactics, or characters,... doesn't mean developers should listen to them and make the easiest FG of all time.

cyke_out

Noob
I do see a trend here... aside from Cage and Sonya, the original seven characters are looking to be in. I just hope Kitana makes it!
If Johnny and Sonya are both full fledged characters and not just playable reskins of a singular Cassie variation in story mode, then I'm really interested in seeing how NRS make them unique and splitsup their variations to separate them from Cassie.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Actually they can

a casual fan will NOT know the difference, nor will they care. They just want an MK game.

I'm surprised more places don't develop FOR the tournament scene....... as that is where the true longevity and passion lies. They're going to sell the game on name and "fun factor" alone. Why not develop the game geared towards the people who are going to break it down the most?
Because sales would be shitty......... Those "Casuals" represent millions of customers. If NRS stopped giving a shit about them then you wouldn't have a MK game to play in the 1st place. The casual scene is much larger then the tournament one.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just to let people know, we're still the 1% when it comes to buying a fighting game and playing it competitive.

The casuals will outnumber us 2 to 1 if will keep this "fuck the casuals" mentality.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Because sales would be shitty......... Those "Casuals" represent millions of customers. If NRS stopped giving a shit about them then you wouldn't have a MK game to play in the 1st place. The casual scene is much larger then the tournament one.
BUT THEY DON"T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

that is why they're casuals. If you put mk9 1st patch and mk9 last patch in front of a casual.... they wouldn't know the real differences between the two games. So why develop for them? When developing for a tourney type game would give you the same results..... as well as please the people who will play/promote it in the long run.

There is ZERO risk if you develop the frame data and such for a competitive type standard. Casual players will still get to do their dial combo's and special moves and iconic stuff. The game will sell.

Then you get the added bonus of having the tournament players being satisfied and happier. They will promote it to other FG players...... scenes grow.

MK has already penetrated the market.... the brand is its own thing. In this respect, the "technical" part of MK is not felt by the casual player. So why even entertain the idea that you should develop toward THEM?

cyke_out

Noob
Yep just ask virtua fighter how that is going for them. VF is one of my favorite series but I'd rather play against people in a lesser game than play no one at all in a better game.

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N

that is why they're casuals. If you put mk9 1st patch and mk9 last patch in front of a casual.... they wouldn't know the real differences between the two games. So why develop for them? When developing for a tourney type game would give you the same results..... as well as please the people who will play/promote it in the long run.

There is ZERO risk if you develop the frame data and such for a competitive type standard. Casual players will still get to do their dial combo's and special moves and iconic stuff. The game will sell.

Then you get the added bonus of having the tournament players being satisfied and happier. They will promote it to other FG players...... scenes grow.

MK has already penetrated the market.... the brand is its own thing. In this respect, the "technical" part of MK is not felt by the casual player. So why even entertain the idea that you should develop toward THEM?
What? The fact that they even patch the game is for tournament players. Your making it seem like they don't listen to us at all, NRS supports the tournament scene as much as they can. TBH if we got it our way all the time and get patch after patch nerfing and buffing shit we would have a completely different game with every patch thats out. . They still have to throw in little things like Guest/Exclusive characters to keep the money flowing and keep those casuals/fans interested.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
What? The fact that they even patch the game is for tournament players. Your making it seem like they don't listen to us at all, NRS supports the tournament scene as much as they can. TBH if we got it our way all the time and get patch after patch nerfing and buffing shit we would have a completely different game with ever patch thats out. . They still have to throw in little things like Guest/Exclusive characters to keep the money flowing and keep those casuals/fans interested.
You aren't even talking about the same thing that I am.

trufenix

bye felicia

What are you even talking about? What does "developing for casuals" and "developing for the tourney scene" mean that MK isn't already doing?

For it to be console exclusive, I am thinking that it is a possibility to have a crossover from KI. That to me would be a real reason to have exclusivity to each console