What's new

Fundamental Help

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Hey guys, as you may have gathered from the title, I need fundamental help! I was hoping you guys could somehow help me "improve" in these areas. If not, then it's all good. I'd say i'm alright at this game, not uber good, not really bad. But these are the things that probably cause my downfall.

Footsies:
From what I've gathered this is "pokes" such as d1, d3, and d4. I think it all comes down to frame data, but again, i'm not too sure.

Spacing:
This is something I've struggled with since the beginning of the game. I used to mindlessly just do what came to mind, without thinking why I'm doing it.

This is all I can really think of at the moment.

Also, it'd be much appreciated if you guys can help me with any fundamentals I missed. Fundamentals are usually the first thing I try to learn when trying something new.

LEGEND

YES!
footsies is spacing mindgames in action

say i back-dash to space myself for a Lui Kang B3 then my opponent dashes away. he is trying to space himself to a favorable position, thats footsies.

Character's tool determine what types of actions they take in the footsy game

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
footsies is spacing mindgames in action

say i back-dash to space myself for a Lui Kang B3 then my opponent dashes away. he is trying to space himself to a favorable position, thats footsies.

Character's tool determine what types of actions they take in the footsy game
So it's character dependent? In which case it'd come down to MUs and Frame Data? I was actually asking for assistance in improving on those.
I'll be sure to edit it.

It doesn't have a whole lot to do with frame data. It's more about trying to bait something punishable from an opponent at a basic level, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I can give you an example for Smoke vs. rushdown characters

Let's say I have a liu kang trying to rush me down. I am going to simply be walking backwards, with random dashes forward or just simply walking forward and back, "shuffling" around. If I'm trying to put pressure on you, I'll fish for a d4 which will give me advantage on hit. If I'm playing straight defense, I'll stay at a range where I can easily evade/react to your moves, and then punish you for them. I have one of the best footsie tools in the game with b23, which has extremely far reach and is a combo starter.

helpful? hopefully thats an ok example

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
It doesn't have a whole lot to do with frame data. It's more about trying to bait something punishable from an opponent at a basic level, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I can give you an example for Smoke vs. rushdown characters

Let's say I have a liu kang trying to rush me down. I am going to simply be walking backwards, with random dashes forward or just simply walking forward and back, "shuffling" around. If I'm trying to put pressure on you, I'll fish for a d4 which will give me advantage on hit. If I'm playing straight defense, I'll stay at a range where I can easily evade/react to your moves, and then punish you for them. I have one of the best footsie tools in the game with b23, which has extremely far reach and is a combo starter.

helpful? hopefully thats an ok example
Ok. I think i'm starting to understand, and i've seen loads of it in tournament play. Let's check it out

Situation:
Liu vs. Mileena
I know that Mileena has range on her d4, so I'd try and get Liu to come to me (by shuffling around) to d4 (which provides advantage on hit I presume) to go into pressure/a potential combo?

That's what my understanding of it is so far.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Ok. I think i'm starting to understand, and i've seen loads of it in tournament play. Let's check it out

Situation:
Liu vs. Mileena
I know that Mileena has range on her d4, so I'd try and get Liu to come to me (by shuffling around) to d4 (which provides advantage on hit I presume) to go into pressure/a potential combo?

That's what my understanding of it is so far.
Basically yeah, footsies is all about getting frames so you can start offense against your opponent.

Say you hit someone with SZ's d4, you will be at +12 which will allow you to dash in and apply pressure. However most pokes besides d4 are - frames on block, so your opponent will get the advantage if they block a d1 or d3.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
With characters that have good walking/dashing speed. Just randomly go left and right either walking or dashing.This will let you read what your opponent will do.Then you'll be able to react to it. And safe pokes/strings/special will let you do chip damage while taking no risks then when the opportunity comes, go for big damage.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Basically yeah, footsies is all about getting frames so you can start offense against your opponent.

Say you hit someone with SZ's d4, you will be at +12 which will allow you to dash in and apply pressure. However most pokes besides d4 are - frames on block, so your opponent will get the advantage if they block a d1 or d3.
Alright. I think I finally get it. I thought footsies was SO much more complex. Like some sort've advanced knowledge, which I guess it can be considered as such.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
With characters that have good walking/dashing speed. Just randomly go left and right either walking or dashing.This will let you read what your opponent will do.Then you'll be able to react to it. And safe pokes/strings/special will let you do chip damage while taking no risks then when the opportunity comes, go for big damage.
Whoa, I knew there was different dash speeds (Reptile, Sektor), but walking speeds? Well I guess I only really knew about Reptile.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Alright. I think I finally get it. I thought footsies was SO much more complex. Like some sort've advanced knowledge, which I guess it can be considered as such.
It's seems simple on paper, but it's not. Say out do a b312 and you're 0 on block, there are so many thing the opponent and you can do. You/him could poke to get frame advantage, start another blockstring, jump over, back up, do an Armored special.

There are tons of options.

Garasky

Noob
Understanding frame data lets you properly punish your opponent when the opportunity arises or lets you get out of sticky situations. It's much easier to play the footies game if you can read what you are seeing. Something I really need to work on but I don't have a sparring partner and training don't let you record. Reading text of + - confuses me as I need visual. I realized relying solely on reaction just don't work against people with more knowledge.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
It's seems simple on paper, but it's not. Say out do a b312 and you're 0 on block, there are so many thing the opponent and you can do. You/him could poke to get frame advantage, start another blockstring, jump over, back up, do an Armored special.

There are tons of options.
So all-in-all, a guessing game initiates?

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Understanding frame data lets you properly punish your opponent when the opportunity arises or lets you get out of sticky situations. It's much easier to play the footies game if you can read what you are seeing. Something I really need to work on but I don't have a sparring partner and training don't let you record. Reading text of + - confuses me as I need visual. I realized relying solely on reaction just don't work against people with more knowledge.
Yea, I myself don't understand frame data fully, I don't have a sparring partner either :/. The people who have more knowledge are probably the people who blow me up online as well (the only place I can play competitive Kombat).

Garasky

Noob
Yea, I myself don't understand frame data fully, I don't have a sparring partner either :/. The people who have more knowledge are probably the people who blow me up online as well (the only place I can play competitive Kombat).
I am gonna take it 1 step at a time. Probably start out with frame data of Johnny Cage's jail string, since ppl are crazy about it atm. Even if you don't use Cage you bound to run into one online. Once he gets in on you and you don't know how to counter or escape, its gameover.

Before I really got into Mk9 or fighting games in general, I didn't know whats the big deal about not having a record option for practice mode. Now I know how its a pain in the AZZ : (