What's new

Full Sub-Zero Stream Break Down (all buttons and additional info)

Lokheit

Noob
I did some extra revisioning of the stream to check some stuff like button mappings and damage scaling on the freezes, between the stream and the trailer we now know every Sub-Zero button:

• D2 is faster than MKX version.
  • D3 has MKX D4 animation (DOPE!!).
  • D1 is MKX D1.

• J1 (seen during the fight) is his MKX J2 (I was hopping for his J1 but that would’ve been OP lol).
  • J2 spins with a sword (probably good for crossups because of the spinning sword hitbox).
  • His old F42Throw is back (as F22Throw). Good advancing Mid.
  • 111 from Cryos is back BUT THE THIRD HIT IS OH! (still cancelable after the last hit). This means you can mixup with the low finisher (I hope this time around it’s a safer option or else you just can use the slide to mix). We know from the trailer that the 112 and 114 finishers (push and low knock down) from MKX are back but we don’t know the exact buttons.
  • J3 is his MKX J3.
  • His Cryo F122 is back (as 223), first hit is still a Mid BUT the launcher is worse and you only get easy combos on the corner (they connected a slide midscreen, I wonder if F4 will connect, at least I hope it does or his meterless damage is going to be crap).
  • New 33 string: Mid Mid Kicks, seem to be fast and they mentioned it multiple times, but we need to look at the frame data. I think it will probably will be used in corner juggles.
  • F33 from MKX is back (as B233, worth noting that you can now stop the string at the second hit without canceling it), the first hit is High instead of Mid but slides forward before hitting so it got some range. The second hit is still a low (though both the High and Low are countered by pressing down).
  • F3 is his Cryo Hammer (and this time it actually hits opponents jumping at you).
  • B3 is MK9 B2.
  • B11 is the B33 low string from MKX.
  • His dashes from MKX are back.
  • Iceball (DF2) doesn’t freeze unless MB (but it deals decent damage, the same as damage as Slide in this build). MB freezes and eats projectiles (and still damages). The damage scaling is the same as regular IB in MKX (75%).
  • Slide (BF3) always switches sides and can be used to get opponents falling into the klone if it’s close enough. MB only adds extra damage and extra push back.
  • Burst (DB1) is back, can still shatter klones and MB now adds a charge that is plus on block (animation reminiscent of the 3D era cold shoulder).
  • Air Hammer (air DB2) is back, hits twice (OH, Mid) and can be meterburned for a push that makes it safe (the launching version from the trailer seems to be gear).

• Cryo’s Command grab is back (DBF1), they don't show if it's duckable but it probably is based on his MKX move and similar moves in this game like Poison Ivy's kiss. It now knocks down the opponent but can be MB for a freeze and the same damage (so no 2in1 but basically the same functionality than Cryo had with his 2in1 except the damage is much lower and it can’t be used multiple times as a combo extender). The damage scaling is crap though (66%) and it can still be used for a restand into 22 (old F12 from Cryo) for huge advantage (and this time it might be optimal to do as you’re not losing as much damage as in MKX for going for the restand as the scaling is really bad).

• Trait is klone, can be done in the air (same pose as in the ground) and MB for double klone. Every klone can be burst or thrown (low throw from late MKX is still there) and they eat a projectile. Using it depletes the meter but it comes back at a decent speed (much slower than MKX though). The “klone slide” and “klone divekick” from the trailer are gear moves (one replaces the slide, the other one probably replaces air hammer but I’m not sure).

The damage scaling is 75% (same as Iceball) and the meter doesn't start recovering until you finish a combo where the opponent was frozen by the klone (that's a pretty big deal, thanks @RagingRicans for catching that!).
  • Super hits low and has good reach.
  • Ground Freeze (DB2) is gear and takes 2 slots. It’s unblockable and the meterless version knocks down. MB traps the opponent for full combo but is a low instead.
  • Ice teleport behind and away (DF3 and DB3) gear move reminiscent from MKvsDC.
  • Klone charge gear move (hits Mid, MB is the low klone slide from the trailer) the meterless version doesn't reach full screen. Replaces Slide (BF3) and has nothing to do with the trait.
  • MB version of the klone dive kick will do something interesting.

• A gear set bonus makes his Klone look like the ice bear from his klassic animality (I have to say I love this kind of klassic references).

• Select screen hit animation is awesome.

Last edited:

exisTenz

Noob
Nice breakdown

I kinda have mixed feelings so far, really worried about his meterless damage, but it does look like he might have better neutral now

Need to see his frame data when he releases

Lokheit

Noob
Main mixups seems to be:

- 11 string into OH-> MB Iceball, or low finisher of the string (MKX 114).

- J2 (crossup) into Air Hammer (OH), B11 (low low starter), air klone or late command grab grab or throw.

If finishing a combo into command grab MB, 22 gives enough advantage for a free crossup J2 it would be totally worth spending the meter. At the very least it will jail into 11.

Btw, the best part about meterless IB not freezing is that now we can avoid the debate of B33IB connecting only against females in MKX :p

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Only thing I can give them credit for is not bringing b2 back. Otherwise, clone needs an actual cool down since it's obviously much better this time around.

Lokheit

Noob
Also worth noting that the trailer had 4 gear moes:

- Klone slide.

- Klone dive kick.

- Ground Freeze.

- Alternate Air Hammer MB that launches instead of pushing back.

Does any body know what his misc gear option is?
It's the whole sword, dagger and hammer set. If you go to customize character you can already preview him and he's showing all 3 weapons with the hammer in the ground which means they will all be customizable (like Adam showing his orbs). Also the hammer from the trailer and the one shown on that screen are different so yeah, it's customizable.

WATCHD0G

Noob
Nice breakdown

I kinda have mixed feelings so far, really worried about his meterless damage, but it does look like he might have better neutral now

Need to see his frame data when he releases
honestly not worried about him needing meter to do big damage. he seems like with his clone and zoning he could build meter fast

Lokheit

Noob
N-ice Breakdown! (Ice Pun Intended ⛄)

Looking forward to Tuesday to get in the lab to discover stuff, create stuff etc

Really hoping NRS allow gear moves in competitive mode. Shame the only way to use them is 'casually'.

How hard is it to keep the stats normal but keep the moves?

It could be like a personalized variation. Seriously what could be better than having high level players showcasing Gear Moves...seems like a missed opportunity...

Anyhoo, bring on Tuesday!
I'd be down with it if the team actually made balanced gear moves. They're not, some of them are pure crap and others are game breaking bringing characters up multiple tiers (for example Poison Ivy's slide compared to her crawling vines). At this point it seems like they're 100% intended for fun and that's it.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I really like the way Sub-Zero looks in this game. If that command throw is not duckable and he has a few good ticks, I think I'll main him.