What's new

[FROM EVO STAFF] EVO 2016 PLAYER SWAP LIST

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
For communities which want to correct any seeding or regional placement issues they see in the bracket, we use a “swap list”. Each community will get 32 “swaps” to switch any two players in the bracket. The whole community gets one list, so work with the community leaders to see which swaps they want. Here’s a message you can post to get them started:

The Evo 2016 brackets have been posted here. While all the seeding feedback provided earlier has been taken into account, there still may be some issues you see with the bracket regarding seeds we may have missed or regional issues. To remedy these, we’re allowing you to re-arrange the bracket using “swaps”. A swap switches two players position in the bracket. You can use these to improve the regional or power balance to ensure a more fair tournament: Here are the rules:

• You have 32 swaps. You don’t have to use all 32.
  • List the two players to swap with their first and last names exactly as it appears on the bracket. For example, "Justin Wong Daigo Umehara"
  • You MUST use this format or your swaps will be ignored.
  • Decide among yourselves which changes you'd like to make, elect a representative, and communicate them to me or PheNOM by Thursday, July 7th
Thanks! See you all at EVO.

When you have your swaps, email them to [email protected] ASAP.

Thanks

Here’s a sample swap list.

Justin Wong Daigo Umehara
Joey Cuellar David Cantrell
Barack Obama Donald Trump

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't think he meant for the swaps to be for the purpose of creating specific matches, more for making sure there's no regional issues like JTB and Ketchup being in the same pool or two YOMI being in the same pool like right now. However the problem is that since the organisers probably don't know the top players outside of seeds it makes it easier for the community to manipulate top players to play each other early.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I don't think he meant for the swaps to be for the purpose of creating specific matches, more for making sure there's no regional issues like JTB and Ketchup being in the same pool or two YOMI being in the same pool like right now. However the problem is that since the organisers probably don't know the top players outside of seeds it makes it easier for the community to manipulate top players to play each other early.
TBF King Jr and MIT don't live in atlanta anymore

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
King Jr. and MIT don't live in atlanta

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Honestly the brackets are drawn at random.

People should play whoever the fuck they play, no swaps. If YOMI guy A and YOMI guy B get paired up for round 1, tough titties for them, hope they got that MU experience on lock.
Frankly, and honestly, I don't give a damn if top players don't wanna fight their buddies early on. If you signed up for the tourney, you signed up knowing it might happen.

I'm all for making hype finales, but seriously this pampering needs to get cut. This is evo, not elementary school. You aren't always gonna get to pick your group.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14

People should play whoever the fuck they play, no swaps. If YOMI guy A and YOMI guy B get paired up for round 1, tough titties for them, hope they got that MU experience on lock.
Frankly, and honestly, I don't give a damn if top players don't wanna fight their buddies early on. If you signed up for the tourney, you signed up knowing it might happen.

I'm all for making hype finales, but seriously this pampering needs to get cut. This is evo, not elementary school. You aren't always gonna get to pick your group.
Also scrubs getting beat up in top 8's is fun.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster

Except this is standard across most sports around the world.

Seeding exists for a reason, its to make progression through the tournaments harder as it goes on. If you want e-sports to be successful then it has to be catered to the audience because its the sponsors that pays the bills.

Except this is standard across most sports around the world.

Seeding exists for a reason, its to make progression through the tournaments harder as it goes on. If you want e-sports to be successful then it has to be catered to the audience because its the sponsors that pays the bills.
Sure, but then seed more than 32 people rather than have this "swapping" that can be taken advantage of.

Edit: I frased that quite crude, but you get the gist of it.

kantboy-2

Ripper
The NCAA seeding system is a rigged bracket BECAUSE of sponsors/money. This is not like other sports; there is no official point system for fighting games in general (like all the games under the same point system) There is no official # of tournaments or games you have to play to join. As long as you pay for the entry, you can join; same with the 'pro' players.

So, again, this is not standard sports. This is e-sports. Fighting games, to be precise. So it's a one on one all the time.

Random placing, random opponents. If you're good on a loaded group, you'll have hard matches, but you'll make it out of pools. If you got lucky in your pool, you got lucky and move on. RANDOM. This actually creates more hype and 'new players to watch'.

I'd rather have Dragon and Sonicfox randomly face each other with that Alien orgy in pools, than see that shit in the top 8 through grand finals because of a bracket selected by the players, for the players.

Random all the way.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Fuck the viewers for the most part, nobody wants to fly across the world to face their team mates in pools, pretty sure nobody is going to rig the brackets by just swapping a few players around to avoid going to evo and getting put out by your training buddy.

Proper seeding should bring the viewers a good show anyway, nobody wants to watch the killers playing on a table in the corner on a mobile recording, seeding lets that shit happen on stage!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Not counting regional problems I'm unaware of the only pools that are a problem IMO are J304 with MIT/Dragon and L308 with Scar/Big D.

We don't need dudes who placed top 32 a couple times or top 8 once a million years ago seeded.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Fuck the viewers for the most part, nobody wants to fly across the world to face their team mates in pools, pretty sure nobody is going to rig the brackets by just swapping a few players around to avoid going to evo and getting put out by your training buddy.
Why should teammates and practice partners be catered to? They get the benefits of having a dedicated practice partner(s) and/or a sponsorship so if they screwed by RNG then so be it. People get screwed by brackets all the time. Teams don't get a free pass because it leads to feel bads for the personalities of the FGC. You think any of the no names in Sonic's pool or Foxy Grampa's pool are getting screwed any less? Cry more.

Only pool I've seen as a "problem" is MIT's pool but that's the luck of RNG. Having some big names knock each other out early on helps to fight stagnation with same names and same matchups. This mindset is no better than those big name smash players asking to be able to bypass pools.

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Not counting regional problems I'm unaware of the only pools that are a problem IMO are J304 with MIT/Dragon and L308 with Scar/Big D.

We don't need dudes who placed top 32 a couple times or top 8 once a million years ago seeded.
I kinda agree with you, Scar and Big D shouldn't be in the same pool. But MIT and Dragon is fine for me. Simply because MIT hasn't really traveled anywhere for MKX this tournament season. If this was last year EVO then yes, a must split.

MIT - Great player, just imo hasn't earned the right to be "swapped" due to no traveling.

nothingxs

EVO 2016 Head TO
Listen:

If there's some really egregious problems with poor regional seeding, please immediately use the Send Feedback button at the bottom of the bracket. You may need to turn off Adblock for the EVO website to do that.

If you, as a community, think a couple of swaps would make for more interesting brackets or you want to separate something like two players you consider strong away from each other, then swap that player away.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Listen:

If there's some really egregious problems with poor regional seeding, please immediately use the Send Feedback button at the bottom of the bracket. You may need to turn off Adblock for the EVO website to do that.

If you, as a community, think a couple of swaps would make for more interesting brackets or you want to separate something like two players you consider strong away from each other, then swap that player away.
Did that yesterday, but just putting it here too, my first round opponent is Hunter_Airvidal who is a SoCal player that I play with very often at locals.

http://evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/mk10_j307.html

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also scrubs getting beat up in top 8's is fun.
If a "scrub" makes it to top 8, they deserve to be there because at some point they would've had to beat about 3 or 4 top players and top 8 contenders to get there. So no, your logic is faulty on this one.

Plus I'd rather have a scrub in top 8 than the same line-up of 4 mileenas, 3 aliens, and one odd-ball character.

If a "scrub" makes it to top 8, they deserve to be there because at some point they would've had to beat about 3 or 4 top players and top 8 contenders to get there. So no, your logic is faulty on this one.

Plus I'd rather have a scrub in top 8 than the same line-up of 4 mileenas, 3 aliens, and one odd-ball character.
I'm fairly sure he made a joke tbh..

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

Proper seeding should bring the viewers a good show anyway, nobody wants to watch the killers playing on a table in the corner on a mobile recording, seeding lets that shit happen on stage!
Nobody wants to fly across the world (without sponsorship) to be placed up against someone who should never have been seeded in their spot to begin with, because he doesn't want to face his team mates in pools.

If I'm dropping 3-5k on a trip to Vegas, I shouldn't be forced to have my spot stolen in my pool or have my match set against Sonicfox because "I'm not a top player and he is, and he decided not to fight his friend so here's the shaft. Thanks for paying, thanks for playing.". If the killers are going to make it to top 8, then they can grind through whatever match-up they have to grind through to get there. If them having to fight a certain individual means they aren't going to make it, then good. They didn't deserve that spot because they clearly weren't in the top 8 of players attending. If YOMI | A and YOMI | B can't make top 8 because they have to fight eachother, then they don't belong in top 8. Plain and simple.

You want to give the viewers a good show? Give them players who have earned their spot, not players who have chosen them. This is EVO dammit, the biggest tournament of the world. Everyone comes here to win. If they aren't prepared to fight to the last pixel and speck of meter, then they won't progress. The same goes for every single individual. Seeding is fine, it's taken care of, but that's as far as it should go imo. A good player doesn't need to swap, he will cut down everyone, and I do mean everyone, if he wants that money. If his friend doesn't make it, then that's a crying shame, but if YOMI | A isn't willing to cut down YOMI | B, or feels that because they play a lot at locals they shouldn't fight, then Yomi | A isn't concerned with winning, he is simply concerned with not losing.

When you have a top 16 or top 32 full of people who are simply concerned with not losing, then the matches become stale. Have we really become so tame, so sated, that we no longer hunger for victory? Do we no longer feel like it's worth it to fight someone strong? I remember at one point, Atlanta was the hungriest place. They came into the tournament grizzled and starving for placement, and it showed in their matches. That tournament was the most hype one to watch when Atlanta was on stage or on stream because they played like people who actually came there to do more than just exist in bracket spots until they moved up. Every single player played like they deserved to be there, every single one played like the top 8 was a prey to hunt. Even the worst of them, even the best of them, they all fought with that same fire. They all fought to win, and solely to win, and I don't doubt if another ATL player got in their way they would go for the throats to get through.

Atlanta was the best in that tournament because they were more concerned with earning top 8 than they were swapping to have an easy time in pools. Now THAT was a tournament worth watching. No one knew who top 8 would be, the pools were full of upsets and hype, it was just the pinnacle of potential for the community in terms of providing an experience for both viewers and players.

Now look at us. Crawling over others just to get to the shallow ends of the pool. For having the most brutal and bloody game, we sure don't have the community to match :/ Or at least, not anymore.

I'm fairly sure he made a joke tbh..
My point still stands.

Anyways, my rant is over. Just don't ship me into an earlier bracket and get me DQ'd and I could care less.