What's new

Tech - Kotal Kahn Free air takedown after 114 blockstring

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Sorry if this is known already, but Kotal gets a guaranteed safe air takedown whiff after a blocked 114. It almost seems like he's +1, 0 at the least.
For those wondering, not even Tempest Lao can punish this.

Nothing game changing, but it's a bit of extra meter. It's also neat because if the opponent gets hit by the 4, the air takedown will connect.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
This has a butt-ton of block stun! In Blood God you can get a free totem, and in Sun God a free meter gain/heal.

In War God I was just doing safe blade swing for the chip and meter gain. I'm going to experiment with this though and see how well it works.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Sorry if this is known already, but Kotal gets a guaranteed safe air takedown whiff after a blocked 114. It almost seems like he's +1, 0 at the least.
For those wondering, not even Tempest Lao can punish this.

Nothing game changing, but it's a bit of extra meter. It's also neat because if the opponent gets hit by the 4, the air takedown will connect.
We've actually known about this for awhile, testing has it coming out to +4 or so.

Mr. Aquaman just yesterday revealed some tech that we were stumbling onto using this. You can basically trade off Kotal Kahns frame traps into some very strong block string pressure.

Basically b122~ EX df3 run canceled into 114~df1, rinse and repeat with any mixups you feel like throwing in there. They have to armor out, though I think they can back dash midscreen, but if you read the back dash you can punish hard.

This gains back nearly 70% of the meter it uses and deals a ton of chip damage if they just block it all. Starting with 3 bars, it will deal somewhere between 33-45% chip damage depending on variation and character you're doing it to in War god (sometimes the blade doesn't hit twice).

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Basically b122~ EX df3 run canceled into 114~df1, rinse and repeat with any mixups you feel like throwing in there. They have to armor out, though I think they can back dash midscreen, but if you read the back dash you can punish hard.
From what I've been experimenting with, 114~ex sword throw~run cancel~b1 is the only true frame trap Kotal has that is guaranteed against the entire cast. It appears that any other normal/string follow up after the run cancel can be armored out.

The only issue with this set-up is that Kotal doesn't get his sword regenerated in time to continue pressure.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
From what I've been experimenting with, 114~ex sword throw~run cancel~b1 is the only true frame trap Kotal has that is guaranteed against the entire cast. It appears that any other normal/string follow up after the run cancel can be armored out.
standing 1 will hit, you have to time it right but it's guaranteed iirc

D. R.

Noob
We've actually known about this for awhile, testing has it coming out to +4 or so.
What did you test against to get that 114 xx df1 is +4? I've always believed it to be +1 since d1 immediately after beats Kung Lao's 7 frame spin yet trades always with Reptile's 6 frame EN slide on start up. If it is in fact +4 that's awesome but I want to verify for myself.

standing 1 will hit, you have to time it right but it's guaranteed iirc
What character(s) did you test this against because I've yet to get string xx EN df3, run cancel 114 to true block string against KL or Reptile midscreen, my common training dummies. In the corner sure (great for Blood God), but definitely not midscreen.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
What did you test against to get that 114 xx df1 is +4? I've always believed it to be +1 since d1 immediately after beats Kung Lao's 7 frame spin yet trades always with Reptile's 6 frame EN slide on start up. If it is in fact +4 that's awesome but I want to verify for myself.

What character(s) did you test this against because I've yet to get string xx EN df3, run cancel 114 to true block string against KL or Reptile midscreen, my common training dummies. In the corner sure (great for Blood God), but definitely not midscreen.
I did it against Kotal and it might just be because he's so obnoxiously tall but there's a little sweet-spot where I could get the standing 1 to jail

I'm pretty sure different characters get pushed back differently too. I have no clue at all what NRS was doing when they made this game's hitboxes but I swear they've gotten worse with every game

Didn't know this one but I sometimes do air grab after a landed b14 and then down one! If they're pushing buttons the d1 will get you more pressure. On a fwd3 air grab on hit you can then f1b2. If they're not blocking or pushing buttons they'll get launched!

Second Saint

I was mostly just taking Mr. Aquaman at his word, but I also remember +4 being in the conversation when it first started in General Discussion. Didn't test this one personally. Maybe it's not +4.

After giving it a try just now, I was able to beat Kung Lao's spin (which in game frame data says is 6 not 7) with Kotal's 1. So either it's faster than it says or it's at least +2 according to you and +3 according to in game.

D. R.

Noob
I was mostly just taking Mr. Aquaman at his word, but I also remember +4 being in the conversation when it first started in General Discussion. Didn't test this one personally. Maybe it's not +4.

After giving it a try just now, I was able to beat Kung Lao's spin (which in game frame data says is 6 not 7) with Kotal's 1. So either it's faster than it says or it's at least +2 according to you and +3 according to in game.
You must be on PC. PS4 with the game fully updated has KL's Spin and Vortex at 7 frames start up, IN GAME. Please don't take me for a casual.

Second Saint

You must be on PC. PS4 with the game fully updated has KL's Spin and Vortex at 7 frames start up, IN GAME. Please don't take me for a casual.
I am on PC, and I'm not taking you for a casual so much as lamenting the unreliability of NRS in game frame data. I literally have NO idea what way is up when it comes to this stuff. If it came off as condescending or sarcastic, that wasn't the intent. Poe's law and all that.