What's new

For those who can only play online, I have a question for you.

E

Eldriken

If you had an offline scene, do you think it would make you a better player?

I personally feel it would make me a better player if the offline scene here wasn't a few hours away.

I sometimes wonder if I have hit a plateau due to only being able to play online.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I know for a fact if I went to GGA regulary, I would be much better than I am now. Its just getting there that is the problem, actually its getting home lol. I got a job to go every Thursday, but I have to work on Thursdays. The cruel irony

Decay

King of the Bill
Offline competition makes you better, only if your competition is better than you and can also give you insight on how to evolve. You can learn a lot online but lag makes the frame data pointless, and it's not the same practicing with someone online when it's harder to communicate over a headset instead of in person.

I personally know that practicing with @DarthArma and @KDZ as well as others at the break every week increased my skill, since Dartharma and kdz are great teachers. Dartharma will ask me what matchup I have trouble with and then pick that character and try to train me how to punish certain things, I owe him a lot of credit!
My first offline event ever I got bodied my fist round by zyphox 3-1 and he said "If you start coming to the beak, you're gonna level up real quick" and I took his advice and the next time we had played in tournaments months later, I ended up winning the set. That's proof enough for me dude.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Yes. I personally hate getting away with online bs. It makes me feel like a scrub. My poorly time background bounce/corner unblockables with joker and F3 spam with green lantern are examples of this.

There's basically no offline scene here in Australia. I mean, there was just a major or something here, but that was the first I'd heard of it and it was a state away from me. In all fairness, though, I don't play anymore, so I'm pretty out of the loop with it all.

Back to the point. If I had a scene that was local to me, I'd spend every free minute I had playing with people. It would definitely make me a better player and (I think) would take away the pressure and frustration that online play gave me.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
If you had an offline scene, do you think it would make you a better player?

I personally feel it would make me a better player if the offline scene here wasn't a few hours away.

I sometimes wonder if I have hit a plateau due to only being able to play online.
My answer, yes. A thousand times yes. I have about 2 friends who play the game casually and they never adapt so online really is my only source of learning and competition. The town I live in, Cave junction, is a small population and the closest "civilization" is a 2 hour drive in Grant's Pass. If I could have a scene, I have no idea what I'd call it though. :p

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
It definitely helps to have an Offline scene. I play with my buddy who's just as good as me and we play everyday. The problem with that is lack of matchups due to me only playing like 3 characters to his 3 characters.

That's where online comes in play with learning MUs.
There's ups and downs to both. I personally think a good balance of both is the best way to go.

TKB

Noob
I definitely think having an offline scene allows you to grow as a player much more than online can.

Online is still a great tool, there are several players that were "online warriors" and have done extremely well in tournament. But having that offline experience helps prepare you SO much more for what's to come when you go to compete.

I've been thinking about trying to start a local here in Albuquerque but there just aren't many NRS players here :( infact there's only 1 other guy I know of on this site that lives here and I keep bugging him for casuals but so far it hasn't happened...

*cough* @iFotus *cough*

Yes it would definitely help increase the skills of player. If I ever decide to make my move to ATL next year, those guys are in for a rude awakening hehehehehehe

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Don't let people sway you into believing offline will make you better. It's worse.

To convert online wins into offline, you'd have to adopt a whole new appropriate style of play and meta, and ain't nobody got time for that.
Also, everyone plays Aquaman. Stick to online, friends.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
If I wasn't that far away from Cleveland Ohio or Sharon, PA then hell yes it's worth going offline. Then I would not have any reason to go back to that online bill of goods netcode.

iFotus

Suicide Scorpion
I definitely think having an offline scene allows you to grow as a player much more than online can.

Online is still a great tool, there are several players that were "online warriors" and have done extremely well in tournament. But having that offline experience helps prepare you SO much more for what's to come when you go to compete.

I've been thinking about trying to start a local here in Albuquerque but there just aren't many NRS players here :( infact there's only 1 other guy I know of on this site that lives here and I keep bugging him for casuals but so far it hasn't happened...

*cough* @iFotus *cough*
Haha forever ducking you. No im kidding. Life just gets in the way man of my gaming time especially with college and a girlfriend. ;):( But this week i should be free if you're up for it. :D

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I live in Oregon so i mainly play online. When i am able to get away from work and the kids to enter a tournament, I level up bigtime from playing casuals with other competitve players. As far as a local scene goes, i think that is dependant upon the strength and size of your scene. Entering bigger tournaments and playing tons of casuals with cut-throat players is a guaranteed level up. Just one more reason why you online guys should get to a tournament and support the scene. If i can make one a year, anyone can.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Don't let people sway you into believing offline will make you better. It's worse.

To convert online wins into offline, you'd have to adopt a whole new appropriate style of play and meta, and ain't nobody got time for that.
Also, everyone plays Aquaman. Stick to online, friends.
You deserve to be taken off my xbl list for a comment as dumb as that.

I do have an offline scene. Less than an hour away.

I just...don't go.
People like you make me cry inside.