What's new

For those complaing about MKX.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
But was that the only mechanic they added? I think that's part of the reaction here, it seems like a lot of change at once instead of slower evolution over time. That's one thing I was hoping for on mk9, smaller additions to each game instead of each new one basically playing in a totally different way. it'd be nice not to have to start over every release of MK.
I understand it's easier for players if they took baby steps, but it's Mortal Kombat. It's had interactables and such in the past. The one thing I was concerned about was walk speed and such and it looks similar to MK9 which I am really happy about. Interactables can be blocked, there is a block button, the movement is MK9-ish. I actually don't think it's dramatically different except for the whole "3 styles of play" per character deal.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I understand it's easier for players if they took baby steps, but it's Mortal Kombat. It's had interactables and such in the past. The one thing I was concerned about was walk speed and such and it looks similar to MK9 which I am really happy about. Interactables can be blocked, there is a block button, the movement is MK9-ish. I actually don't think it's dramatically different except for the whole "3 styles of play" per character deal.
That's pretty much the biggest difference I saw from the gameplay that ahs been shown. I like the variation idea though, it will help with not letting the game get boring too quick. That is the problem I run into in FGs. I always get bored with my main and wind up picking another main like every other week, at least hey I got 3 styles to learn and understand and maybe I'll spend 3 weeks on my main before I go all ADD and shit!

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
That's pretty much the biggest difference I saw from the gameplay that ahs been shown. I like the variation idea though, it will help with not letting the game get boring too quick. That is the problem I run into in FGs. I always get bored with my main and wind up picking another main like every other week, at least hey I got 3 styles to learn and understand and maybe I'll spend 3 weeks on my main before I go all ADD and shit!
lol. Trust me, I 100% understand. I've been playing Blanka since SFIITHDR, and I kept dropping the game from being bored. I've recently picked up another character and have been putting in some hours and the game is actually fun again. The same goes with MK. Been using Baraka since MKII...picked up Raiden, fell in love again. Adding the variations will 100% keep it fresh and will mix up some match ups.

I just seen their may be a run button now...that I am kinda closed minded about lol.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
lol. Trust me, I 100% understand. I've been playing Blanka since SFIITHDR, and I kept dropping the game from being bored. I've recently picked up another character and have been putting in some hours and the game is actually fun again. The same goes with MK. Been using Baraka since MKII...picked up Raiden, fell in love again. Adding the variations will 100% keep it fresh and will mix up some match ups.

I just seen their may be a run button now...that I am kinda closed minded about lol.
Mileena is likely the only constant character I have mained in any FG series, not even IN SF was able to maintain my original main (Chun Li), outside that pretty much every FG somehow I wind maining a female lol.

ANyway I'm not to bothered by a run button return, I wasn't extremely fond of it back in the day, but given the advancements we have seen in NRS games it might actually add more to the game and allow for some interesting strategies.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Agreed, but there's that group of us that have been around since the arcade days that still played after UMK3, but didn't enjoy the game hardly at all until Midway sold off the rights to the series and MK9 was made. All the game were different, but more than half of them stunk on ice.
I like to think of mk fans like star wars fans. There are generations of them and the problem NRS has is that it tries to please everybody.

BRUTALITY

Banned
going by just the trailers and footage; it seems like injustice because of the large view and small characters and the interactables and movement are also similar. it feels more macroscopic and involved where mk9 was more of a microscopic game that allowed players to almost always be in footsies distance while focusing on the nuances of movement, poking, pressuring and punishing game that players loved. injustice has these things but implemented differently. MKX seems to have less fine motor control of mk9 and more binary control of igau. this is just how i feel.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
going by just the trailers and footage; it seems like injustice because of the large view and small characters
I'm totally not seeing these "small" characters, I think they are even larger than the MK9 chars, but by just a little bit.

aj1701

Noob
Right, that my point... the MKs with the intractable are the ones that sucked and I barely played or ever cared about.

That said, I've seen more complete matches during the Boon interview from yesterday and it looks pretty good.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
New characters kinda feel out of place. Especially Osiris Kotal Khan. But I think everything will be explained in storymode, so gl hf.

Esruck Cype

...or just call me E.C.
I hate the Sadira looking character because she looks like a KI copy/paste
Lol I completely overlooked this. When Sadira's trailer was first released way back when, damn-near everyone was calling her a MK Mileena-esque copypasta.

I'd say D'Vorah's design fits the MK universe pretty well. All KI chars are copypastas from something else anyway. That's, like, what KI does.

trufenix

bye felicia
What nobody wants is an MK game that sucks. The good news is, the MKs that everyone hates were all made back when NRS didn't care about them being competitive, balanced, or even complete. Unfortunately, the FGC at large just assumes any "change" to a successful game is going to make a game crappy and it snowballs nightmarishly quick thanks to the anonymity of comment sections and talkbacks. I shudder to think of the alarmist nonsense that would've drowned the web when games like Tekken 3, SF3, Garou and Marvel 2 had been announced.

After reading everyone's comments I must say that Ive seen good points from both sides. We shouldn't crucify people for not liking what they see so far. To be honest, I was expecting a MK 9.5 but that doesn't mean that I expected it to be like MK9. I have nothing against the fact that they've gone a new direction with it, it's just that the way they took it isn't to my liking. It's not even the character thing to me but more of just looking at the gameplay and seeing that injustice had more influence on it than MK9. If I loved/played injustice seriously, that would be a good thing but I don't. I think the game *LOOKS* awesome.No doubt about that. I like the x-rays and fatalities but they always look cool before the game comes and will get old pretty quick once we see them a million times. Im not going to say that this will be a bad game. Injustice wasn't a bad game. I've seen a few people say this in this thread and I will say it too. *AS OF NOW* this just don't look like a game that I would play competitively. I was concerned because I looked forward to the MK10 while being open to any change they would make. Injustice came out, I bought it, played it for a bit, tried to get into it, but just didn't love it. With MK10 resembling Injustice so far it looks like I'm gonna do the same thing with this game. That is what concerned me. Not the fact that they've done something new altogether and not that characters won't be returning from the previous one. It just reminds me too much of something I couldn't get into. Im only speaking for myself here. And I agree that change is definitely good but I'm not going to submit to if I feel that there are more things that I don't like about it. This is only how I feel about it now from what I've seen so far. I may feel completely different once I play it for a while and if I don't, it will just sit up on the shelf to collect dust until my friends come over.Just like injustice.