What's new

Fix a “bad” character with ONE change

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Everyone has opinions on who the “worst” character is. I’m curious what the kommunity’s solutions would be.

No cheating. Name a SINGLE change that could fix a character. In other words something altering only 1 move. This can include swapping 1 special into their tournament variation. This can also be changing the properties and/or frame data for an attack.

Wrath0594

I’ll start it off:

Johnny: his forceballs whiff small characters crouch blocking. Fix it and he has block pressure and chip on his strings consistently.

Jade: make her deadly butterfly safe on block. Now the problem of unsafe normals is alleviated, and she’s established as a rushdown character with strong corner pressure. That or make Razor rang 16 frame startup for similar benefit.

Wrath0594

I’ll do you one better. I’ll fix all the bad characters with 1 change: allow custom variations in competitive play!
I was NOT on board with this pre launch, because it’s hard to balance, but the variations are so poor I’d be for it now.

It’s such a strange step down from MkX. That game had more characters, 3 variations per, and the variations were much deeper as well as being better balanced. It’s unbelievale how hard they’ve dropped the ball this time through on that.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I was NOT on board with this pre launch, because it’s hard to balance, but the variations are so poor I’d be for it now.

It’s such a strange step down from MkX. That game had more characters, 3 variations per, and the variations were much deeper as well as being better balanced. It’s unbelievale how hard they’ve dropped the ball this time through on that.
I feel like they wanted custom the whole time, realised they couldn’t or ran out of time to implement it with balance, and just threw together some variations and thought ‘these will do’. Completely agree it feels like a step down. There are no fun variations to me like special forces Sonya, konjurer alien, dualist Liu, hat trick Lao etc. They all just play very similar, space the character out and whiff punish. Which may be a more high level play, but let’s face it more boring than MKX

colby4898

Next Gen Jacqui.
Hard to choose one... the dome only reduces damage of special attacks not normals... change that. And make specials act differently inside the dome.

Wrath0594

I feel like they wanted custom the whole time, realised they couldn’t or ran out of time to implement it with balance, and just threw together some variations and thought ‘these will do’. Completely agree it feels like a step down. There are no fun variations to me like special forces Sonya, konjurer alien, dualist Liu, hat trick Lao etc. They all just play very similar, space the character out and whiff punish. Which may be a more high level play, but let’s face it more boring than MKX
On principle, I like fixed variations more than customs. Customs sounds nice, but in the end, once we are optimized- custom means 1 variation per character. You either play the optimized character, or you’re an idiot who likes the “feel” of some other special more.

With a system like MkX, the constraints give you more options. If I want to play Ronin Takeda, I’m not an idiot who wasn’t smart enough to equip kunai specials. I prefer faster normals and frame traps and engaged in a trade off. Same argument for Sub Zero- clones vs command grab.

I’ve heard it argued that there’s one optimal variant per character in X, and that’s straight false. Like there are Stunt Double Johnny mains, and there are A lister mains, good variations were practically different characters.

Idk, I feel the customs actually give us less variety in the end, but I cannot deny what they gave us is STRAIGHT GARBAGE. A myriad of variations with WORTHLESS ABILITIES.

colby4898

On principle, I like fixed variations more than customs. Customs sounds nice, but in the end, once we are optimized- custom means 1 variation per character. You either play the optimized character, or you’re an idiot who likes the “feel” of some other special more.

With a system like MkX, the constraints give you more options. If I want to play Ronin Takeda, I’m not an idiot who wasn’t smart enough to equip kunai specials. I prefer faster normals and frame traps and engaged in a trade off. Same argument for Sub Zero- clones vs command grab.

I’ve heard it argued that there’s one optimal variant per character in X, and that’s straight false. Like there are Stunt Double Johnny mains, and there are A lister mains, good variations were practically different characters.

Idk, I feel the customs actually give us less variety in the end, but I cannot deny what they gave us is STRAIGHT GARBAGE. A myriad of variations with WORTHLESS ABILITIES.
I disagree that if you don’t play the optimal custom that’s found you’d be an idiot. There also may be a couple really good customs. But if that’s not as fun as the custom you like you’re just not gonna play it.

I played special forces Sonya over demolition because it was more fun even though it was worse. I konjurer alien cos it was more fun even though it was worse etc. Not everyone is competitive players, who are only going to play the best characters, but some are casuals who wants to play who they find fun, but in the competitive scene. Ie putting up with the ranked variations even though they’re boring.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Could be going too far.
XD
Nah it would make her able to take back her turn in her severely losing matchups like Scorpion, and spending a bar for 30% is what everyone does. The other option is making all her unsafe shit safe but the thread said change 1 thing.

Wrath0594

Nah it would make her able to take back her turn in her severely losing matchups like Scorpion, and spending a bar for 30% is what everyone does. The other option is making all her unsafe shit safe but the thread said change 1 thing.
I mean the + frames. But I guess +2, or +4 would be fine. It’s not like the + frames we have right now are abusable, if you look it Johnny or Skarlet’s restands.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I mean the + frames. But I guess +2, or +4 would be fine. It’s not like the + frames we have right now are abusable, if you look it Johnny or Skarlet’s restands.
Yes. She's not a rushdown character, she doesn't need to be + on block. She needs to be unpunishable or needs to deal competitive damage.

Wrath0594

I disagree that if you don’t play the optimal custom that’s found you’d be an idiot. There also may be a couple really good customs. But if that’s not as fun as the custom you like you’re just not gonna play it.

I played special forces Sonya over demolition because it was more fun even though it was worse. I konjurer alien cos it was more fun even though it was worse etc. Not everyone is competitive players, who are only going to play the best characters, but some are casuals who wants to play who they find fun, but in the competitive scene. Ie putting up with the ranked variations even though they’re boring.
I guess I’d disagree that they were boring in MkX would be my point. And the balance argument is important to consider. They could nerf or buff specific variants. Doing the same for combinations of abilities is harder.

Again, I’m now for customs, because we have the worst of all systems right now. Just saying that ideally, we’d have it similar to MkX.

colby4898

I guess I’d disagree that they were boring in MkX would be my point. And the balance argument is important to consider. They could nerf or buff specific variants. Doing the same for combinations of abilities is harder.

Again, I’m now for customs, because we have the worst of all systems right now. Just saying that ideally, we’d have it similar to MkX.
I don’t actually think that even the stronger competitive variations in MKX were boring either. Even they had more interesting styles. Like Crytalline, Gunslinger, Tempest, Demolition, Grandmaster etc. To me the only truly boring Variation was Smoke. In this game there seems to be so little uniqueness to each character. They all do pretty much the same thing, just have different animations. A bit disappointing

Wrath0594

The fact that there’s even people considering Cage or Jade as bad is alarming lol
Go to the "whose the worst character" thread. Look at page 1 GloRtor's comments. Look at mine on page 2. Literally 2 pages of facts. If you can dispute them, I'd love to hear it. Sharing opinions is one thing, comparing hard numbers and frame data with the rest of the cast to support them is another.