What's new

Fightstick users I need advice.

Spencer

Always Training
Guys, Someone please convince me to keep using a fight stick lol.

I been with one for about a month and it has been a really rough going from controller to Fightstick.

I was really good with pad I could land high executions combos and all .

I can land pretty much all my combos on stick except my run cancels combos and iafb combos. And it's really bothering me.

At first I couldn't even back dash and it that felt horrible. Took me 3 weeks to get them consistent.lol

Its the worst feeling ever losing online because of this.

Should I go back to controller are keep practicing with Fightstick ?

If anybody has success story's share them lol

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
well i would say that you just have to STICK with it! but seriously it takes time to learn a fight stick just keep with it and you will get used to it.

nwo

Noob
It will take you like 3-6 months to even get good with 1 or 2 characters again. Probably an entire year of commitment to be as good as you were on pad.

After 1 year you might actually be better than you were on pad, it depends how much you play. After that you pretty much can never go back (at least in my case in UMK3).

I'm a stick user myself. Have been for a really long time though, and could never grasp the controller concept with fighting games.

You may need to mod it, which is fairly cheap, so that it fits you better. Do you have a square gate or octagonal (most come stock with square), what brand are your buttons? Do your buttons feel stiff or too springy? Have you laid out your button config the way you want them (connecting the "button wires" to the specific place you want those buttons to be)?

If you want to think on it visit www.focusattack.com and check out their inventory. I love their site. Always buy my gear from them. They have everything and for really good prices.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I felt like this too but I've now hit a turning point after about 6 months, where my skill with the pad is the same, but my control with the stick is so much better that I could never look back

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Like everyone else is saying you just have to stay with it. It takes a while. I wasn't 100% comfortable until after months on months of playing SFIV every day. And yes, dashing was one of my biggest issues for quite a while. It will probably take at least 8 months for it to feel like second nature.

Also, it depends on what you're using. If you have Sanwa parts things will go much smoother. If I'm playing on a cheap stick with crappy parts, I find it legitimately muddies up my execution (which is why I put my Sanwa parts in my new PS4 Hori stick).

It's worth it to learn imo, I think sticks are better for fighting games and allow stricter control. NRS games work fine on pad but if you're gonna play SFV I cannot recommend working out the kinks enough.

Spencer

Always Training
Alright Thank guys, I feel like the stick will be more precise in the long run.

It's pretty comfortable too like I can play for hours and my hands don't hurt.

I just gotta go through the pain of the switch.

WARNING TO ALL PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT GOING FROM CONTROLLER TO STICK.

BE PREPARED TO RELEARN EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. You even have to learn how to dash and jump properly again.

spliti

Noob
Street Fighter I use stick and MKX/injustice I use pad. I can use stick for MKX/Inj also, but I feel like it's smoother with pad.

Spencer

Always Training
I felt like this too but I've now hit a turning point after about 6 months, where my skill with the pad is the same, but my control with the stick is so much better that I could never look back
Dude I Can't wait to reach that turning point

Okay I didn't read anyone's post beside the op so here I go lol: You don't need a stick for this game, also to get better on stick you just keep playing and don't give up. It does not take a damn year to switch to stick. If you actual practice like REALLY practice It'll take like 2 months max esp for this game .

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Dude I Can't wait to reach that turning point
Believe me you will. People said the same to me and i didnt believe it, and after the first month or two of using it I was feeling like "damn. i just wasted $200".

but now i couldnt look back. I can play my old pad characters just as well as ever on pad, but just using the device feels like such a wrestle - not because im out of touch, i still use it all the time for other games, but just because in comparison to comfortability with a stick it just aint the same.

thats my experience anyway

Derwood1979

Professional Procrastinator
Alright Thank guys, I feel like the stick will be more precise in the long run.

It's pretty comfortable too like I can play for hours and my hands don't hurt.

I just gotta go through the pain of the switch.

WARNING TO ALL PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT GOING FROM CONTROLLER TO STICK.

BE PREPARED TO RELEARN EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. You even have to learn how to dash and jump properly again.
Now switch again, to hitbox :-P