What's new

Question - Inferno Fighting against Inferno Scorpion

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Maybe you guys could give me some tips on what to do against Inferno Scorpion? I seem to have a really hard time with this MU. It's really frustrating to me. >_<

I use -

Possessed Kenshi
Kenjutsu Kenshi
Grandmaster Sub-Zero
Noxious Reptile
Dabbling in Quan Chi's variations
or any character/variation that you guys could recommend.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Everyone tries to fight inferno from fullscreen, don't do it unless your character has good space control options against both his minion and his teleports.

Grandmaster sub might be a bad idea, but lets hear what are your problems first.

Elitper

casual fighter
I play reptile, and what i do against scorpions in general, is to not let them have space or controll the flow of the match

Stay in his face as reptile and punish whifs and teleports with b.f.4 or b.f.2

You can ex b.f.2 for full combo punish

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Everyone tries to fight inferno from fullscreen, don't do it unless your character has good space control options against both his minion and his teleports.

Grandmaster sub might be a bad idea, but lets hear what are your problems first.
I'm probably playing at too far of a distance usually. but it can be hard to get it on him sometimes. I feel like I get locked down into a crouching block because of the threat of his low minion. I crouch block against him and if I see a high minion, I fuzzy guard it.

I play reptile, and what i do against scorpions in general, is to not let them have space or controll the flow of the match

Stay in his face as reptile and punish whifs and teleports with b.f.4 or b.f.2

You can ex b.f.2 for full combo punish
Yeah, I think Reptile would have the easiest time staying in close range compared to the other characters that I play as.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm probably playing at too far of a distance usually. but it can be hard to get it on him sometimes. I feel like I get locked down into a crouching block because of the threat of his low minion. I crouch block against him and if I see a high minion, I fuzzy guard it.

Yeah, I think Reptile would have the easiest time staying in close range compared to the other characters that I play as.
Minion is slow, unless he enhance it, you can pass running to him, also the recovery is really long, which gives you a room for a reversal special.

I haven't touched possessed Kenshi yet, but Kenjutsu's BF3 goes almost fullscreen, if you manage to be on that range all the time against scorpion you have 90% chances of blocking any minion, and reversal punish all of them except Minion charge (-4 on block) with BF3.

If your opponent is a smart one, and he realizes this, once you get on that range, he won't use minions anymore, which should give you a room to get in now.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Minion is slow, unless he enhance it, you can pass running to him, also the recovery is really long, which gives you a room for a reversal special.

I haven't touched possessed Kenshi yet, but Kenjutsu's BF3 goes almost fullscreen, if you manage to be on that range all the time against scorpion you have 90% chances of blocking any minion, and reversal punish all of them except Minion charge (-4 on block) with BF3.

If your opponent is a smart one, and he realizes this, once you get on that range, he won't use minions anymore, which should give you a room to get in now.
You sure that you can run past a minion? I was in practice and tried blocking an overhead minion and both minions would still connect while I'm running. I was trying to block, run up, and punish.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You sure that you can run past a minion? I was in practice and tried blocking an overhead minion and both minions would still connect while I'm running. I was trying to block, run up, and punish.
Minion grab can be run passed, minion drop needs to be blocked.

The point is, you need to block those to reversal punish, Kenjutsu's Kenshi BF3 has a lot of range if you input a reversal punish it will probably connect before Scorpion can block, so when you enter that range again he won't be able to use those anymore.

Hmmm...if you have a fast eye, you can watch his arm when summing demons

1) raising up? it's a low demon; block low. I believe REO's YT channel showed the difference between a regular low demon grab and an EN low demon grab; watch out!
2) from up to down? it's a high demon; it's an overhead.
3) as if pulling towards himself? you can block crouching/standing but recoveyr is at -6; you'll need a VERY fast move to counter him when blocked.

for 1 and 2, recovery is long enough for a marvel vs capcom sized combo if you're up close.

And also, the demons can take quite a while before they appear; if you hit him before they come out, they won't come out.

As an inferno scorpion user, I easily get frustrated when I can't zone so I end up rushing down. Of course, I could be just horrible at zoning; good Ermac players give me problems when I try to zone.

Hope this helps!

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Thanks for the replies. I don't really like playing as Ermac, but we'll see. I'm about to test out some Quan Chi and Takeda against Inferno Scorpion. I'll see how that goes.

I was blown up by an Inferno Scorpion tonight who, once he landed a hit.. went into full vortex mode.

Do any of you have tips against the vortex? Can the vortex startup be fuzzy blocked?

For the record I ended up at 8-13 and lost but only because I managed to guess the low minions and put him in the corner - then got lucky; he wasnt terribly good at getting out of the corner. If I couldnt do that though he would land at least one hit and transition to the vortex.

Any tips would be great :)

I use scorpion fire and inferno a lot (been maining him since mk1) and he is amazing in this game. I'm not great with him or anything, but I can hold my own against some really good players. I almost feel cheap sometimes, but once someone figures out what I'm doing they give me a huge run for my money. What normally stops me from controlling the match is a good rush down. I have had a hell of a time against milena because she is relentless. Cassie too. If I can't get away from you, I have a tough time setting up combos and I start desperately trying to get away with a teleport (which is very punishable). Like others have said, ermac is a huge headache because it seems like he is awesome at punishing any mistake I make. I have had problems with quan chi also but haven't faced him too many times, so you might be on to something there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure his minion grab gets blown up by run.

Of course, you don't want to do this all the time. He still has a kuni and you''ll run right into it if you try this too much.

On the same side, if you condition him to expect a run, he'll throw out a kuni for you to block which is very negative and gives you a good chance to dash in to gain distance.

TwistedGamesMK

PSN: twistedgaming99
If you're quick enough with Shinnok, you could pull a good one. once (in necromancer) you get a rising hand on him, you can pull a good combo on him and then repeat with rising hands

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure his minion grab gets blown up by run.

Of course, you don't want to do this all the time. He still has a kuni and you''ll run right into it if you try this too much.

On the same side, if you condition him to expect a run, he'll throw out a kuni for you to block which is very negative and gives you a good chance to dash in to gain distance.
Yep. People have blown me up by running past minion grab if they're close enough. If you take away minion grab and spear, it makes it extremely tough (for me at least) to get in combos. I'm working on getting in close enough to start them without stunning first, but typically I like to keep my distance.