What's new

few things?

one question i have problems with...i played tournament and my biggest problem is jip and crossovers(played against smoke) ,i know i can punish smoke jip by s1 and then full combo...but have problem when i blocked his string and he just jump over and jip and immideatly jump over again and do jip or jip + 3d21 how to defense against those crossovers ?

coolwhip

Noob
one question i have problems with...i played tournament and my biggest problem is jip and crossovers(played against smoke) ,i know i can punish smoke jip by s1 and then full combo...but have problem when i blocked his string and he just jump over and jip and immideatly jump over again and do jip or jip + 3d21 how to defense against those crossovers ?
Neutral jump on a read (shouldn't be hard since according to your description, the player you're up against plays in a predictable pattern). Uppercut works too. D1 anti cross-up. Air gotcha grab (I think it works). Not sure if Jax's D4 lowers his hitbox enough to avoid cross over punches.

uppercut immideatly after he is going to jump ? but sometimes he just do d1 smoke after he finish the string not jump over

coolwhip

Noob
with d1 or d3?
Generally, it depends. But, based on the situation you described, I'd go with D1 since it's faster (6 frames. D3 is 7 frames), and you said your friend often goes for D1 after a string. Smoke's D1 is 6 frames too, so it would beat your D3 (since Smoke's 3D12 is neutral on block), which is why you should go with D1. Plus D1 sometimes catches the opponent jumping so if he decides to cross you up, you can convert into a combo. Try doing D1~ex overhead shoulder, but be careful, it doesn't jail and it can be interrupted.

Generally, it depends. But, based on the situation you described, I'd go with D1 since it's faster (6 frames. D3 is 7 frames), and you said your friend often goes for D1 after a string. Smoke's D1 is 6 frames too, so it would beat your D3 (since Smoke's 3D12 is neutral on block), which is why you should go with D1. Plus D1 sometimes catches the opponent jumping so if he decides to cross you up, you can convert into a combo. Try doing D1~ex overhead shoulder, but be careful, it doesn't jail and it can be interrupted.
here is video i hope u can see it,so u can tell me what should i change,there is that smoke

coolwhip

Noob
here is video i hope u can see it,so u can tell me what should i change,there is that smoke
All right. So your friend has some awful online habits that you should be blowing him up for.

1- He jumps around A LOT. Jax's standing 1 anti air is great, learn to time it better. He was getting away with a lot of jump-ins. Practice your anti air. If you're not too confident to land standing 1 AA yet, go for air gotcha grab.

2- When he crosses you over, you need to be blowing him up with D1. Again, work on this because the timing isn't easy. And in situations where he does cross over punch like 4 times in a row, you need to read it and neutral jump punch (which will beat it every time). Or at least, you can go for Ex overhead shoulder when you see him crossing you up.

3- D1~smoke bomb is interruptable. Practice counter-poking it. Jax's F4 punishes smoke bomb on block (you punished it on one occasion, but you should have went for F4~overhead elbow and then did ex ground pound).

4- When you have the life lead on Smoke, there is no need to get in on him. Force him to come to you. Smoke can't do chip damage with Smoke bomb and while he is building meter doing it, you were sometimes getting caught dashing in and losing your life lead. Seeing your friend's habits, I'm almost certain if you lame him out after getting the life lead, he'll jump at you. Be ready and anti-air.

5- You were successfully hitting him with a D1 after he finishes a block string and catching him jumping. Work on converting into a combo after the D1 for additional damage. Don't leave damage on the table.

6- When your friend knocks you down, he'll often jump in as you're getting up. You need to tech roll immediately and use one of Jax's wake-ups if you see him jumping in (again, you can always go for EX overhead shoulder to be safe.).

DavS13

Noob
Like coolwhip was saying, this smoke player has very predictable patterns. If you have meter and he keeps crossing you up, ex oh. When he is smoking back dash punch him. If he keeps jumping at you trying to jk airgrab, sometimes you cant standing 1 AA so just uppercut him or use Jax's AA. He jumps alot after he d1's so prepare for that and AA him. If he isn't very good at counterpoking or dealing with crossups, then abuse d3 and cross him up all you like to keep the pressure on him. He's using your weakness to his advantage, so do the same.

coolwhip

Noob
I forgot to add, when you jump at him, he tends to anti air you with Smoke's D1 (even though Smoke's standing 2 is a much better option). To counter that, don't do JIP, do jump in kick into air grab to blow that up.

All right. So your friend has some awful online habits that you should be blowing him up for.

1- He jumps around A LOT. Jax's standing 1 anti air is great, learn to time it better. He was getting away with a lot of jump-ins. Practice your anti air. If you're not too confident to land standing 1 AA yet, go for air gotcha grab.

2- When he crosses you over, you need to be blowing him up with D1. Again, work on this because the timing isn't easy. And in situations where he does cross over punch like 4 times in a row, you need to read it and neutral jump punch (which will beat it every time). Or at least, you can go for Ex overhead shoulder when you see him crossing you up.

3- D1~smoke bomb is interruptable. Practice counter-poking it. Jax's F4 punishes smoke bomb on block (you punished it on one occasion, but you should have went for F4~overhead elbow and then did ex ground pound).

4- When you have the life lead on Smoke, there is no need to get in on him. Force him to come to you. Smoke can't do chip damage with Smoke bomb and while he is building meter doing it, you were sometimes getting caught dashing in and losing your life lead. Seeing your friend's habits, I'm almost certain if you lame him out after getting the life lead, he'll jump at you. Be ready and anti-air.

5- You were successfully hitting him with a D1 after he finishes a block string and catching him jumping. Work on converting into a combo after the D1 for additional damage. Don't leave damage on the table.

6- When your friend knocks you down, he'll often jump in as you're getting up. You need to tech roll immediately and use one of Jax's wake-ups if you see him jumping in (again, you can always go for EX overhead shoulder to be safe.).
Very helpful post, thanks man, how to do tech roll ? Just back? U mean d1 aa? Its really hard, he found i wait him for s1 aa so he went for jik i should use aa gg, do u think i should be more agressive and use more.mixups pressure
And should i stop playing online jax should i use other char instead because of online habbit?

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
Thanks what about these other things i asked
When you ask about D1 AA, which part in my post are you referring to?

As far as pressuring, Smoke has a large hitbox so you can pressure him with F413. When you do F41 on hit but don't complete the string, try to go for a grab afterwards occasionally to keep him guessing. Don't pressure if you have a significant life lead and lame Smoke out by forcing him to come to you.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
Play footsies and control the space in front of you! You have f4. It's really fast and has great range, it'll beat all of smokes normals. Abuse that range, hit him with the tip of your foot. Make him afraid to enter that space. Then he'll try to jump in at you. Jax has great AA's... s1 especially. Make him afraid to approach you.

No more random NJPs. Stop throwing that out, it rarely works. Use standing 1 to anti-air jump-ins and d2 to blow up cross-ups! (Jax's d2 is awesome for this)

Also, you have to be more careful throwing out the superman punch in the footsie game and on wake-up. It's full combo punishable if neutral crouched (no blocking) and your friend punished you a few times for it. Go back and watch yourself. Half the time you use the superman punch it gets ducked.

I know this might sound harsh but I see a lot of good stuff too. Your poking and Jax pressure looks on point. You're just getting flustered because your opponent is being random and jumping all over you. Play patient and make him play your game. AND D2 THOSE CROSS-UPS

When you ask about D1 AA, which part in my post are you referring to?

As far as pressuring, Smoke has a large hitbox so you can pressure him with F413. When you do F41 on hit but don't complete the string, try to go for a grab afterwards occasionally to keep him guessing. Don't pressure if you have a significant life lead and lame Smoke out by forcing him to come to you.
Play footsies and control the space in front of you! You have f4. It's really fast and has great range, it'll beat all of smokes normals. Abuse that range, hit him with the tip of your foot. Make him afraid to enter that space. Then he'll try to jump in at you. Jax has great AA's... s1 especially. Make him afraid to approach you.

No more random NJPs. Stop throwing that out, it rarely works. Use standing 1 to anti-air jump-ins and d2 to blow up cross-ups! (Jax's d2 is awesome for this)

Also, you have to be more careful throwing out the superman punch in the footsie game and on wake-up. It's full combo punishable if neutral crouched (no blocking) and your friend punished you a few times for it. Go back and watch yourself. Half the time you use the superman punch it gets ducked.

I know this might sound harsh but I see a lot of good stuff too. Your poking and Jax pressure looks on point. You're just getting flustered because your opponent is being random and jumping all over you. Play patient and make him play your game. AND D2 THOSE CROSS-UPS
Thanks guys alot, do u think i should stop playing online jax ?

Guys how to counter cyrax ragdoll? And what should i do when i am.knovked down and before i need to stand oppoent just cross me up and start strings?

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Guys how to counter cyrax ragdoll? And what should i do when i am.knovked down and before i need to stand oppoent just cross me up and start strings?
d1-ex elbow or just elbow if you are reading another d1-ragdoll from cyrax (since both down1s are 6frames). When knocked down, again if you are doubting your d1 anti air, again ex elbow!

coolwhip

Noob
Can you elaborate on Cyrax's ragdoll? As in, can you describe the situation in which you want to counter it? How is your opponent using it? If you mean punish it on block, you can't because it's safe. If you read a wake-up ragdoll after you knock your opponent down, you can neutral jump and punish (the same way you punish Sonya's cartwheel) or of course, you can use armor since you're Jax.

As far as being cross up on knockdown, it's difficult to say given that again, I don't know the situation. But, the first advice I can give you is to tech roll immediately. If not, you can actually stay down for longer by holding the down button, and then do a delayed tech roll in the opposite direction after your opponent does the cross up (so he'll whiff). And finally, you can wake-up attack. If you're willing to spend meter, wake-up with an ex-overhead elbow. However, what you can do is use Jax's dash punch on wake-up to get out of the way (do it right as your opponent is crossing you up so you'll do it in the opposite direction).