What's new

Favorite Archetype and Character(s) of each

Favorite Architype...?

• Total voters

RebelzPlague

I like to think I'm good.
I know there are thousands of these, but here we go.

As I way to pass the time, and with all these new Indie fighters coming out, I started writing up my own general idea of a fighting game and ideas I'd wanna put in it and other stuff like that (dumb I know, but anything to pass time).

So anyway, as I was writing up the character playstyles and movesets and whatnot, I wondered which of my hypothetical characters people would play the most. That lead me to wonder which playstyles people generally play the most, and they're favorite characters in that playstyle. So, that is my question to you all. And if I missed one (which is highly likely since I just picked the ones off the top of my head), or they fall under some smaller branch of one, please specify.

And to finish it, I will answer my own question. Really, I like them all, but I seem to lean more towards rushdown, but it mainly depends on the characters and system for me.
And as for characters:
Rushdown: Asuka (SFxT) Never actually played Tekken, but I liked her in SFxT, Sol Badguy (GGAC+), Spencer (UMvC3), Flash (IGA), Liu Kang (MK9), Akane (AH3), Weiss (AH3), Shadow Dio (Jojo's arcade), Valentine (SkullGirls), Double (SkullGirls), Kyo Kusanagi (KoF13), Yun (SF4) & (SF3)

Zoning: Noob Saibot (MK9), Kano (MK9), Nu-13/Lambda-11 (BlazBlue), Athena (KoF13), Remy (SF3), Hawkeye (UMvC3), Ghost Rider (UMvC3), Chris (UMvC3)

Grappler: Zangief (SF4), Alex (SF3), Kira (AH3), Tager (BlazBlue), Haggar (UMvC3), Potemkin (GGAC+), Hakan (SF4), Clark (KoF13), Jax (MK9), Soloman Grundy (IGA), Kanji Tatsumi (P4A), Vice (KoF13)

Charge: Saki (AH3), Zenia (AH3), Claw (SF4) & (SFxT), Boxer (SF4) & (SFxT), Q (SF3), Urien (SF3), Venom (GGAC+), Shuma Gorath (UMvC3), Mitsuru (P4A)

Jack-of-all-Trade: Shang Tsung (MK9), Dante (UMvC3), King (KoF13), Aigis (P4A), Hazama (BlazBlue), Iron Man (UMvC3), Zod (IGA)

Now, go on, share if you will.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Liu Kang, Ermac, Harley Quinn, (kind of Sub-Zero), (Kind of Cyborg)
As they fall into the "jack of all trades" category-
For they possess versatility.
It is with this versatility, that I can subtle-y transition between two different meta playstyles- rushdown and zoning, and score myself even more damage, as the opponent began to expect me relying on one type of playstyle.
These characters feel the most free, and fluid, as they give you the greatest amount of options, and can be played in a larger variety of different styles than most other characters, who are constrained to only having one strong part of their game.
Playing a jack of all trades character forces the user to have knowledge of footsies and spacing, and use these to their advantage in the fight.
They rely less on a game-plan, and more on anticipating the opponents tactics during the match.

d3v

SRK
Needs to include lockdown/trap.

Examples:
-MvC2 Spiral with Cable B or Sentinel-Y assits
-MvC2 Strider with Doom B assist
-UMvC3 Morrigan with Doom B assist
-Skullgirls Peacock w/ Double 623+MP assist
-Skullgirls Double

The idea is that these characters (and teams) can simply lock their opponents in blockstun (but without using blockstun infinites). The lockdown is also considered a "trap" since letting go of block usually results in a big combo. These are more often than not seen in team games with assists where the proper team and assist combinations (Strider with Doom's rocks in MvC2, Morrigan with Doom's missiles in UMvC3) can allow these characters to thrive. Some near/almost lockdown characters can exist in games without assists, such as with Rolento in vanilla SFxT with his 2-frame jab, but these characters are usually considered as rushdown as their chip damage output isn't as strong as true lockdown.

RebelzPlague

I like to think I'm good.
Needs to include lockdown/trap.

Examples:
-MvC2 Spiral with Cable B or Sentinel-Y assits
-MvC2 Strider with Doom B assist
-UMvC3 Morrigan with Doom B assist
-Skullgirls Peacock w/ Double 623+MP assist
-Skullgirls Double

The idea is that these characters (and teams) can simply lock their opponents in blockstun (but without using blockstun infinites). The lockdown is also considered a "trap" since letting go of block usually results in a big combo. These are more often than not seen in team games with assists where the proper team and assist combinations (Strider with Doom's rocks in MvC2, Morrigan with Doom's missiles in UMvC3) can allow these characters to thrive. Some near/almost lockdown characters can exist in games without assists, such as with Rolento in vanilla SFxT with his 2-frame jab, but these characters are usually considered as rushdown as their chip damage output isn't as strong as true lockdown.

I understand your argument, it's very well made. However, there are lockdown/pressure characters in other non-team games. Rolento is a good example of one, and off the top of my head, Urien with Aegis Reflector super from Third Strike, Carl Clover and Amane Nishiki from BlazBlue, Venom and Eddie from Guilty Gear, Yu Narukami, Yukiko Amagi and Shadow Labrys from Persona 4 Arena, Lieselotte Achenbach from Arcana Heart. These are all the ones that came to mind.

However, a 'trap' character would pretty much be considered a zoner. Since a trap character is the type that lays traps along the stage, and then force the opponent try and bypass them. Examples of this would be someone like Trish, RR, or even Chris in UMvC3, Naoto Shirogane in Persona 4 Arena, Rachel Alucard from BlazBlue, Bridget from Guilty Gear.

But anyway, you are correct, pressure/lockdown should definitely be put on the list.
EDIT: It seems as if I can't change the poll, but still, I would like to thank you for this discussion. The only thing I would ask of you is if your willing, to answer the question of the thread. I would like to see what type of characters you play.

d3v

SRK
However, a 'trap' character would pretty much be considered a zoner. Since a trap character is the type that lays traps along the stage, and then force the opponent try and bypass them. Examples of this would be someone like Trish, RR, or even Chris in UMvC3, Naoto Shirogane in Persona 4 Arena, Rachel Alucard from BlazBlue, Bridget from Guilty Gear.
Depends on what you consider as "trap." Strider/Doom in MvC2 was considered as a trap team since, aside from the lockdown, you were baiting your opponent into doing something and eating a hit from orbs or rocks to allow for a big damage combo.
EDIT: It seems as if I can't change the poll, but still, I would like to thank you for this discussion. The only thing I would ask of you is if your willing, to answer the question of the thread. I would like to see what type of characters you play.
I play top tier.

But will admit to preferring zoning or lockdown characters.

But I'll RSTD if that gives me wins.

EDIT:
Also, "charge" isn't a character gameplay archetype like the other choices.

Stumbled on this thread and wanted to bring the discussion back because I think it's an interesting one.

It's hard to make the distinction between trap/lockdown and other styles because usually it can be more accurately described as an extreme version of either zoning or rushdown depending on the character. Strider/Doom and Spiral/Sentinel in mvc2 trap you in ways where its hard to press a button without being punished. But where Strider is fishing for a hit up close, most of the hits Spiral will land are from projectiles. Morrigan/Doom is similar in mvc3 where you're locked down from fullscreen and unlikely to eat a full Morrigan combo (unless its chris g). Same thing with Peacock/Double in skullgirls. Vergil/Strider in mvc3 can also be considered a lockdown team but nobody can really think of Vergil as a zoning character. Other examples in injustice are Lex and MMH. They both have "trapping" specials but they mostly use them to augment their rushdown.

There are some unique examples though. Parasoul in skullgirls can use her teardrops to keep you out from fullscreen AND to force you to block up close. Cyrax in mk9 uses his bombs mainly for combo extension and resets.

Charge characters can't really be their own group either for the same reasons. In street fighter, Guile and Remy would both be considered zoners but you wouldn't say the same for Boxer or Claw.

As far as MY favorite style I don't really have one. The characters I chose to play are based more on their design than by their playstyle but I guess I do gravitate towards characters that can do it all and are well-rounded. I will say I tend to respect rushdown more than zoning just because in general zoning is a much easier way to win. Grapplers are definitely the most hype though.

On to my favorites

Zoning: Megaman, Cable, Ghost Rider (MvC series) Guile, Sagat, Dhalsim (SF series) Peacock (Skullgirls) Noob Saibot (MK)

Rushdown: Wolverine, Strider Hiryu, Rogue, Vergil, Frank West (MvC series) Yun, Dudley, Adon (SF) Filia (SG) Liu Kang, Sonya (MK) Batman, Batgirl (IGAU) Zabel/L. Raptor, Aulbath/Rikuo (Darkstalkers)

Grappler: E. Honda, Abel (SF) Cerebella (SG) Solomon Grundy (IGAU) Victor (DS)

All-Around: Gambit, Spiderman, Storm, Doom, Dante (MvC) Ken (SF) Parasoul (SG) Harley Quinn, Martian Manhunter, Deathstroke, Lex Luthor (IGAU) Donovan, Demitri, Jedah (DS)

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 4

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
My character choices can be ordered into 3 categories.

1. Ninjas
2. Lightning based
3. Use katanas

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I'm all about grappling. Something about throwing other characters around gives me great joy. I guess after that would be rushdown, because I hate playing at distance and shooting things when I could be charging in throwing wild haymakers or throwing people

Yojimzo

One of many Bat-Breakers.
Counter characters are usually my thing, IE: Jin/Hakumen from Blazblue, Hayabusa from DoA, etc.
Really Injustice was the game that got me interested in dabbling with grapplers though, and I found Im good with em.

Counter characters are usually my thing, IE: Jin/Hakumen from Blazblue, Hayabusa from DoA, etc.
Really Injustice was the game that got me interested in dabbling with grapplers though, and I found Im good with em.
If you're tempted to try grapplers in older games be prepared for a huge jump in execution

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 4

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
This is hard for me... I just pick characters based on whether or not they have a vagina and a pink color scheme. Femme fatales are where it's at for me.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Most of the times i end up playing Female with very good mobility characters these days.

But i do hate projectile characters, never really attached into one.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'll vote rushdown here because pressing frame advantage is probably the only way you can play online and not get frustrated at lag.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
I love playing characters with good footsies. I was raised on Super Turbo and Alpha 2 when I was little so I have that to blame. If characters that really good limbs I will most likely play it. I also like characters with good mobility as well. I really can't think of characters off the top of my head though. =(