What's new

Fate of Mortal Kombat Online, Spectation Thread

Do you think that Mick should be the sole decider on MKO?

• He is a good news article writer but is unable to cater for the community's needs, so no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should take a break and let the MKO community itself spice things up, geez.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zmoke

= zσмвιє ѕмσкє, тнє cυяяєηт ѕтαтυѕ σƒ тσм νявα∂αѕѕ
Greetings, folks of Test Your Might. This topic is for discussion about Mortal Kombat Online - which is pretty inactive, or dead as they say, right now. Discussion about its flaws has been up as of late, and frankly over many years now; the site has been supposed to be updated since the year 2008. (That passivity is contagious.) Many MKO users have migrated to TYM and obviously for a good reason - not just for MKO's outdatedness but the atmosphere, the amount of silly rules made by one guy, the fact that everything is ultimately ruled by one guy only - and other staff members have either complained or voted with their feet i.e. have become entirely stagnant.

The latest criticism thread is here, see it for yourself: "Is there an interest in updating this site?"

I will create an MKO topic with a poll about this soon, so we can see what the truth is - to let the community of MKO itself speak. But since I want to secure the thread's existence there, I thought that the users of TYM would sort of supervise how it will really pan out; to help MKO out on this, as the leading fellow MK community.

So if it gets just wantonly locked, which shouldn't happen because it doesn't violate any community rules, without any open discussion or proper explanation, TYM at least knows. (For the record; directing the discussion to PM in MKO is very common by Mick-Lucifer, the admin/primary moderator, and when you get there, the discussion doesn't really proceed. That's merely a means to end the discussion quickly. Happens all the time.)

I don't, per se, complain in here but tell the facts and most of all, wish to see what others think about this. MKO is and will be big (by site visitor activity) because there is this tail effect in which you gain visitors years after all the work is done. That doesn't make a site updated and good today, does it?

The activity doesn't necessarily correlate with the current situation. Truth is; MKO is one of the first forums to pop up in Google Search and a lot of new MK fans find themselves from MKO thanks to Google. Yet people quite scarcely post there.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
The poop basically hit the fan right when Mick-Lucifer started as the webmaster, a couple of years ago, when ~Crow~ left the site and just gave the keys to Mick-Lucifer, a long time user of MKO. There was this veteran user, Garlador, who created these weekly Kharacter of The Week threads that the community enjoyed. After a while of us already having these, Mick-Lucifer decided that these long opening posts clutter MKO. That created a lot of buzz in the forums and was explained by "this isn't Garlador Kombat Online." (Which to me is insulting and unthoughtful to say.) Then Garlador just followed the instructions and combined the KOTW posts about different characters in MK9 to one thread. It failed though: the images didn't pop up very well, and how do you think that discussion about Sonya, Smoke and Nightwolf (for instance) in the same time would work in the same topic? Confusing, at best.

The community was promised with changes but nothing has happened ever since. Except that a lot of users, including Garlador, have left the site. Ever since there have been a lot of users that clutter the forums, heck - even Mick-Lucifer has "violated" the five-topics-per-page rule, to be accurate - and nothing is done to those low-quality topics you encounter today. Yet Garlador's high quality posts were very prohibited. This is how things are and virtually no one can do anything about it, on MKO that is. Many, including me, have volunteered to help but A) help isn't welcome nearly from anyone and B) if it interferes with Mick's thoughts, it's not going to happen.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Please comment and give MKO a helping hand on this subject.
If you ask me, the staff should be re-evaluated and probably Mick could remain as a news writer (but not the sole news writer), that's about it.

Last edited:

Zmoke

Wut is an mko
It is a site that once was a pleasant forum for MK fans throughout realms to meet; now but a memory of those times.

A fellow MK community regardless, to TYM - hopefully you can also bring your two cents for the change.

skahwt

Noob
It is pretty telling that in order to get any kind of interest in MKO you have to post on TYM. That site had been a wasteland for years, time to let it go.

Zmoke

MKO has a very unpleasant site layout.

Not as bad as MKU, but still not something I would ever visit.

TYM seems like the only MK related site not stuck in the 90's when it comes to web design.
That is true - the comments sections are still stuck in 400px on MKO - and that fact is also one of the reasons why I've praised Test Your Might.

I think that giving MKO one - perhaps final - chance seems like a fair idea. But that requires a staff change, nothing less, for real.

PureYeti

Living in poverty cave
He really need to update the forums. It still bugs me to manual insert html codings to bold, insert links, etc lol. Looks like the webmaster refuse to accept suggestions or improve the community. I suggest you should pack up and move to another forum.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It's not that easy to simply upgrade the MKO forum... it was specifically programmed for that site and I don't think the guy who made it is still around.

A lot of the original members here began at MKO and it's predecessor(s). I have a lot of respect for that site, but once I became a competitor and found out that they would not support the competitive scene, I left it behind. Perhaps it is time to let it go.

Zmoke

He really need to update the forums. It still bugs me to manual insert html codings to bold, insert links, etc lol. Looks like the webmaster refuse to accept suggestions or improve the community. I suggest you should pack up and move to another forum.
Yeah, you can suggest things in the monitored feedback thread, but it does nothing. The forum system has this dragon point policy too, in which good posts gain dragon posts and bad posts skull points, but the distribution ratio of them is basically 1:5 (1dp, 5sp) today and practically Mick-Lucifer is almost exclusively allowed to distribute dragon points, even though the other moderators have the power to do so too.
It's not that easy to simply upgrade the MKO forum... it was specifically programmed for that site and I don't think the guy who made it is still around.
It's true (I've acknowledged that as well) but I think that MKO would have the right guys to make it happen at its disposal, within regular members alone.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Zmoke man this really doesn't need brought to TYM. I'm Mojo6 on MKO (the creator of the thread you cited at the beginning) and MKO's problems are just that...MKO's problems. Admins are asleep at the wheel and have been for some time. If you're looking for a larger and more active community just start coming to TYM in addition to MKO.

Last edited:

Zmoke

Zmoke man this really doesn't need brought to TYM. I'm Mojo6 on MKO (the creator of the thread you cited at the beginning) and MKO's problems are just that...MKO's problems. People are asleep at the wheel and have been for some time. If you're looking for a larger and active community just start coming to TYM in addition to MKO.
Thanks for your response. Asleep at the wheel is a dangerous combo, mind you. And I've been, occasionally, coming to TYM in addition to MKO.

The sole reason I brought it here in addition was to secure the thread, so that it won't be locked.

I understand your concern, but that is indeed the only (and a rather valid) reason.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Thanks for your response. Asleep at the wheel is a dangerous combo, mind you. And I've been, occasionally, coming to TYM in addition to MKO.

The sole reason I brought it here in addition was to secure the thread, so that it won't be locked.

I understand your concern, but that is indeed the only (and a rather valid) reason.
That's the thing though is that it'll likely be locked here since it has nothing to do with TYM and is just drama spillage from another site. And, to be honest, I'd be totally ok with that decision since MKU's shit is usually mopped up when it leaks over here too.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Sounds like an oppressive regime; if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't stick around :D

Zmoke

That's the thing though is that it'll likely be locked here since it has nothing to do with TYM and is just drama spillage from another site. And, to be honest, I'd be totally ok with that decision since MKU's shit is usually mopped up when it leaks over here too.
This is the off-topic forum and MKO does have something to do with TYM, much more than bananas or music taste, or whatever else you could discuss about in the off-topic forum. This topic alone proves TYM's connection to MKO.

Well, if you would be okay with that, then you don't obviously care about MKO really, do you?

Give the topic a shot,

you were the one to start the other topic I was quoting after all.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
This is the off-topic forum and MKO does have something to do with TYM, much more than bananas or music taste, or whatever else you could discuss about in the off-topic forum. This topic alone proves TYM's connection to MKO.

Well, if you would be okay with that, then you don't obviously care about MKO really, do you?

Give the topic a shot,

you were the one to start the other topic I was quoting after all.
I mean fair enough I guess *shrug* it just seems like a MKO lack of admins problem which you're hanging the sole responsibility of on Mick-Lucifer (who is the current Webmaster). The main reasoning is explained in the thread I made in that the lead coders and admins (CCShadow, Darquebishop, and Scott Howell) just flat out don't communicate with the MKO community or seem to come around anymore. Those are the guys that would be the ones to update the site, not Mick.

Zmoke

I mean fair enough I guess *shrug* it just seems like a MKO lack of admins problem which you're hanging the sole responsibility of on Mick-Lucifer (who is the current Webmaster). The main reasoning is explained in the thread I made in that the lead coders and admins (CCShadow, Darquebishop, and Scott Howell) just flat out don't communicate with the MKO community or seem to come around anymore. Those are the guys that would be the ones to update the site, not Mick.
Okay, so it apparently got deleted - I think it deserved its own thread - but at least the discussion continues in your thread:

http://mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=150096&page=3#msg1980428

Also, I completely realize that not everything is on Mick but really, the most is. And he could easily lighten the burden by, first, recruiting some new guys that wouldn't just moderate the site but actually develop it, since this is what we are talking about: updating Mortal Kombat Online.

Last edited:

Zmoke

It appears so, yes.

Last edited: