What's new

Extensive Soul Steal Thread

Hi Shang Tsung PLayers,

to improve the fightingskills with Shang Tsung, i think it is important to masters his Soul Steal, at least it would not be amiss. To use the Soul Steal in the best thinkable way would be, if a player knows every move and combos of every charakter in the game and is good enough to play all the charakters in prostyle. But for the most People (including me) this would be impossible to achieve. But if we´re clever, we dont have to learn everything. Here are some suggestions:

1) Most used Chars:

We have to short-list the most used characters in the game and only concentrate on them. For example the propability to fight against Sheeva is less than fighting against Kung Lao. So it is not that important to learn Sheevas moves than it is for Kung Lao. If we can build a rough top 10 List of the most used characters we can concentrate only on them. This should be our first task. If we also can find the right order of the List (Number 1 = The most played character), we can learn the characters step by step from 1 to 10 and everyone can decide if he maybe only wants to learn the top 5 or top 7 chars. In Short: We need a rough list of the most played chars in MK9.

2) Moves and Combos:

Once we got that list (see above), we can talk about what we have to learn about the chars. We have to discuss if its important to learn every special and every basic-combo from the chars, or once again reduce them only to the important ones. After that we have to discuss which an how many BnB and advanced combos we have to learn for every char. There we have to include our knowledge of the time the soul steal remains (around 5sec. And 8 sec. With EX). So maybe not every long combo is important to us. Even here in Move/Combo section we should reduce the things we have to learn to the important ones.

3) Tactics:

Maybe there are matchups in which it is more important to soul steal than in others. So maybe if you play against a char that makes it very diffuclt to play as a zoner it would be a adavantage to soul steal. Or in some matchups its the opposite way and we have a greater advantage if we dont soul steal. Here we have to talk about our own experiences.

Some other important point is, that some players play really defensively after we soul steal, beacause of our dmg boost. So have we have to think about how we can use our morphed chars to get around this defensive players (this leads direct to point 2, because maybe there special combos or moves that we can use in this situations).

So if we reduce all the informations that we have to the important ones, i think we can improve our use of the soul steal move. Maybe we can create a compact List of the important chars and their important moves that we additionaly have to master to be great Shang Tsung players.

Please post if i missed a point about the soul steel (like startes for soul steal or videos etc.). And pls post your suggestions for the other Points. In a couple of days i will post my first results.

Results (1.0)

1)

After some research an talking to other players i came to the conclusion, that i put it the wrong way. Because a List of the most played Chars is depending on the area you play in. So maybe in your Area they will play other Chars than in another area. Still there will be chars you see in every area. But lets face the fact thats the lists will be different from area to area. So let´s go directly to point 2 and collect all the good combos, for all the chars and than you can chose your top chars you will the most time.

2)

So there we have the first List, maybe we can update it with some tactical infos like "use this combo on downblocking enemys, use this combo as blockstring" "safe on block" and so on. And videos maybe!

General into Soulsteal-Combos:

F+4, 3, 4, DB4, DF4, XDF4, soul steal (5 hits, 25%)

2, 2, 1, DU4, DB4, soul steal ( 7 hits, 31% damage)
2, 2, 1, DB4, DF4, XDF4, 1, 2, soul steal ( 12 hits 38% damage)

B+1, 2, 1, DU4, DB4, XDB4, BB, soul steal (10 hits, 32% damage)
B+1, 2, 1, 4, DF4, XDF4, soul steal (10 hits, 31% damage)
B+1, 2, 1, 4, DF4, XDF4, F+4, 3, 4, XDF4, soul steal (16 hits 36% damage)

close skull, dash, 1,2,1, soul steal

upskull, jp, 2,2,1, close skull, dash, mid skull, dash, soul steal (44%)
upskull, jp, f+3,4, mid skull, far skull, ex skull, close skull, close skull, soul steal (47%)
upskull, 2,2,1, mid skull, far skull, ex skull, close skull, close skull, soul steal (50%)

(corner) upskull, jp, 2,2,1, close skull, jk, b+1, b+1,2,1,4, soul steal (45%)

Thx here to -M-

After Soulsteal-Combos:

Baraka: 2, 2, 1+2, dash, B+3, 1, dash, 4, *Blade Charge (43%, 8 Hits)
Cyber Sub-Zero: B+1, Ice Ball, jP, 2, 1, 1+2, dash, F+1, 4 (45%, 9 Hits)
Cyrax: f.Bomb, F+2, #B+2, Uppercut (45%, 5 Hits)
Ermac: Forcelift, jK, Forceport, dash, 2, 2, Force Push (42%, 8 Hits)
Jade: B+1, Staff Overhead, dash, B+2, dash, 4, F+3 (41%, 7 Hits)
Jax: m.Ground Pound, dash, F+2, 2, B+1, Air Gotcha Grab (38%, 6 Hits)
Johnny Cage: F+4, dash, 2, 1, F+2, dash, 4, 4, Flip Kick (45%, 7 Hits)
Kabal:
Kano: B+1, 1, 2, dash, *B+1, 1, 2, Ball (41%, 8 Hits)
Kenshi: F+3,2, upslash, F+2,2, B+2
Kitana: F+2, 1, B+2, *Fan Toss, dash, #Fan Toss, dash *3, 3, Pretty Kick (49%, 10 Hits)
Kung Lao: 1, 1, 2, Spin, jK, Dive Kick, F+3, Spin (35%, 8 Hits)
Liu Kang: B+3, 1, 2, dash, *B+3, 1, 2, dash, #B+3, 1, 2, dash, *uppercut (44%, 10 Hits)
Mileena: U+4, U+4, B+1, 4, 4, Roll, U+4 (40%, 7 Hits)
Nightwolf: B+2, 2, *Axe Swing, Axe Swing, dash, 2, Choke (43%, 7 Hits)
Noob:
  • B+1, 2, 1, 4, *Teleport Slam (30%, 6 Hits)
  • B+1, 2, 1, 4, *Teleport Slam, Running Man
Quan Chi: B+2, 1, step forward, B+2, 1, dash, 1, 1, 2, trance, (revert), B+1, 2, 1, Fireball (44%,12 Hits)
Raiden:
Rain:
Reptile: jP, 1, 2, 2, fast forceball, 3, 2, slow forceball, 3, 2, 1, (morph back) soul steal
Scorpion: B+2, jK, *teleport, jK, *Air Throw (30%, 6 Hits)
Sektor: B+3,4, Teleport, B+2, 1
Sheeva: 2, 1, 2, F+1, Grab N Punch (40%, 11 Hits)
Sindel: B+1, 2, dash, 1, *Scream, dash, 2, 1, Step Up (36%, 10 Hits)
Skarlet:
Smoke:
  • jP, 3, D1, 2, dash, 3, D1, 2, smoke cloud, (morph back) soul steal
  • 3, d+1, 4, dash, 3 d+1,4 wait smoke bomb
    [*]3, 4, dash, 3, d+1, 4 wait, smoke bomb
Sonya Blade: Air Dop, 4, *Kartwheel, dash, B+2, 1, F+2, #1, Leg Grab (50%, 10 Hits)
Stryker: B+1, 2, 2, njP, Gun Shot, Roll Toss (38%, 8 Hits)
Sub-Zero: B+1, 2, *Iceball, 2, 1, 4, *Slide (41%, 7 hits)

Thx to TheChad_87, Gamin_Guru, JHCRANE 14, eskuAdradit0

-M-

Noob
Well I just posted a thread about it recently, but here's a vid of mine, it fits right in here, though I dunno if the thread will end up going anywhere.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Just Shang Bangin'

I've been working on a character Guide and this is in my Shang Tsung section. Might be helpful:

Shang Bang Cheat Sheet:
Details combos that Shang Tsung should know with each character to maximize his efficacy with Soul Steal/Capture.
Kabal:
Kenshi:
Kitana: F+2, 1, B+2, *Fan Toss, dash, #Fan Toss, dash *3, 3, Pretty Kick (49%, 10 Hits)
Lui Kang: B+3, 1, 2, dash, *B+3, 1, 2, dash, #B+3, 1, 2, dash, *uppercut (44%, 10 Hits)
Noob: B+1, 2, 1, 4, *Teleport Slam (30%, 6 Hits)
Quan Chi: B+2, 1, step forward, B+2, 1, dash, 1, 1, 2, trance, (revert), B+1, 2, 1, Fireball (44%,12 Hits)
Raiden:
Reptile:
Sektor:
Skarlet:
Smoke:
Sonya Blade: Air Dop, 4, *Kartwheel, dash, B+2, 1, F+2, #1, Leg Grab (50%, 10 Hits)

The blank sections are because I haven't done those Characters' sections in the guide yet.

The point was to make EASY to perform, METERLESS combos.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
the way i currently use SS with the limited window of opportunity is if i'm lucky a projectile here and there or a grab.

Sektor: B+3,4, Teleport, B+2, 1
Kenshi: F+3,2, upslash, F+2,2, B+2

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I've been working on a character Guide and this is in my Shang Tsung section. Might be helpful:

Shang Bang Cheat Sheet:
Details combos that Shang Tsung should know with each character to maximize his efficacy with Soul Steal/Capture.
Kabal:
Kenshi:
Lui Kang: B+3, 1, 2, dash, *B+3, 1, 2, dash, #B+3, 1, 2, dash, *uppercut (44%, 10 Hits)
Noob: B+1, 2, 1, 4, *Teleport Slam (30%, 6 Hits)
Raiden:
Reptile:
Sektor:
Skarlet:
Smoke:

The blank sections are because I haven't done those Characters' sections in the guide yet.
i
The point was to make EASY to perform, METERLESS combos.
Awesome, I'm trying it out tomorrow morning. Just a few things: you can just go easy with CZsub and go 3,4 -> slide and still get around 20ish if they are blocking low. You usually have time to leave a few ice bombs. With sub-zero, you can dash back after the ice ball and jP to 2,1,4, slide. That is, if you get to land the iceball really quick (as in first hit starts the combo). Adds a nice 4% I believe.
With smoke you can just go with easy string 3, d+1, 4, dash, 3 d+1,4 wait smoke bomb. You can mix it up and just go 3, 4, dash, 3, d+1, 4 wait, smoke bomb.
With noob you can go b+1, 2, 1, 4, black hole, running man. I don't know if you have enough time, but if you do you might get a free reset.
Other than that, nice combos. It helps a lot for characters you aren't really interested in learning(I'm not learning Jax any time soon)

(ps: you misepelled Liu Kang.)

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
the way i currently use SS with the limited window of opportunity is if i'm lucky a projectile here and there or a grab.
Yeah - This is largely true as well. Just about the only way to land any of those is immediate jump-in punch and go, but all of them fit within the time you are transformed and most of them give ou a little wiggle room as far as timing is concerned.
Also, you should have plenty of time for these if you've used a EN Soul Steal.

Albo

Noob
what would happen if shang did a soul steal online on a dlc character that the shang player has not bought? this questions just been bugging me for some reason.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
what would happen if shang did a soul steal online on a dlc character that the shang player has not bought? this questions just been bugging me for some reason.
you can use him as long as you have the comatibility packs I believe.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I have been experimenting with Shang Tsung for a while in the lab. Overall I think EX soul steal is the best move in the game for 4 main reasons and 2 bounus reasons. here's why I believe it is the best overall move in the entire game.

Bounus #1 EX soul steal has good, not great or excellent, but good range. About half screen I would say, so it has enough range to be viable in any match.
Bounus#2 EX soul steal has good, not great or excellent, but good start up speed. It is fast enough to check careless from up to half screen.

Now the 4 main reasons why I believe EX soul steal is the move in the game.
#1 It has armor.
#2 Totally safe on block.
#3 Recieves a large damage boost.
#4 Prevents a wake up attack.

So this is why I believe EX soul steal is the best move in the game. Could you imagine a Johnny Cage nut punch or a Setor flamethrower being safe on block and they recieve a damage boost. People would be sreaming for them to be nerfed, and that is not even taking into consideration that soul steal has greater range than any for those two moves.

My main personal bnb combo for Shang Tsung ends in the regular soul steal: Up skull above- jump in combo punch-2,2,1-close ground skull-medium ground skull-EX ground skull-soul steal 43%. Once you finish this combo you can now pressure and go into combos as the charcter your fighting but with a damage boost.

My mains are reptile and smoke. I took Shang in the lab and this is my bnb regular soul steal combo for both characters. I will have to update my damage % later, sorry.

Once you have landed soul steal on reptile: Jump in combo punch-1,2,2,fast forceball-3,2,slow forceball-3,2,1-(morph back into Shang Tsung) soul steal. You can jump in combo punch and repeat the process until the opponet stops it.

Once you have landed soul steal on smoke: Jump in combo punch-3,d1,2-dash-3,d1,2- smoke cloud(morph back into Shang Tsung) soul steal. You can jump in combo punch and repeat the process until the opponet stops it.

I am still learning with Shang Tsung, but I like what I see so far.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I have been experimenting with Shang Tsung for a while in the lab. Overall I think EX soul steal is the best move in the game for 4 main reasons and 2 bounus reasons. here's why I believe it is the best overall move in the entire game.

Bounus #1 EX soul steal has good, not great or excellent, but good range. About half screen I would say, so it has enough range to be viable in any match.
Bounus#2 EX soul steal has good, not great or excellent, but good start up speed. It is fast enough to check careless from up to half screen.

Now the 4 main reasons why I believe EX soul steal is the move in the game.
#1 It has armor.
#2 Totally safe on block.
#3 Recieves a large damage boost.
#4 Prevents a wake up attack.

So this is why I believe EX soul steal is the best move in the game. Could you imagine a Johnny Cage nut punch or a Setor flamethrower being safe on block and they recieve a damage boost. People would be sreaming for them to be nerfed, and that is not even taking into consideration that soul steal has greater range than any for those two moves.

My main personal bnb combo for Shang Tsung ends in the regular soul steal: Up skull above- jump in combo punch-2,2,1-close ground skull-medium ground skull-EX ground skull-soul steal 43%. Once you finish this combo you can now pressure and go into combos as the charcter your fighting but with a damage boost.

My mains are reptile and smoke. I took Shang in the lab and this is my bnb regular soul steal combo for both characters. I will have to update my damage % later, sorry.

Once you have landed soul steal on reptile: Jump in combo punch-1,2,2,fast forceball-3,2,slow forceball-3,2,1-(morph back into Shang Tsung) soul steal. You can jump in combo punch and repete the process until the opponet stops it.

Once you have landed soul steal on smoke: Jump in combo punch-3,d1,2-dash-3,d1,2- smoke cloud(morph back into Shang Tsung) soul steal. You can jump in combo punch and repete the process until the opponet stops it.

I am still learning with Shang Tsung, but I like what I see so far.
Let me help you with that bnb.
Up skull above, jp, 2,2,1 mid ground skull, far ground skull, ex ground skull, close ground skull, soul steal. I believe you can add some kicks after that soul steal, but I like to keep the distance.
Try it with f+3,4 as well.
If they block the first string, then you can go with a close ground skull first. Chances is they're gonna try to punish the blocked string and get hit by ground skull, leaving you with a free unbreakable combo.
Even if they block the close ground skull you get a some nice pressure and chip dmg. That's when you can use the up skull.

The great thing about the soul steal is the damage boost. It's so good, that even chip damage deadly, so much that going just for mixups is clearly a nice strat. Heck, even without being morphed shang still got some nice mixups. It can be quite tricky for your opponent to fuzzy block, specially on a corner.

mekane

Noob
Question on the armor of EX soul steal:

yesterday I did an EX soul steal, and my opponent was smoke and did a smoke bomb at the same time. My bar of meter was used, and I started the soul steal animation (I think it was the EX soul steal animation) but his smoke bomb still knocked me out of it. Does this move only have armor on startup? Is there some properties of the armor that the smoke bomb will still hit me out of it for some reason? Or did I imagine things and I didn't really do the EX SS?

Note: i also had plenty of life, the damage I took did not kill me.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Question on the armor of EX soul steal:

yesterday I did an EX soul steal, and my opponent was smoke and did a smoke bomb at the same time. My bar of meter was used, and I started the soul steal animation (I think it was the EX soul steal animation) but his smoke bomb still knocked me out of it. Does this move only have armor on startup? Is there some properties of the armor that the smoke bomb will still hit me out of it for some reason? Or did I imagine things and I didn't really do the EX SS?

Note: i also had plenty of life, the damage I took did not kill me.
I can think of these scenarios.
1) You did do a EX Ss. You got him with the first hit, and then armor wear off, leaving you open to a quick projectile such as Smoke's bomb. You didn't get to morph since Shang morphs in the forty-something frame or so I believe. Way way, after the first hit of the SS. SS has 2 hits.

2) You didn't use EX Ss and got your ass knocked to a faster projectile. Shit happens, that's why you gotta be careful as it's one of the hardest matchups for Shang imo.

EX SS's armor activates instantly. (You do not get the meter drain bug that happens with Kabal's EX Nomad dash and others). It's a great tool as you can interrupt many many more strings than any character can. (I believe it's even better than CSub'z 2f ice parry for interrupting strings.)

mekane

Noob
I can think of these scenarios.
1) You did do a EX Ss. You got him with the first hit, and then armor wear off, leaving you open to a quick projectile such as Smoke's bomb. You didn't get to morph since Shang morphs in the forty-something frame or so I believe. Way way, after the first hit of the SS. SS has 2 hits.
This has to be it, because I believe I did do damage to him, and I am 90% sure I did do the EX Soul steal. So the armor doesn't last for the 2nd hit, just before the first hit, so if there is a projectile in mid air when you land the first hit, it could hit you before the 2nd hit of SS.

Makes the smoke matchup even worse, its bad enough I have to use an EX SS in anticipation of his smoke bomb (kind of a waste if he just blocks it, and I imagine I take damage if he teleports?)

I have trouble with this matchup because I can't really jump with his standing anti air and superior hit box on his jump kick / throw in the air. i know smokes air-to-air is superior because when I morph into him things even back up in air-to-air situations. And he just jumps all the time because I can't anti air his kick -> air throw.... and then he has frame advantage on a blocked kick. If I mistime a d1 he can still jump over me and land a JIK->throw before I even can block again. its hard to get in on him, too, because shang's f4 has such a short range, hard to dash -> f4 and a lot of times I come up short and eat a combo, or he'll just jump over me for a cross up I can't do anything about.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
This has to be it, because I believe I did do damage to him, and I am 90% sure I did do the EX Soul steal. So the armor doesn't last for the 2nd hit, just before the first hit, so if there is a projectile in mid air when you land the first hit, it could hit you before the 2nd hit of SS.

Makes the smoke matchup even worse, its bad enough I have to use an EX SS in anticipation of his smoke bomb (kind of a waste if he just blocks it, and I imagine I take damage if he teleports?)

I have trouble with this matchup because I can't really jump with his standing anti air and superior hit box on his jump kick / throw in the air. i know smokes air-to-air is superior because when I morph into him things even back up in air-to-air situations. And he just jumps all the time because I can't anti air his kick -> air throw.... and then he has frame advantage on a blocked kick. If I mistime a d1 he can still jump over me and land a JIK->throw before I even can block again. its hard to get in on him, too, because shang's f4 has such a short range, hard to dash -> f4 and a lot of times I come up short and eat a combo, or he'll just jump over me for a cross up I can't do anything about.
For him to have frame advantage on a blocked jumpkick then it has to be a well distanced deep jumpkick. Try using this against him. Deep jumpkick into him(you gotta know the distance), then either b2, soulsteal or F3 soulsteal. Or even a throw. A blocked jumpkick (no deep jump kick) may be punishable with a d1 into juggle, so bare that in mind. Thing is, if he's going for the frame advantage (deep jumpkick) then he can't use his airthrow (but he can go for a regular throw)

If he cross jumps you, then use D3 to lower your hitbox. If he decides to do another crossup, I believe your D1 will catch him the majority of the time.
On close range, it depends on if you're fighting a good smoke with shang's mu exp. A good smoke can parry your groundskulls on reaction, even interrupt blockstrings. (F4, Close groundskull is interruptable by his Shake. F434 is interruptable by D3 and D1, and 2,2,1 is interruptable by D3) So instead of ending your strings with a blocked close ground skull, try playing with Infront upskull and above upskull or play safe with a soulteal. This is where the whole game revolves against a good smoke matchup, on making him do bad guesses and making him eat the upskull. I believe you can F4, in front upskull, and he may be able to connect dash xx shake, but that may be too risky for him unless he's a jedi.

On jump distance, try backing out a little bit and bait his jump attempts with soulsteals. Fullscreen you gotta play the waiting game with him and try to approach, as Smoke seems to have the advantage on this matchup.

mekane

Noob
For him to have frame advantage on a blocked jumpkick then it has to be a well distanced deep jumpkick. Try using this against him. Deep jumpkick into him(you gotta know the distance), then either b2, soulsteal or F3 soulsteal. Or even a throw. A blocked jumpkick (no deep jump kick) may be punishable with a d1 into juggle, so bare that in mind. Thing is, if he's going for the frame advantage (deep jumpkick) then he can't use his airthrow (but he can go for a regular throw)

If he cross jumps you, then use D3 to lower your hitbox. If he decides to do another crossup, I believe your D1 will catch him the majority of the time.
On close range, it depends on if you're fighting a good smoke with shang's mu exp. A good smoke can parry your groundskulls on reaction, even interrupt blockstrings. (F4, Close groundskull is interruptable by his Shake. F434 is interruptable by D3 and D1, and 2,2,1 is interruptable by D3) So instead of ending your strings with a blocked close ground skull, try playing with Infront upskull and above upskull or play safe with a soulteal. This is where the whole game revolves against a good smoke matchup, on making him do bad guesses and making him eat the upskull. I believe you can F4, in front upskull, and he may be able to connect dash xx shake, but that may be too risky for him unless he's a jedi.

On jump distance, try backing out a little bit and bait his jump attempts with soulsteals. Fullscreen you gotta play the waiting game with him and try to approach, as Smoke seems to have the advantage on this matchup.
Its usually on a cross up that he seems to have advantage with his jump kick on block. I always go for a D1 after he landsbut his D1 beats mine.

Deep jumpkick into him fails because he always anti airs me with standing 2 into a full combo.

I try to D3 to lower my hitbox against his cross jump but it seems like his kick -> air throw almost always still lands.

if I think he is going to cross over jump me at point blank range, is it better to do f4-> close ground skull or d1? seems like my d1 isn't that good at catching him right as he is jumping, its sometimes too late and then I eat a cross over JIK-> air throw.

right now even if I do catch him with a D1 just as he is jumping, its really hard to react in time to do the dash f4, 3, skull. i imagine only really good players can do this much? or it takes some time in practice mode?

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
My most consistent person to play against also plays smoke... I play shang, and find i can pick up almost any other char, and do better.
So I understand the pain there.

yeah smoke is very annoying. i just stick to SS in that matchup. but a naked SS is always risky because sb is faster than SS (at least in SS's range). he's fast and smoke bomb is never good to trade with, god forbid they know his f4 reset and/or know when to shake. i just play defensively and wait for them to mess up.

also about your AA you need to space correctly, and don't forget 1 is a great AA

mekane

Noob
yeah smoke is very annoying. i just stick to SS in that matchup. but a naked SS is always risky because sb is faster than SS (at least in SS's range). he's fast and smoke bomb is never good to trade with, god forbid they know his f4 reset and/or know when to shake. i just play defensively and wait for them to mess up.

also about your AA you need to space correctly, and don't forget 1 is a great AA
can you AA smokes kick with a 1? seems like it is not working well for me