What's new

Executing terribly in real games

I'm not sure if this really belongs here, but I feel like I may have skipped a step in learning to play this game lol. My problem is when I try combos and execution in training, I can do pretty alright, I can land Wasp Cancel combos ~80% of the time (D'vorah main) including some of the tougher cancels like b1 WGC. When I get into a game, I screw everything up royally, and I don't know why, sometimes, I'll just not cancel the wasp, sometimes I'll input TOO fast (f112 WGC will cancel after the f1), I can't get wakeups to work... the list goes on. I suspect it is some version of real game nerves, so I guess what I am looking for is some advice on getting over that hurdle. I've started meeting up with some folks for more frequent offline games, so I'm sure that is a good first step.

Any tips and tricks from others who have graduated to being able to execute effectively in real game situations?

Matix218

Get over here!
I'm not sure if this really belongs here, but I feel like I may have skipped a step in learning to play this game lol. My problem is when I try combos and execution in training, I can do pretty alright, I can land Wasp Cancel combos ~80% of the time (D'vorah main) including some of the tougher cancels like b1 WGC. When I get into a game, I screw everything up royally, and I don't know why, sometimes, I'll just not cancel the wasp, sometimes I'll input TOO fast (f112 WGC will cancel after the f1), I can't get wakeups to work... the list goes on. I suspect it is some version of real game nerves, so I guess what I am looking for is some advice on getting over that hurdle. I've started meeting up with some folks for more frequent offline games, so I'm sure that is a good first step.

Any tips and tricks from others who have graduated to being able to execute effectively in real game situations?
Just get to the point where the execution is muscle memory and you will be fine. You probably get nervous in real matches so it throws off your timing slightly. Practice in ladder against the ai to simulate a live opponent. You will eventually get to the point where you won't even think about the combo and it will be all muscle memory

OK, that makes sense, I did actually try that against very hard ai once but it seemed like that just went old school mk and reacted to everything I was trying perfectly lol. I'll try that against hard ai and see if that helps

E

Eldriken

I'm right there with you, dude. But it's only with Relentless Jason. I do his tick throws and combos just fine in practice, but the fucking second I play a real person, it goes out the window. I just stand there like, "DURRR FRE WYN GUISE" when using him and it drives me nuts. -.-

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Just try to simplify your combos basically narrow it down In a pattern. In actual games I tend to try to rush my inputs. When it comes to canceling In all honesty try to slow down and watch the animation on the moves you can cancel because I tend to run cancel too fast before the animation comes out

Drunken Llama

Some Random
When you practice with the dummy just standing there it is easy to get into a rhythm and get the combos to come out. When you have to do it more sporadically and on demand it can cause you to rush. I would go into practice mode and turn the dummy on (medium, hard, whatever). It will break your rhythm and force you to execute when you need to without having to worry about health bars and rounds interrupting

screw very hard thats hard. id recommend hard, hard is easy. im confused.
Ha - I just mean that on very hard it seems like the AI does a lot of instant reactions that a human wouldn't be able to pull - like in old-school MK games. Almost seemed less productive to play at that difficulty because I never got the chance to practice executing anything because it was always perfectly blocked/punished. Now, this isn't to say that eventually I would be good enough to practice against very hard, but at the moment its like trying to learn to box against Muhammed Ali and he thinks its a title fight :/

Notez4

Noob
Ha - I just mean that on very hard it seems like the AI does a lot of instant reactions that a human wouldn't be able to pull - like in old-school MK games. Almost seemed less productive to play at that difficulty because I never got the chance to practice executing anything because it was always perfectly blocked/punished. Now, this isn't to say that eventually I would be good enough to practice against very hard, but at the moment its like trying to learn to box against Muhammed Ali and he thinks its a title fight :/
yea thats what i was trying to say before my brain exploded. if your gonna practice execution against the ai choose hard.

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
I'm right there with you, dude. But it's only with Relentless Jason. I do his tick throws and combos just fine in practice, but the fucking second I play a real person, it goes out the window. I just stand there like, "DURRR FRE WYN GUISE" when using him and it drives me nuts. -.-
Sorry but, what are tick throws?

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Play the computer on the hardest difficulty in MKX, you'll be so shocked when the computer didn't read your inputs, or read them and messed up that when you do land a combo you'll probably drop it. But to not get your ass handed to you, you'll need that combo...so you'll eventually learn not to drop combos under pressure. lol

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I used to struggle with run cancels for Cassie's midscreen combos like a total noob. I was determined to overcome it by practicing hitting the same combo 10 times in a row before moving on to another one and repeating the process. Now, the combos themselves are second nature, but I need to work on classifying standard BnBs and punishment combos.

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
I used to struggle with run cancels for Cassie's midscreen combos like a total noob. I was determined to overcome it by practicing hitting the same combo 10 times in a row before moving on to another one and repeating the process. Now, the combos themselves are second nature, but I need to work on classifying standard BnBs and punishment combos.
This is what I started doing, almost like a warm-up before I hop online. Now I'm never dropping combos.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Keep practicing in an actual match and just focus purely on getting said combo. You'll probably lose but thats the best way I find.

But I still cant do Wasp cancels for shit so I cant really help you there haha

Audit

Falls down too much
I played for about 3 hours on very hard against Grand Master Sub Zero. It was my Bill and Ted moment for this game. Trust me, you'll lose, and lose, and lose, but you will learn every string of your opponent and every punish for every string while you do it. It will make you a better player. I actually lost the GM SZ fight 86 times before I beat him :( I did that on very hard all the way to Corrupted Shinnok, then the patch came out, kicked me offline and ended the game. I was saltier than any match against a real person.

I'm also a fan of do a combo 10 times in a row method, I just get distracted by saying "Ohh, does that work? Can I do that?"

E

Eldriken

Sorry but, what are tick throws?
An example for Relentless Jason would be f2~dbf2. If they block the f2 (which is a high, so they would have to be standing, otherwise it would whiff), you cancel the blocked f2 into an inescapable command grab.

You can do this with b2, d1 and some other strings. It doesn't work on everything, however.