What's new

Everything is negative on block?

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
I'm having a hard time figuring out anything that is + on block. It seems like basically every normal and special in MKX is either 0 or negative. Some things are way more negative on block than I think they need to be. I think Quan Chi's Trance is like -47 on block? Crazy. The only things that are positive on block that I can see are Liu Kang's D3 which is like +3 or +4, and Johnny's D3 which is +1.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Some low pokes are slight plus. Almost all (if not all) are 0 at best. Even then, finished strings are more negative an average.

As for trance being -47... Pshaw, first world problems, Raiden's b2 is listed as -66 :p

I mean... It's not like MK9 had a lot of plus stuff, huh?

Yep. If it's good its punishable. Fast advacing normals, launchers, specials, overhead/lows all highly punishable. The only things safe are things that you don't want to use

I'm struggling to figure out how I'm supposed to play this game. I've always found the safest strings that launch or plus/safe normals to start pressure or mixup. There are none in this game.

Most characters have a overhead/low mixup now but it's a huge gamble, even if it doesn't lead to damage. This is just your turn my turn all day. There has to be some safe ways to mixup.

I can understand unseeable 50/50s needing to be risk reward but damn, there's all high attack launchers that are like - 15 lol. I think Kabal and batgirl scared NRS to have anything safe or plus

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Play Jacqui -- she has a safe quick overhead and low, and can make strings plus in her High Tech variation by ending with Gauntlet Strike.

But in all seriousness, it's clear that they wanted a more thoughtful level of gameplay in this game. You can't just pressure people constantly with strings that are neutral on block, and you can't easily frametrap everyone for pressure with advantage strings. Nor (in most cases) can you just spam safe armored launchers on block when all else fails.

You've really got to think about everything you're doing and space/time it well -- but imo, that's a positive and something that will reward players who learn more about the game.. As long as they keep the frame data balanced this way across the cast.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Play Jacqui -- she has a safe quick overhead and low, and can make strings plus in her High Tech variation by ending with Gauntlet Strike.

But in all seriousness, it's clear that they wanted a more thoughtful level of gameplay in this game. You can't just pressure people constantly with strings that are neutral on block, and you can't easily frametrap everyone for pressure with advantage strings. Nor (in most cases) can you just spam safe armored launchers on block when all else fails.

You've really got to think about everything you're doing and space/time it well -- but imo, that's a positive and something that will reward players who learn more about the game.. As long as they keep the frame data balanced this way across the cast.
Best MK ever.