What's new

Match Footage - Hat Trick Eddy Wang (Kung Lao) vs Baby Eddy (Sonya) The "we're not ready for evo" FT10 proof battle

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

The argument began a few weeks ago in the last event, we were on a round robin event, i had lost a few times against players i haven't lost in the past 5 years, so in the end of the event i made a statement saying, "as much as some of us are feeling competitive, we're not ready to win evo just yet"

This turned into a controversy debate, and some believed they're more than ready to take on the top dogs, in order to prove them they're yet to face competitive high level matches to a certain extend, i told the entire angolan community, they need to the very least defeat my Hat Trick consistently, cause this variation its not even used overseas, so its a good entry way.

Beiby Edhy (it reads, Baby Eddy) agreed on a FT10 with his covert ops which everyone considers to be stupidly annoying and many ppl in the community can't seem to defeat him, if he could beat me in a FT10 or even to close sets, we would be enough to be competitive at EVO, but not the top spots.

I also failed, because my goal was to win 10-0, which means i'm not ready for a overseas competitive level either, but we will work in order to get there, some are really eager to fly next year for some matches, and are interacting on things needed to go there.

The reason i think we're not ready its not only the current level of our game, but the top 10 variations either no one uses it, or its not being used at the highest level, no one plays Summoner Quan, the predator still has a lot to learn, same can be said about others.

The guy with the biggest dream is Vagney, he watches YOMI all the time and say we're scrubs, he lurks TYM all the time, he wants to think like an american, we're even calling him YOMI Vagney now, he promissed to defeat me next tournament, where he says his characters will be ready.

Vagney came out in 2nd place in Flawless Victory 3 this year losing to my Ninjutsu Scorpion post buff, but then he lost to Beiby Edhy in the Hit Confirm 2 event which was our last double elimination tournament.

Well, i guess i've already said too much, hope you enjoy the video, and of course let your thoughs about the match, an extra set of eyes can be really helpful specially because Edhy, said i'm on a different level, he promissed to analyse every bit of this video, work on his weakness, and expose mine on a run back, but the true goal here is really to level up.

If only we could do the CB after a teleport. I do not notice it when I'm playing as well but watching this showed it to me more Obviously. Good set though.

Im going to be honest here, this set was so boring that i didnt even watch halfway through. This is not a criticism to eddy wang(big fan of your work btw) or baby eddy, but to nrs' design team. Hat trick kung lao is both boring to play and watch because he is an incomplete character. He gets a mere 27% from converting off a callback and his hat is as much as a weight as it is a tool. He should have more specials relating to his traps, unique non-hat strings (like how liu kang has random unique strings in flamefist) that dont suck, be able to spin without hat, be able to b2,2 without hat, and be rewarded for more damage off call back.

Meanwhile sonya is the most linear flowcharty character with only 2 strings.
Watching an incomplete character vs 50/50s galore is a snooze, however impressive your play may be. Just my 2 cents

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Im going to be honest here, this set was so boring that i didnt even watch halfway through. This is not a criticism to eddy wang(big fan of your work btw) or baby eddy, but to nrs' design team. Hat trick kung lao is both boring to play and watch because he is an incomplete character. He gets a mere 27% from converting off a callback and his hat is as much as a weight as it is a tool. He should have more specials relating to his traps, unique non-hat strings (like how liu kang has random unique strings in flamefist) that dont suck, be able to spin without hat, be able to b2,2 without hat, and be rewarded for more damage off call back.

Watching an incomplete character vs 50/50s galore is a snooze, however impressive your play may be. Just my 2 cents
Haha, you got your point man, i definitely agree that Hat Trick feels incomplete right now, hopefully colt is aware, let us see what they will give it to him.

Wetdoba

All too easy...

"only" 27% of a great space control tool with no hurtbox on it he can use while jumping that can be called back as a low too? Hat trick still has great footsie strings, still has divekick, still has teleport with multiple options out of it, still has EX spin which breaks armor and is an advancing 6 frame punish, still has jump 2, and also gets the EX hat toss for big damage. how is this an incomplete character? What could he possibly need I dont get it.

Also not sure how its uninteresting to watch hat trick over shit like tempest or kobu lol

"only" 27% of a great space control tool with no hurtbox on it he can use while jumping that can be called back as a low too? Hat trick still has great footsie strings, still has divekick, still has teleport with multiple options out of it, still has EX spin which breaks armor and is an advancing 6 frame punish, still has jump 2, and also gets the EX hat toss for big damage. how is this an incomplete character? What could he possibly need I dont get it.

Also not sure how its uninteresting to watch hat trick over shit like tempest or kobu lol
27% maximum if the opponent is close enough to connect after hcb. Having the hat out takes a lot of his space control out as well like b22 and ex spin. If this type of space control was that good, youd see people playing hat trick, master of storms, kenshi etc. You talk about his variationless tools being so strong, which is true execpt they are weakened when the hat is off. Ex spin? Cant do it. Jump 2? Goodbye crazy range.ex hat toss? Cant do it. Divekick? Cant convert off of it unless hat is in that perfect spot. This variation takes away more than it gives, and thus is incomplete. If youre just going to use hcb immediately all the time for frames and to keep all your good options available, well tempest has orbiting hat and buzzsaw has low hat for that, plus even more. I never said this was better to watch over tempest and kobu, however by those examples it seems you just rather watch low tiers than top tiers, which is fine

Wetdoba

All too easy...
27% maximum if the opponent is close enough to connect after hcb. Having the hat out takes a lot of his space control out as well like b22 and ex spin. If this type of space control was that good, youd see people playing hat trick, master of storms, kenshi etc. You talk about his variationless tools being so strong, which is true execpt they are weakened when the hat is off. Ex spin? Cant do it. Jump 2? Goodbye crazy range.ex hat toss? Cant do it. Divekick? Cant convert off of it unless hat is in that perfect spot. This variation takes away more than it gives, and thus is incomplete. If youre just going to use hcb immediately all the time for frames and to keep all your good options available, well tempest has orbiting hat and buzzsaw has low hat for that, plus even more. I never said this was better to watch over tempest and kobu, however by those examples it seems you just rather watch low tiers than top tiers, which is fine
I mean I play Ferra Torr, yes I have NJP and a long reaching command grab and all these other options but when I throw Ferra that all goes away too, doesnt mean I act like those tools arent still an option, that's on me to manage Ferra and make sure I have those moves available when I need them, just like its on the Lao player to manage his hat. The stance is all about managing hat abilities, nothing wrong with that, but thats exactly why people dont play it, it takes effort, and lets face it, people want to play easy mode top tier characters to win. Thats why Kobu, Tempest, Quan and the likes are seen everywhere, because they are easy and effective. Hat trick has everything he needs to be effective, its just not easy. Thats why characters like Jax are widely regarded as very strong top tier characters even though there is very little representation in terms of people playing them, he's not easy mode, but does that mean Jax needs buffs? Fuck no

BTW Eddy I think your Hat Trick looks good, Hat trick is 10000x times more interesting to watch than Tempest

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Your Hat Trick is impressive, but this Sonya was a bit cringeworthy. I felt uncomfortable when he kept eating EX spin repeatedly after MS, instead of baiting it to cancel, block and punish it. Not to mention that dive kick is super punishable when landed above the opponent's knee. I felt pain. lol

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
The real problem is that Hat Trick gets what Tempest gets and often less, but only after a setup. Tempest is still just OP IMO.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Your Hat Trick is impressive, but this Sonya was a bit cringeworthy. I felt uncomfortable when he kept eating EX spin repeatedly after MS, instead of baiting it to cancel, block and punish it. Not to mention that dive kick is super punishable when landed above the opponent's knee. I felt pain. lol
That is what i've been telling him. I had figured him out by the time, it appears he is used to play opponents who prefer trying to block the mixup out of MS most of the time, since its a 50-50 galore, he tends to be successful most of the time, but not against me, the reason why i'm considered the best around my country, its because i have a sort of 6th sense, i can sense when ppl adjust.

Baby Edhy is not used to play much without risks, considering he still has to dominate a lot in the neutral game, without the 50-50 pressure which i took it out of the way on the first matches, he felt much harder to get his game going.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
That is what i've been telling him. I had figured him out by the time, it appears he is used to play opponents who prefer trying to block the mixup out of MS most of the time, since its a 50-50 galore, he tends to be successful most of the time, but not against me, the reason why i'm considered the best around my country, its because i have a sort of 6th sense, i can sense when ppl adjust.

Baby Edhy is not used to play much without risks, considering he still has to dominate a lot in the neutral game, without the 50-50 pressure which i took it out of the way on the first matches, he felt much harder to get his game going.
Exactly. Knowing how to cancel the MS is really important because it becomes a guess for the opponent whether to armor through it or not. He could've abused the hell out of it against you.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I'm sure you don't need anyone to tell you, but fundamentally you're one hell of a solid player. I don't think I've seen anyone backdash and punish Sonya's B14 as much as you did during that set. Sonya's typically a gimmicky hard to block character, but you made her look like she had no mixups.

Solid play man and I loved the story behind it. Despite what people say, I think Hat Trick is dope to watch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Eddy you are the Sensei and master of hat trick, you would be a problem in the West as well I guarantee it

What is your country btw?
I'm from Angola, a country located in the African continent, we were colonized by portuguese, so we have portuguese as main language and 18 ancient native languages, although i don't speak or understand any of the native ones, i speak 2 more foreign languages (English, and Spanish)

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I'm from Angola, a country located in the African continent, we were colonized by portuguese, so we have portuguese as main language and 18 ancient native languages, although i don't speak or understand any of the native ones, i speak 2 more foreign languages (English, and Spanish)
Falamos português e somos fodas

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
You know, Eddy, the Ghanaian community is pretty big. It'll be really exciting to find a way to connect. We're all high level here and I believe we could really give you a run for your money. We're pretty diverse too, combined we play about 80% of all variations. I'm Abdallah (Tanya main but switching to Lao because everyone is cursing me for using a 'broken' character).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You know, Eddy, the Ghanaian community is pretty big. It'll be really exciting to find a way to connect. We're all high level here and I believe we could really give you a run for your money. We're pretty diverse too, combined we play about 80% of all variations. I'm Abdallah (Tanya main but switching to Lao because everyone is cursing me for using a 'broken' character).
There is a twitter post a few months back, where i said Ghana is ahead of the competition in the African continent, you guys are far more advanced than us in this aspect.

For example, you guys play 80% of all variations, we don't, top dogs from MK9 are not all top dogs in MKX, some prominent MK9 players are not even playing MKX, and we have a butt load of new players which i still need to find time to educate them all.

@DarkSlayerSmith @solidsnake @Xmeek @Bruno janota are the very few who drops on TYM, but they don't check as regular as Vagney who doesn't even has an account here, i'm already part of TYM and the NRS community ever since mk9, so i don't count.

Long Story short, it would be really nice to have facing you guys on a tournament held either by you guys in Ghana, or in here by us, we need to find a way to get this #KombatAfrika movement going, Africa needs to create an inter-continental tournament or something, a thing we all the african competitive community can join in and compete for the weekend once a year, we would exchange far more experiences, we would grow as players, only then i think the doors to EVO will open.

#KombatAfrika currently is:
Angola
Ghana
Zimbabwe
South Africa

I'm not aware if any other countries in Africa are playing MKX, could be and we don't even know
can't we just find a way to travel over our countries for a yearly tournament?

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
Nigeria also plays, some of our guys recently participated in a tournament that was held over there. We took 1st, 2nd, 3rd. They play a lot of sf and mk9 and hadn't really upped their mkx so the results weren't too surprising. We need to build on this however, and try to have at the very least representatives of each of the countries you mentioned in one tournement.

LavaG

Representing Gamers Republic GH
Yh
There is a twitter post a few months back, where i said Ghana is ahead of the competition in the African continent, you guys are far more advanced than us in this aspect.

For example, you guys play 80% of all variations, we don't, top dogs from MK9 are not all top dogs in MKX, some prominent MK9 players are not even playing MKX, and we have a butt load of new players which i still need to find time to educate them all.

@DarkSlayerSmith @solidsnake @Xmeek @Bruno janota are the very few who drops on TYM, but they don't check as regular as Vagney who doesn't even has an account here, i'm already part of TYM and the NRS community ever since mk9, so i don't count.

Long Story short, it would be really nice to have facing you guys on a tournament held either by you guys in Ghana, or in here by us, we need to find a way to get this #KombatAfrika movement going, Africa needs to create an inter-continental tournament or something, a thing we all the african competitive community can join in and compete for the weekend once a year, we would exchange far more experiences, we would grow as players, only then i think the doors to EVO will open.

#KombatAfrika currently is:
Angola
Ghana
Zimbabwe
South Africa

I'm not aware if any other countries in Africa are playing MKX, could be and we don't even know
can't we just find a way to travel over our countries for a yearly tournament?
Yep ,great idea.we should be able to work something out

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
How is Ghana's tournament schedule?
How long it lasts a Ghana Tournament? A single day? 3 days?

How many pools?

I'm asking cause next year, we can schedule to go depending on the hotel booking and flight costs.

LavaG

Representing Gamers Republic GH
We have two majors in a year, July and December. Not too many numbers but we had about 32 participants last July. Nigeria claim they have a big tournament in December every year, they call it Naija Evo , we will be attending with our best players . Interest for MKX has grown in Nigeria since @mVp_Ryon ,myself and @SelasieBrown took 1st,2nd and 3rd in a Tech plus event in July as manticore already mentioned.We just need to plan something together, it shouldn't be too diffcult.