What's new

Dudes, this patch is actually... pretty good

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Patch pretty neat.

I understand why people are frustrated.

However honestly MK11 is MK11, this is just what it is.
They are not going to drastically change everything up in a patch..

We just had a crazy game in MKX, and it was wonderful, NRS wanted to try something different, and they for the most part did a great job.

Every MK game is pretty different, I expect 12 to be a completely new game, and a lot of MK11 fans are going to be upset with how it turns out.

At some point you just kinda have to accept the game isn't for you and just take a break and come back for 12, or Injustice I guess if you hate yourself.

I dig that they change things around so much, but it definitely does create a very splintered and un happy community.

The universal changes are a step in the right direction, but after months of nothing, and then them hyping up the amount of changes in the Kast, this is... enh.

Useless moves are still useless, best moves are still the best, so there's little difference in people's custom builds.

And oh yeah, Liu is now stronger than before. Because there needs to be a clear S tier of people.

Last edited:

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I was optimistic for this patch but everything still feels the exact same. Technically the meta is better than it was before but if I didn't know about any of these changes beforehand, then I would still think I was playing the same game. 4 frame buffer isn't enough to shake the constant feeling of unresponsiveness. I won't ramble about my grievances because it's apparent a lot of people like this game and it's just not for me. Thanks for trying Paulo, see you guys for MK12.

Moves which are weak or have absolutely no reason to be picked:

Shang- inferno skull, soul well
Shao- spear charge, 94f taunts
Frost- core overload, arctic barrage, glacier calving
I don’t even want to list all of Nightwolf’s
Johnny- say cheese, caged rage
Sonya- krushing kounters, summon kat turret
Cassie- control BLB-118
Jax- buckshot, lethal clap, burning hammer, ground shatter
Scorpion’s - hell flame, demon dash, misery blade (also his death spear combo still requires death spin...why??)
Noob- ghostball, sickle toss, shadow dive
Baraka- war banner moves
Raiden- jo push, lightning rod
Sub Zero- cold shoulder
Liu- nunchaku stance
Kitana- dancing fans, edenian fade
Kung Lao- vortex
Skarlet- blood ritual
Kollector- chakram, up mace
D’vorah- super swarm, ticking time bug, bombardier beetle, flippin out
Fujin- air parry

+ Sub’s ground ice and Skarlet’s killer clot were banned but could definitely have been balanced instead.

The moves in bold just straight up replace a universal move that is far better. You’d be totally confused by these moves if Ultimate was your first experience with MK11. Like you’re customizing sub-zero and you realize, ‘wait, cold shoulder just...replaces a better move, tf?’. I fully expected NRS to think about that.

This is what has me disappointed with the patch. Though I do love the system changes, it’s hard to get past the fact that kustoms were so hyped up in the kombat kast, with buffs for weak kustom moves being implied by the showcase of Raiden’s Superbolt buffs, yet dozens of glaring trash fire moves remain totally untouched. Johnny’s “pissed off” receiving an armor breaking property is the kind of attention I was expecting for at least some of them. :/

Last edited:

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I think it's crazy anyone thinks this patch was anything but a lazy attempt to goad money out of customers.

The poke change is ridiculous because we already went through this with MKX. Why did they have to learn the same lesson TWO GAMES IN A ROW?

The lack of attention paid to balancing both moves and characters as a whole is insulting.

Top players are already saying they're bored, disappointed, or would rather play other games.

This game is just so lazy man. Every facet of it.

trufenix

bye felicia
I think it's crazy anyone thinks this patch was anything but a lazy attempt to goad money out of customers.

The poke change is ridiculous because we already went through this with MKX. Why did they have to learn the same lesson TWO GAMES IN A ROW?

The lack of attention paid to balancing both moves and characters as a whole is insulting.

Top players are already saying they're bored, disappointed, or would rather play other games.

This game is just so lazy man. Every facet of it.
Still here, huh? Nothing else to do? None of those other way better games pan out for you yet?

Wigy

There it is...
It's crazy to think this is how the infamous mk9 one last patch or UMK3 remake would have been recieved. WHAT!? They didn't change fucking everything? Why did they even bother!
That was 10 years ago mate you were lucky if the developers even patched anything more than once or twice.

Gaxkang

Banned
I was optimistic for this patch but everything still feels the exact same. Technically the meta is better than it was before but if I didn't know about any of these changes beforehand, then I would still think I was playing the same game. 4 frame buffer isn't enough to shake the constant feeling of unresponsiveness. I won't ramble about my grievances because it's apparent a lot of people like this game and it's just not for me. Thanks for trying Paulo, see you guys for MK12.
Well yeah, it basically still is.

I'd say it still favors offense up the yin yang, and the wonky hitboxes/hurtboxes hold it back still. Punishment game needs tuning to avoid mashfest. Same for the philosophy behind the frames and safeness and reliance on sweet advancing strings. Oh the stuff people wouldn't get away with if some kind of crossup existed instead of sailing over them into infinity.

The poke game...I haven't noticed something dramatic yet. I feel like throws feel a bit different, so d1 throw doesn't work quite like it did. So people will block most of the time so jailing won't happen anyways. So attacker will sometimes try a throw, and sometimes the other person will mash D2/combo.
It's nice if someone presses a button and you do jail...but most folks will block.

Dominating and winning still revolves around the same things as before. And I still say online influences stuff...I ran into a 2nd Shao Kahn recently who was conditioned to poke after a blocked sweep, which is not supposed to work.

What?

No it wasn't! What are you even talking about?
“Sold as”. It was hyped up on the kombat kast as the biggest and most meta-shifting patch in MK history. Buffs to one of Raiden’s moves were shown and more balance changes were promised for kustom moves across the roster. Are you really going to argue that no one explicitly said kustoms were going to be viable? Whoops, you’re right, guess I just assumed.

Tell you what, that language is a little confusing, I’ll change it for you.

Last edited:
What changed that made him so good now?
They gave the option to use these customs:

• enhanced ice ball
  • creeping ice
  • slide
if you want a ridiculous damage (the custom above already has good damage), take this:

• enhanced ice ball
  • combo extender (dont know the name)
  • slide
Now he is safe on everything, does good damage, you cant zone him, he has slide which is a way better move than could shoulder.
They allowed overhead + enhanced ice ball + creeping ice + slide, in the same custom. I really think they turned on the "fuck off" button and lets see what happens.

I swear my inputs have more lag now or something, and random inputs of mine keep getting swallowed and just don't come out, and timing for things seems way tighter, like I have to press everything way earlier. Has anyone ever experienced a change in input lag or something after a big update like this?

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Well yeah, it basically still is.

I'd say it still favors offense up the yin yang, and the wonky hitboxes/hurtboxes hold it back still. Punishment game needs tuning to avoid mashfest. Same for the philosophy behind the frames and safeness and reliance on sweet advancing strings. Oh the stuff people wouldn't get away with if some kind of crossup existed instead of sailing over them into infinity.

The poke game...I haven't noticed something dramatic yet. I feel like throws feel a bit different, so d1 throw doesn't work quite like it did. So people will block most of the time so jailing won't happen anyways. So attacker will sometimes try a throw, and sometimes the other person will mash D2/combo.
It's nice if someone presses a button and you do jail...but most folks will block.

Dominating and winning still revolves around the same things as before. And I still say online influences stuff...I ran into a 2nd Shao Kahn recently who was conditioned to poke after a blocked sweep, which is not supposed to work.
@scrubquotes

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Shang- inferno skull, screaming soul, soul well, scatter souls
Cassie- control BLB-118
Jax- buckshot, lethal clap, briggs barricade, burning hammer, ground shatter
Scorpion’s - hell flame, demon breath, demon dash, misery blade (also his death spear combo still requires death spin...why??)
Baraka- war banner moves
Sub Zero- cold shoulder
Liu- nunchaku stance
Kung Lao- vortex
Skarlet- blood ritual
D’vorah- super swarm, fly by, ticking time bug, bombardier beetle, flippin out
Fujin- air parry

+ Sub’s ground ice and Skarlet’s killer clot were banned but could definitely have been balanced instead.

The moves in bold just straight up replace a universal move that is far better. You’d be totally confused by these moves if Ultimate was your first experience with MK11. Like you’re customizing sub-zero and you realize, ‘wait, cold shoulder just...replaces a better move, tf?’. I fully expected NRS to think about that.

This is what has me disappointed with the patch. Though I do love the system changes, it’s hard to get past the fact that kustoms were so hyped up in the kombat kast, with buffs for weak kustom moves being implied by the showcase of Raiden’s Superbolt buffs, yet dozens of glaring trash fire moves remain totally untouched. Johnny’s “pissed off” receiving an armor breaking property is the kind of attention I was expecting for at least some of them. :/
Screaming Soul is a good move, why do you think it's bad? I don't disagree with your point but you have a lot of useful moves on there

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero

Shang- inferno skull, screaming soul, soul well, scatter souls
Cassie- control BLB-118
Jax- buckshot, lethal clap, briggs barricade, burning hammer, ground shatter
Scorpion’s - hell flame, demon breath, demon dash, misery blade (also his death spear combo still requires death spin...why??)
Baraka- war banner moves
Sub Zero- cold shoulder
Liu- nunchaku stance
Kung Lao- vortex
Skarlet- blood ritual
D’vorah- super swarm, fly by, ticking time bug, bombardier beetle, flippin out
Fujin- air parry

I respect this take because my 2 main characters have a slew of worthless, worthless moves, and far less total slot moves than other chars like Kitana, for instance.