What's new

Drawing the Line on Being Cheap

tl;dr: I believe there is no such thing as being cheap during competitive play (such as tournaments), and that being cheap is only possible when playing casually.

Prologue: I decided to write this after hearing for the thousandth time "Wow, he's just being hella cheap" from a tournament commentator. I hear it so many times from players when it shouldn't be used. I feel like it's a very negative word that can make your hateful feelings stronger (I know, touchy-feely, Jedi crap, whatever) and that it is almost always used inappropriately.

Many throw the word "cheap" around without knowing what being "cheap" really is. To me, if you're playing in any sort of serious match whether it's at a tournament or online, there is absolutely no such thing as being cheap. Everyone has a fair chance and if your opponent keeps spamming projectiles, using the same combos, or turtling and running away, it is your job to find a way around it. Competition is supposed to decide who at the current time is the better player. If you can't defeat somebody because they keep doing the same simple thing over and over again, I'm sorry, but he/she is the better player at that time. Again, in my opinion, there is no such thing as being cheap in any tournament or competitive or practice match.

I believe that being cheap is only possible in casual play. The sole purpose of casual play is not to win, but to have fun. If you're playing casually against someone at your level or higher doing things like spamming, using the same simple moves, or anything else that may be considered cheap, it probably isn't really cheap. If your opponent begins to complain and say he's not having fun the way you keep spamming Sheeva's down up, it's best if you stop — it is casual play after all. On the other hand, if you're playing with friends who aren't as good as you, friends who don't know combos over four hits, friends who don't know that you can cancel a dash by blocking, friends who don't know how to use Xrays or how to use EX specials, and you keep doing things like spamming, that is being very cheap. Even if you're playing how you normally would in a tournament or any serious match, it's still being very cheap under these circumstances. It's just casual play with people who aren't even good at the game; everyone just wants to have fun. If you're stopping the fun in any way, you're being an airhead, you're being cheap, you're not being very sportsmanlike, and you're setting a bad example for the fighting game community. Now, if you decide to bust it all out and impress all your friends by playing your best for a round or two, that's fine in most cases. Your friends will be shocked, they will all have some good laughs, and you're demonstrating the possibilities in the game. This is not being cheap because it has a very beneficial purpose — and who knows, maybe it can inspire some of your friends to get much better at the game. :)

It's very important to have good intentions during a game. Be respectful to your opponents, be modest, be humble, be helpful, be open, even in tournament play. Not only will it help you keep your cool, but it will reflect nicely upon everyone, and set a better example for the fighting game community.

Thank you for tolerating my 2 AM, comma-infested rant. If you disagree with me on anything, please, I encourage you to comment telling me why, and please be nice about it. If you would like to add anything, please do! Even if you want to tear my posts to shreds, if you do it politely, I'll love it and seriously appreciate it. :D

Impose

A Call For Blood
The word "cheap" in video games generally refers to things that people either
A) Don't understand
or B) is generally impossibly hard to counter when played correctly

Kenshi is considered cheap because you have to play flawlessly in order to get in his face, then if you make one mistake you're back at full screen with 30% less health.

Another thing is Vega players in the older street fighters. Much like Scorpions vortex Vega would do wall jump into drop crossup. You had to guess which side he was doing, if you guessed wrong you were knocked down and lost another 18% or so health.

It is of my opinion that nothing outside of abuse of overpowered mechanics are cheap. Considering that usually only happens in early patches of games before fine tuning is done.
With that said all kabal players need to go die in a fire :) <3

Im sure Pig Of The Hut could expand on "cheapness" since I'm pretty sure he receives endless complaints about Kenshi

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I personally believe that the goal of fighting games is to be as cheap as possible, whatever gives you the best chance possible. I would be playing kabal, but I am really bad with him so I play Sonya. The goal of casual play is to experiment to find more cheap stuff. The only time I'm not going to be focusing on cheap stuff is if my opponent has no idea what they are doing, but that's very rare for me.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Cheap in video games is an extremely good thing. It means you found something a game allows you to do and are using it in a way that is extremely tough for the opponent to overcome.

Broken, on the other hand is an extremely bad thing. It means you are exploiting some sort of unintended feature within the game that can not be overcome by your opponent.

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
I think resets are cheap. That is the only thing about this game that I have a real problem with. I understand it is in the game, and therefor should be utilized, but it doesnt change the fact that it gives a massive advantage to the player using them. I just think its a bit cowardly to use them as it doesnt really showcase any true ability or skill outside of that one particular setup/combo.

Why do you suppose people get so hype when a Rain player wins?

God I love me some rain

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Cyrax is the king of cheap. Just saying and not complaining. If you think any characters is cheap and is winning only because of it's cheapness than why not pick him up yourself and dominate. But seriously Cyrax is one cheapskate.

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
Cyrax is the king of cheap. Just saying and not complaining. If you think any characters is cheap and is winning only because of it's cheapness than why not pick him up yourself and dominate. But seriously Cyrax is one cheapskate.
thats a good point. My only reasoning is that I dont play this game to win necessarily. I just enjoy playing this game, winning is only a bonus. That being said, I dont really find it all that fun to get bodied all round and then land a net for a win. The fun for me comes in good competition and close matches.

It is of my opinion that nothing outside of abuse of overpowered mechanics are cheap. Considering that usually only happens in early patches of games before fine tuning is done.
I think your definition has a lot of merit, and I definitely think the same way in many cases. In my experience the only people who consider things they don't understand to be cheap are people who just started playing the game, or people who are just not very good or put no effort into understanding various aspects of the game. If something is very hard to counter, I think all it will take is a lot of practice to get over it. The great thing about playing against "cheap" people is that many of them aren't used to going outside their comfort zone, and once you get them out of there you have the match in the bag. That's where mixups come in, which people generally believe reflects true skill, which I feel in most cases it does.

The only time I'm not going to be focusing on cheap stuff is if my opponent has no idea what they are doing, but that's very rare for me.
Like I stated earlier, being cheap can be good, but it's good not to rely on it completely. Mixups go long way :)

Cheap in video games is an extremely good thing. It means you found something a game allows you to do and are using it in a way that is extremely tough for the opponent to overcome.

Broken, on the other hand is an extremely bad thing. It means you are exploiting some sort of unintended feature within the game that can not be overcome by your opponent.
I agree with this. I'm glad you posted it :)

Cheap is a word used by those who can't win or succeed

It's purely a losers mentality
I think so as well; especially in any form of competitive play.

Cyrax is the king of cheap. Just saying and not complaining.
Wow, that was a very rational thing to say. To acknowledge something for what it is and not be bothered by it that much. Very nice.

I just enjoy playing this game, winning is only a bonus. That being said, I dont really find it all that fun to get bodied all round and then land a net for a win. The fun for me comes in good competition and close matches.
Same here :). I get SO excited when someone beats me in an amazing way, or finds a very clever way to get around something I'm doing, or uses simple tactics to catch me off guard. It's so beautiful, which is one of the reasons I have a passion for these games.

MK9 has a lot of cheap shit lol
I'm pretty sure almost every game whether it be a fighting game or not has a lot of cheap stuff. :)

Only try to realize the truth....there is no cheap.
I think this is very true in any form of competitive play. If you read the entire thread, specifically the fourth paragraph, I give a couple examples of situations I consider to be cheap. They could be many other things in addition to cheap (I believe I use three or four adjectives), but I think if you're going to call something cheap, that would be it. You guys are all pretty competitive here, aren't you? :p

Yes, cheap does exist. Things can totally be cheap even in competitive play. Doesn't mean it should be banned though.
You know, I really respect that opinion and think it's a very good point. If you don't mind, I'd like to expand on it. Perhaps cheap can exist in competitive play, BUT it's not a bad thing. You can certainly be cheap because you and your opponent have a right, but it's your job to get around your opponents cheapness. Lazily written, but I think I like this. I'll have to reflect on it a bit more, but for now, my feelings tell me that it's a decent way to sum it up. What do you think?