What's new

Does any1 here train MMA/Combat Sports?

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
Was always curious how serious players of this genre of games think of MMA and combat sports in general and if some train it.

If you do train it/one, do you feel like playing and training elevate the games of one another?

Do they each in different ways work your reflexes, reactions, resets (reacting to a fake), tendency/ability to link/string things together...etc in ways where they improve that aspect in the other arena?

For those that don train r u interested to down the road? R u fan?

Just curious.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't train in MMA but I do want to get into Martial Arts again in general, when I was a kid they had some classes at summer camps etc, fun stuff plus it teaches you some good things. I just wish you could choose which styles you want to learn instead of a default program these days unless you're loaded of course lol.

Speaking of MMA there's a new game coming out that's almost as brutal as MK, not quite that brutal lol but broken bones, busted up faces etc that's like oldschool MMA before all the newer rules etc

VIDA

Well if you're willing dish out something like 100 a mth (the std now a days) you can join a decent mma gym and stick to w/e art u want that they teach.

Wanna learn muay Thai or boxing? Just stick to those classes. Personally I only started the standup striking 4 mths ago after doing straight grappling for almost 4 straight yrs.

100/mth doesn't HAVE to be too bad if they don't have some ridiculous commitment requirements. But as for tma stuff can't say I kno too well.

VIDA

As for back in the day yeah there were less rules but you could still tap and no gloves made it harder for fighters to put power into their punches. Speaking of mma in vgs, there is a wayto make a fg that entails mma with fantasy and mysticism laced meaningfully in.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
That's how the new game is going to be, they wanted to keep it oldschool where there were more controversial hits allowed. I think the name of the game is MMA:Surpremacy or something, forget the exact name it was in my last months GamePro.

But yeah, thanks for the tip. Didn't even know there were MMA schools, thought it was just individual like "karate, judo, jit" this school teaches, another Kung Fu, Bushido etc

Damn 100 bucks a month? That's definitely out of my budget right now lol. I'd pay 100 bucks for 5 months, but not one. I guess I'd have to research it.

VIDA

Some gyms are good for pricing, especially small team gums that rent out units. Just that 100 is the norm. If you were here on Toronto I could def suggest some nice priced deals. Dont know how it is where u are but you can def check around. Just don't expect anything less than 70/mth plus tax.

I used to train Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling. Broke my shoulder a couple of years ago and haven't done much since. Getting back in shape and will probably start up again in the winter.

JrK

Probably Drunk
I train. Usually just my one arm, but I train! I kid, I don't have the time between work and family life or else I would LOVE to. :<

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
I train doesn't help in MK at all lol. I have my Blue belt in BJJ and have trained MuayThai, HapKido and Capoeira. I don't fight professionally or anything its just something to stay in shape and have fun. I am also a fan. I do see reaction time and thought processes that are similar however in both gaming and MMA.

I wish i could react in game like i can in MMA its way different reaction

VIDA

I train doesn't help in MK at all lol. I have my Blue belt in BJJ and have trained MuayThai, HapKido and Capoeira. I don't fight professionally or anything its just something to stay in shape and have fun. I am also a fan. I do see reaction time and thought processes that are similar however in both gaming and MMA.

I wish i could react in game like i can in MMA its way different reaction
Cool I got my blue belt 3 years ago and stopped doing gi a while ago. Where do you train, who is the blue belt under?

As for reaction time and what not Idk I just feel like reaction time and linking rhythms in any sort of combat medium is very relatable at least on a fundamental/foundational level. I understand with bjj its more extended periods of feeling out (literally lol) and technical processes rather than the "momentum oriented" rhythyms of wrestling and muay thai, but even bjj and any form of ground grappling entails "moments" and lots of things are "strings" that involve staying safe or evaluating risk/reward processes while going for stuff.

At the end of the day both require analysis, establishing rhytyms, calculated activity, and just imposing oneself technically and soundly.

VIDA

I used to train Jiu Jitsu and Wrestling. Broke my shoulder a couple of years ago and haven't done much since. Getting back in shape and will probably start up again in the winter.
Sucks to hear about the shoulder. My right shoulder every now and then will act up, I slightly injured it twice in the last week. :eek:

Good thing we have a long weekend going on here in Canada, so I can force myself to take time off lol.

Where did u use to train?

VIDA

Btw I dont mean to pry any of you with asking where you train, just a common thing I ask ppl who train, if just in case you feel uncomfortable answering dont worry. :p

Eight

I am the salt
I used to box, but my gym fired my favorite trainer, I stopped going there in protest, so now I've kinda fallen into disrepair.

Kinda sucks :p.

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
Cool I got my blue belt 3 years ago and stopped doing gi a while ago. Where do you train, who is the blue belt under?

As for reaction time and what not Idk I just feel like reaction time and linking rhythms in any sort of combat medium is very relatable at least on a fundamental/foundational level. I understand with bjj its more extended periods of feeling out (literally lol) and technical processes rather than the "momentum oriented" rhythyms of wrestling and muay thai, but even bjj and any form of ground grappling entails "moments" and lots of things are "strings" that involve staying safe or evaluating risk/reward processes while going for stuff.

At the end of the day both require analysis, establishing rhytyms, calculated activity, and just imposing oneself technically and soundly.
i agree with the reactions being part of your mental moments but my reaction in my fingers is not the same as my fists or feet, or even my legs and arms in Jiu Jitsu. It may be due to the fact i have some limited mobility in my right hand from fighting. Anyway i can react in fighting with pure muscle memory where my gaming reactions have more brain power to them. (not that BJJ reaction don't have brain power they jusst make the muscles move instantly i.e. if im about to be put in a traingle my body instinctively puts my knee in the opponents chest and puts my hands on the open leg and i stand.) There are similarities but the differences are big at least for me.

Btw my belt is under Pedro Carvalho who i train with now. im working toward Purple but had some medical issues stall everything. I also trained out at Legends with Eddie Bravo (the dude is crazy on the mat) i met him while at 10th planet i know one of the Trainers there his dad is a good friend of the family. (feel like im name dropping but this is the luck of living in Southern California.

VIDA

Cool you gotta to train with Eddie was Rogan there lol. Eddie's done seminars up here in Ontario but I never wanna dish the extra doh. He must be pretty pissed right now about Royler's bs with the adcc fight. After years of eddie being called a dodger they finally have the fight together and Royler asks 50 to show? W/e, better I dont get started lol.

And I know exactly what you mean about muscle memory in grappling after doing it for at least a year. I guess I just meant that Mk and other games of genre help to exrecise the more mental aspects of reaction, linking and "muscle memory" so that it heightens all of that in MMA that much more. And SoCal is def a hotspot for MMA training. I like to think we got a good scene going and improving here in Toronto. :)

CaliJokerstyle

Dies A Lot
Yeh Toronto is def a great spot. Yeh it was cool to meet Eddie he is a very chill guy. I actually get more help from playing FPS's i react faster and my hand eye is way increased my sparring partners always know when i had Halo night or was play MAG or CS. They tell me i hit faster and am more fluid. Gaming definitley helps any sport.

I think I got MK1 for my Snes about the same time my parents had bought me a punching bag. Might have been 15 years now, but always been a fan of fighting game and boxing and competition in general. I remember also a guy I knew from school giving me the tape of UFC 1 for half a day hehe. Pretty cool my parents let me watch it.Now i find it pretty fun what you can learn about MMA just by going online or watching events . And then have good time practicing some of the wrestling/bjj with friend .I did really hurt my girlfriend's back though trying a takedown. felt bad about it or a month, also had to give her to many back massage , so she might have faked it ;). Won't atempt takedown anytime soon

Sucks to hear about the shoulder. My right shoulder every now and then will act up, I slightly injured it twice in the last week. :eek:

Good thing we have a long weekend going on here in Canada, so I can force myself to take time off lol.

Where did u use to train?
A long time friend and ex roommate is a brown belt and teacher under Relson at the school here in Columbus, and my brother was a four year wrestler in Division 2 and coaches high school now.

I've gone to the Gracie gym as well as open mats at the high school and another wrestling club we have here but I don't belong to a school as a member.

I wrestled in school, but when I do it now it's just for fun and exercise. It is fun though, I enjoy it.