What's new

Does age have any weight in the equation? (fighting games)

Does age have any weight in the equation

• if both players are betwen 12 to 40 age is neutral

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • if 1 player is 12-16 and the other player is 17-40 the youger player is at disadvantage

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • if 1 player is 12-16 and the other player is 17-40 the yourger player is at advantage

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • if 1 player is 12-40 and the other player is 41 or older the younger player is at advantage

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • if both player are 17 or older age is always neutral

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • age is always neutral between two players

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Age does play a major part, but the choices in the poll aren't adequate (with choice #4 being the closest to accurate). According to a major study of pro Starcraft 2 players, decline starts at age 24, meaning any player age 24 or younger would have a growing advantage against players older than 24. However, I'm not sure how severely this decline would affect fighting game performance, since it's based on Starcraft APM (actions per minute). You can read the in-depth study at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0094215, or read an abridged version at http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/age-related-brain-decline-starts-at-24-1.2611257.

"If you're 39, competing against a 24-year-old and you're both in the otherwise same level of skill," Thompson said, "the effect of age is expected to offset a great deal of your learning."

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Age does play a major part, but the choices in the poll aren't adequate (with choice #4 being the closest to accurate). According to a major study of pro Starcraft 2 players, decline starts at age 24, meaning any player age 24 or younger would have a growing advantage against players older than 24. However, I'm not sure how severely this decline would affect fighting game performance, since it's based on Starcraft APM (actions per minute). You can read the in-depth study at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0094215, or read an abridged version at http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/age-related-brain-decline-starts-at-24-1.2611257.

"If you're 39, competing against a 24-year-old and you're both in the otherwise same level of skill," Thompson said, "the effect of age is expected to offset a great deal of your learning."
So Evo finals was 32 vs 17

So I'm 2x as good as fox?

Hold dat son :) @SonicFox5000

Jk

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I have a friend here in Florida called Rey and his son who is just about 8 or so goes even with decent players in the Tekken scene. Little Rey is his name.

It's more about experience and information retention. Sure older players should have more experience that teaches opponents tendencies and situational moments but younger players have the advantage of being able to soak up and permanently retain the information better.

From certain young ages its suggested to pick up different languages, skills, and other things like math because of this. Older players will have a more difficult time completely revamping their gameplay if they never have, whereas younger players could likely experiment and soak up more due to their brains still getting in higher development.

So yea, imo it really doesn't matter much at all about the age of a player. There are tons of other factors more important.
Rey is one of my most loyal Quan children. Shoutout to him.

If you're talking competitively it depends a lot on how you treat your body and self esteem. Those who drink heavily will probably experience a decrease in execution and reaction. If your body is not properly taken care of you may suffer from trouble focusing and not get proper training. Low self esteem will cause you to start blaming yourself for errors or mistakes and not be able to find the drive to improve. I don't think it's so much age as how well you take care of yourself.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Put it this way:
If the 9 year olds on Call of Duty put half as much effort into FGs as they do into screaming down the mics, they could've won Evo.

what do you guys think about a 60 year old who has retired and has not job or any drama in his life. lets say the 60 years old is rich don't have to think about money, he is leving the eternal vacation and he uses most of his time to play

is this 60 year old in any kind of disadvantage agains a 20 years old? what do you guys think ?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
what do you guys think about a 60 year old who has retired and has not job or any drama in his life. lets say the 60 years old is rich don't have to think about money, he is leving the eternal vacation and he uses most of his time to play

is this 60 year old in any kind of disadvantage agains a 20 years old? what do you guys think ?
Yes, just as a 60 year old would be at a disadvantage capability wise against a 20 year old in nearly anything else. That said, that doesn't mean that much imo. Being at a disadvantage doesn't mean it's a 10-0 MU. Every person/player is different, it just depends on the individual.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Imo age means very little in FG. Insane reads, tactics etc does not really diminish with age until very late. I would even argue that with age comes some sort of wisdom which sometimes very handy in tournaments etc. After all having experience overall is always good.

But of course like @Pig Of The Hut already said at some point your life is getting pretty crazy, job, children, wife, bills etc.. I know that to well and it surely impacts your performance in FG (or any other competitive game) but in a different way - it's rather simple -> there isn't enough time for real life stuff and practicing a game. You can do just so much in 24h. In this young people for sure have an upper hand.

So yea... sometimes i feel old. >

I know we've already discussed pretty much all there is to talk about for this topic but I just wanna put out some stats I got from the mkx fatal 8 tourney.

First Round
17 y/o victory over 22 y/o
27 y/o victory over 36 y/o
23 y/o victory over 37 y/o
19 y/o victory over 21 y/o

Semi-Final
17 y/o victory over 23 y/o
19 y/o victory over 27 y/o

Final
17 y/o victory over 19 y/o
In all 7 games, the younger player won.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I know we've already discussed pretty much all there is to talk about for this topic but I just wanna put out some stats I got from the mkx fatal 8 tourney.

First Round
17 y/o victory over 22 y/o
27 y/o victory over 36 y/o
23 y/o victory over 37 y/o
19 y/o victory over 21 y/o

Semi-Final
17 y/o victory over 23 y/o
19 y/o victory over 27 y/o

Final
17 y/o victory over 19 y/o
In all 7 games, the younger player won.

That's because Sonic Fox is just a great player. There are plenty of 17 year olds who are not nearly as good as Sonic Fox and would easily lose to someone in their 20's and 30's and you're basing that theory off of one tournament. Flawed argument.

That's because Sonic Fox is just a great player. There are plenty of 17 year olds who are not nearly as good as Sonic Fox and would easily lose to someone in their 20's and 30's and you're basing that theory off of one tournament. Flawed argument.
I didn't state any thesis. Read my post again as it says I'm just putting out some interesting stats.