What's new

Do we all agree on Variation Blind Pick?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
This isn´t about speculating how the game works, or what tournament rules should be. However, I think a very important character select option needs to be implemented when the game launches to make competition run smoothly. Variation Blind Pick. We´re assuming there will be an option to blind pick your character, but we NEED this for Variation also. So very clearly stated:

- Players have the ability to choose their character openly, but can then select "hidden cursor" to keep their Variation secret.
- Variation Blind Pick also causes the character model to not visibly change, or causes the character to turn invisible while preserving the name.
- Buttons 1 2 and 3 correspond to Variation select so that no one gets confused by forgetting where the invisible cursor is. (suggested by Scar)

Imagine that two players, character loyalists, pick their characters but haven´t set on a Variation yet. Player 1´s variation A bodies Player 2´s variation B. But 1´s C has disadvantage against 1´s A. And so on. So they start bouncing around endlessly because neither wants to get counter picked.

Obviously there is a parallel to normal counterpicking. (If you pick Cage, I´ll pick Kenshi. If you pick Kenshi, I´ll pick Kung Lao. If you pick Kung Lao, I´ll pick Sonya). But not only will we have character counterpicking in MKX, the Variation bouncing pre-round 1 could get really silly. I think this will easily solved with this mechanic.

Last edited:
Regarding this I completely agree, one thing I wanna add tho, during blind variation select, both players should be able to press 3 diff buttons for 3 variations. Ex. For variation 1 simply press Square, for variation 2 press triangle, for variation 3 press circle..

So either press 1 2 or 4 for the 3 variations, this way we avoid players mistakingly choosing the wrong variation by scrolling either too far left or too far right, skipping the intended variation...choosing by button limits variation pick errors.

Mst

Noob
Regarding this I completely agree, one thing I wanna add tho, during blind variation select, both players should be able to press 3 diff buttons for 3 variations. Ex. For variation 1 simply press Square, for variation 2 press triangle, for variation 3 press circle..

So either press 1 2 or 4 for the 3 variations, this way we avoid players mistakingly choosing the wrong variation by scrolling either too far left or too far right, skipping the intended variation...choosing by button limits variation pick errors.
They could also add a button for random variation using the triggers. So you choose your Character but not the variation. (General idea if they add buttons for each variation)

Having a blind character pick basically guarantees a blind variation pick. It's not like you pick your character blind then suddenly they appear when you choose the variation...

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
They should do it like how you select your team order in cvs2. You pick your character and during the loading screen of the match you secretly pick your variation.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Everything I would approve of has already been noted here, but I will say this, I hope the inevitable DLC characters are part of the character select screen instead of being tacked on into their own section when it comes to blind picking the actual character. Players who co-mained a default character and a DLC character in MK9 pretty much always had to call in a TEO to oversee ambiguous character commitments when it was a clean difference between a disadvantage/advantage matchup lol.

I stress this because, like it or lump it, there most likely will be some characters who wholly lose to others regardless of variation choice.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I don't think that variations are going to be any different from regular counter picking but if this makes people feel better than sure why not have it in the game

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Ed even said he was going to have the top MLG/EVO/CEO players testing the shit.

I know it's not been perfect, but they tend to get it at close as it can be towards the end.

This is a radical step in the FGC. No other fighting game has this. Even when it's released it's still a "beta" idea.

So just remember that. They rely on us for the right ideas. They can code and do models and create the game, but we make it perfect.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
wtf make you think we all agree with that
It was a question to those who don't agree, and a general assumption that most people would agree that being able to blind pick your variation would be acceptable if blind picking your character is already a given.

Having a blind character pick basically guarantees a blind variation pick. It's not like you pick your character blind then suddenly they appear when you choose the variation...
Nothing in my post talks about this scenario. What I specifically mentioned was picking a character non-blind, and then being able to blind pick your variation. For example, you lose match one but you don't change your character, but you want to hide the variation you switch to, or if you switch variation at all.

This is a radical step in the FGC. No other fighting game has this. Even when it's released it's still a "beta" idea.

So just remember that. They rely on us for the right ideas. They can code and do models and create the game, but we make it perfect.
Right. But we don't want another stage-switching fiasco like we had in injustice. So we're going to need a very clear and user-friendly blink pick option for variations from DAY ONE of this game. That's what I'm saying.

Last edited:

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Everything I would approve of has already been noted here, but I will say this, I hope the inevitable DLC characters are part of the character select screen instead of being tacked on into their own section when it comes to blind picking the actual character. Players who co-mained a default character and a DLC character in MK9 pretty much always had to call in a TEO to oversee ambiguous character commitments when it was a clean difference between a disadvantage/advantage matchup lol.

I stress this because, like it or lump it, there most likely will be some characters who wholly lose to others regardless of variation choice.
They fixed this for injustice, can't imagine they would revert back for mkx

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I know, it's just that there doesn't look like there's feasible room for additional characters with the current interface.
I bet there will be. I imagine the interface will change quite a lot by the time the game is ready. I remember the character select screens for both the MK9 and injustice demos both looked different to the finished game and we're not even close to that yet. Have faith, NRS do learn from their mistakes more often than not.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
We're agreed that the game isn't out yet and until we have some time with it to see how everything pans out, there's really no way of knowing what's best.
That said, if variations work how they're intending, this system would be a good idea.
Keep in mind, though, that MK9 (theoretically) was made with the intention of being relatively well balanced overall, and we all saw how that turned out.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This isn´t about speculating how the game works, or what tournament rules should be. However, I think a very important character select option needs to be implemented when the game launches to make competition run smoothly. Variation Blind Pick. We´re assuming there will be an option to blind pick your character, but we NEED this for Variation also. So very clearly stated:

- Players have the ability to choose their character openly, but can then select "hidden cursor" to keep their Variation secret.
- Variation Blind Pick also causes the character model to not visibly change, or causes the character to turn invisible while preserving the name.
- Buttons 1 2 and 3 correspond to Variation select so that no one gets confused by forgetting where the invisible cursor is. (suggested by Scar)

Imagine that two players, character loyalists, pick their characters but haven´t set on a Variation yet. Player 1´s variation A bodies Player 2´s variation B. But 1´s C has disadvantage against 1´s A. And so on. So they start bouncing around endlessly because neither wants to get counter picked.

Obviously there is a parallel to normal counterpicking. (If you pick Cage, I´ll pick Kenshi. If you pick Kenshi, I´ll pick Kung Lao. If you pick Kung Lao, I´ll pick Sonya). But not only will we have character counterpicking in MKX, the Variation bouncing pre-round 1 could get really silly. I think this will easily solved with this mechanic.
absolutely.

You are now Variation rules cop. Lord your power!!! :D