What's new

do upper level players use joysticks on psn?

just wondering? if so what joystick? it is very rare (aka once) but i played a guy who had uncanny reflexes, i was swearing he was cheating somehow.. is a joystick a possibility?

Someone told me that he was using a SEGA Saturn control pad if I recall correctly. His LIu Kang could then throw rapid fireballs in sequence. I thought it could lead to a 100% fireball combination, but he couldn't chain more than 3 or 4 together.

Are the MK-layout sticks from Arcade-in-a-Box compatible with MKII?
Still, MK is much much more friendly to pad players than say SFIII or Killer Instinct...so I have yet to feel the urge to invest in one.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I'm not elite by any stretch, but I'd consider myself "upper level." I don't use a stick, for the sole reason I prefer to have all the buttons right at my fingertips and in close proximity.

X820

Noob
I played both for a long time (on pad now), and it's really a matter of what you prefer really, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I'm thinking of either buying or building a stick at the moment, mainly for SF4 but if I decide to do so I'll most definitely have some sort of MK layout aswell.

To me playing on a stick is more fun, that's for sure.

As a sidenote:

That Liu kang thing isn't cheating :)

X820 said:
I played both for a long time (on pad now), and it's really a matter of what you prefer really, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I'm thinking of either buying or building a stick at the moment, mainly for SF4 but if I decide to do so I'll most definitely have some sort of MK layout aswell.

To me playing on a stick is more fun, that's for sure.

As a sidenote:

That Liu kang thing isn't cheating :)

did you check that link i posted? if you got 150 to spend thats your joystick. looks legit.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
seriouz bizniz occasionally uses a stick. I think conspiracy mentioned he was on stick while he briefly played on psn.

X820

Noob
Clark W Grizwald said:
did you check that link i posted? if you got 150 to spend thats your joystick. looks legit.
I did, we have several threads on the MK9 TE, one of them beeing here.

I would buy it, if I liked it.
The more I look at it the more it looks like crap to me tbh.
I'd rather use Jap parts for SF aswell.

X820 said:
I did, we have several threads on the MK9 TE, one of them beeing here.

I'd rather use Jap parts for SF aswell.
Um...you mean JPN.

I use a stick recently that I made for real cheap. I'm def not upper level but I enjoy the arcade feel when I play.Less than 60 bucks for major components from lizard lick amusements. Still haven't bought wood so the buttons get smashed through the cardboard : (

Im really surprised not one of you mentions using both the joystick and joypad at the same time, i thought this technique was more known, especially amonst PSN players. I mainly use the joypad as its less effort and more accurate, but if i want to buffer a move without making it obvious to my opponent what i intend to do next, i move with the joystick and buffer the move with the joypad and my character will continue to move uninterrupted. A simple example, if im Scorpion and u see Scorpion walk 2 quick steps back, its obvious that im about to throw a spear, but if i push forward on the joystick while pressing back back on the D-pad scorpion will continue to walk forward uninterrupted, so when u press HP Scorpion will spear out of nowhere. The same applys to almost every character except Raydens Superman and Johnny Cages Shadow kick as they both require a forward and back motion. I personally use index finger for d-pad and thumb for joystick but experiment what works best for u.

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
as far as i know im the only mk2 arcade stick player , i never seen anyone use stick anyone whos good anyways

summoning said:
as far as i know im the only mk2 arcade stick player , i never seen anyone use stick anyone whos good anyways
I use it for MK2 also, but I still haven't found the button that makes me suck less :p

drummistjoey said:
Im really surprised not one of you mentions using both the joystick and joypad at the same time, i thought this technique was more known, especially amonst PSN players. I mainly use the joypad as its less effort and more accurate, but if i want to buffer a move without making it obvious to my opponent what i intend to do next, i move with the joystick and buffer the move with the joypad and my character will continue to move uninterrupted. A simple example, if im Scorpion and u see Scorpion walk 2 quick steps back, its obvious that im about to throw a spear, but if i push forward on the joystick while pressing back back on the D-pad scorpion will continue to walk forward uninterrupted, so when u press HP Scorpion will spear out of nowhere. The same applys to almost every character except Raydens Superman and Johnny Cages Shadow kick as they both require a forward and back motion. I personally use index finger for d-pad and thumb for joystick but experiment what works best for u.

We do know about this technique. This thread was referring to independent joysticks, not the shitty analog sticks on ps3 controllers.

iammud

Noob
summoning said:
LOL! That's a BOOOOOOLD statement.

Since I only use arcade controls, I have several ps3 options in my home. Madcatz TE that's dual modded for ps3 & 360 (and errthing else). Then an SE that's modded with the axisdapter (allows you to hook arcade switches up to the sixaxis controller, for wireless). I've also been running a ps3 in my blast city for a while, and now have a generic midway cab that's being converted to an mk9 cab, which runs mk2 on ps3.

X820, if you're going to setup a rig for mk2 & sf, I highly suggest using a Sawna JLF joystick, with the "ultimate mod" on the switches, for a shorter throw (preference thing, but I think it's better). Even the JLW will be better than a stock MK joystick.

PS While he's not a PSN player, Kanomk2 uses a SFIV SE stick, UPSIDE DOWN (right hand joystick), and he's one of the best players out there.

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
I learned the game on a stick...in the arcades. It was quite an adjustment playing it on a pad when it first came out on ps3 but I got used to it. I'm sure I could still pick up a stick and play just fine. I def play umk3 alot better on a stick.

X820

Noob
mud said:
LOL! That's a BOOOOOOLD statement.

Since I only use arcade controls, I have several ps3 options in my home. Madcatz TE that's dual modded for ps3 & 360 (and errthing else). Then an SE that's modded with the axisdapter (allows you to hook arcade switches up to the sixaxis controller, for wireless). I've also been running a ps3 in my blast city for a while, and now have a generic midway cab that's being converted to an mk9 cab, which runs mk2 on ps3.

X820, if you're going to setup a rig for mk2 & sf, I highly suggest using a Sawna JLF joystick, with the "ultimate mod" on the switches, for a shorter throw (preference thing, but I think it's better). Even the JLW will be better than a stock MK joystick.

PS While he's not a PSN player, Kanomk2 uses a SFIV SE stick, UPSIDE DOWN (right hand joystick), and he's one of the best players out there.
Thanks Mud, I plan on getting a second stick to play MK on, I'll probably build it myself considering it's so damn easy these days with PCB's that are ready to go. Sure beats my stick building days, hacking pads and what not.
Yea I agree man, there are many many stick players out there that play MK2.
But you know, a lot of them are online players, so they don't matter.