What's new

Do players know what they actually want in MKX?

I just want to AA jump ins with a standing 1.
I would like to say that my dumbass still tries to AA scorpion with NJP... in theory, or if you're used to mk9, njp beats out jump in but not if the opponent does air kick. I name scorpion (ermac too) because they can combo off of air kick.

My point, we must adjust what we are used to which IS a good thing

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
wow nice, whole 4 characters out of 30. amazing.
no.
That seems about right lol. 1/6th of the roster has competent zoning while a few other characters have "decent" zoning capabilities.

I have nothing against the zoning archetype, but the whole game doesn't need to be filled with it. A few characters is ok. You have Kang Kenshi FullAuto Quan Kitana Necromancer who excel at zoning. Characters like Mileena, Ronin takeda, heavy weapons jax and a few others have decent zoning. It's all about how you utilize it.

Rather than "wanting" zoning, you can work on your playstyle and "create" zoning with whatever character u want to pick.

Or if you want a game full of zoners play Injustice.

Not over patching the game every week, dont listen to overreacting noobs, Tanya was fine besides the invulnerable teleport, the rest of the nerf where not needed, why is option select still in the game?, patch patch patch and that shit is still in the game..

Not over patching the game every week, dont listen to overreacting noobs, Tanya was fine besides the invulnerable teleport, the rest of the nerf where not needed, why is option select still in the game?, patch patch patch and that shit is still in the game..
I don't think option select was intentional tbh. That's just my opinion. I think it's just a form of helpful input error instead of an input error that hurts you.

I'm not a fan of option select either

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
Oh how I miss injustice. Things were much simpler when I knew every matchup was a game of tag with shazam. And having the pleasure of hearing people tell me my character was shit and lost every matchup. It was so much simpler to just out play them for the win because all they could do was zone. No rushdown game and all theory talk. Ohh how things weren't complicated. Ohh wait were they?

I miss injustice but I dont miss shazam's high execution

Oh how I miss injustice. Things were much simpler when I knew every matchup was a game of tag with shazam. And having the pleasure of hearing people tell me my character was shit and lost every matchup. It was so much simpler to just out play them for the win because all they could do was zone. No rushdown game and all theory talk. Ohh how things weren't complicated. Ohh wait were they?

I miss injustice but I dont miss shazam's high execution
Heard my share of that stuff. I was a Green Arrow main but also played Night wing and Zatanna

Let's not forget the patches have been a step forward. The 50/50s are frustrating but if you know the opposing characters strings it's workable.

With that said, no one likes to go against a character who is legit OP and not close to fair whether it's frame data, speed of mixups, or overall damage off those mixups.

I think the patches, though most will complain about their chars nerfs but never their buffs, have been an overall success so far.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
That seems about right lol. 1/6th of the roster has competent zoning while a few other characters have "decent" zoning capabilities.

I have nothing against the zoning archetype, but the whole game doesn't need to be filled with it. A few characters is ok. You have Kang Kenshi FullAuto Quan Kitana Necromancer who excel at zoning. Characters like Mileena, Ronin takeda, heavy weapons jax and a few others have decent zoning. It's all about how you utilize it.

Rather than "wanting" zoning, you can work on your playstyle and "create" zoning with whatever character u want to pick.

Or if you want a game full of zoners play Injustice.
A lot of the zoners people keep mentioning aren't even pure zoners. They're hybrids with better offense than keep away. Quan Chi only can zone with bat out, otherwise he's top tier because of his crazy mix-up and safe low launchers. Mileena is mainly a pressure/punish character and occasionally throws a sai every once and a while, heavy weapons is HUGE rushdown with cancels. Ronin is complete ass. A better zoner for takeda is shirai ryu which is a footsie oriented character but he still loses to pretty much all the rush down fools. Full Auto jaqui can work but it's borderline gimmicky. It pretty clear that unless you have a form of pressure either due to + frames(shinnok) or 50/50's on the side(quan) you're going to struggle. That's pretty much why characters like ancestral who are classic keepaway pretty much get eclipsed by 50/50 wielding bojutsu, MoS raiden gets decimated by thunder derp god raiden. Gunslinger is obsolete by Outlaw and marksman. It's not that the game isn't filled with it, it's pretty much the game mechanics are against them. Not just zoners but non + frame 50/50 characters too like grapplers. Also I haven't seen any decent zoning from LK in tournament so i believe that's a bill.

Last edited:

cambros22

Heard my share of that stuff. I was a Green Arrow main but also played Night wing and Zatanna
My transition was so easy into MKX. Playing shazam helped me develop strong fundamentals. I couldnt do whatever I wanted, I had to be patient, I had to always play the other players game. When I sunk my teeth in on a knockdown, my setplay had to be flawless to compete at a high level. I will forever be indebted to my injustice experiences but that game has tainted my soul with bitterness.Never in my life have I worked so hard in matches, to fall short because I only have on average 4 attempts get inside on an opponent before too much damage has been done to recover, and I dropped one of them.

Those were the good old days

cambros22

A lot of the zoners people keep mentioning aren't even pure zoners. They're hybrids with better offense than keep away. Quan Chi only can zone with bat out, otherwise he's top tier because of his crazy mix-up and safe low launchers. Mileena is mainly a pressure/punish character and occasionally throws a sai every once and a while, heavy weapons is HUGE rushdown with cancels. Ronin is complete ass. A better zoner for takeda is shirai ryu which is a footsie oriented character but he still loses to pretty much all the rush down fools. Full Auto jaqui can work but it's borderline gimmicky. It pretty clear that unless you have a form of pressure either due to + frames(shinnok) or 50/50's on the side(quan) you're going to struggle. That's pretty much why characters like ancestral who are classic keepaway pretty much get eclipsed by 50/50 wielding bojutsu, MoS raiden gets decimated by thunder derp god raiden. Gunslinger is obsolete by Outlaw and marksman. It's not that the game isn't filled with it, it's pretty much the game mechanics are against them. Not just zoners but non + frame 50/50 characters too like grapplers.
Ronin is ass I disagree. The class is solid however I never pegged the class as zoning, more as rushdown pressure with frametraps. Alot of these characters you mention as obsolete arent complete zoners to begin with. Would you happen to know what the general consensus on what makes a character a zoner? I would like to know.

EMPEROR PRYCE

A lot of the zoners people keep mentioning aren't even pure zoners. They're hybrids with better offense than keep away. Quan Chi only can zone with bat out, otherwise he's top tier because of his crazy mix-up and safe low launchers. Mileena is mainly a pressure/punish character and occasionally throws a sai every once and a while, heavy weapons is HUGE rushdown with cancels. Ronin is complete ass. A better zoner for takeda is shirai ryu which is a footsie oriented character but he still loses to pretty much all the rush down fools. Full Auto jaqui can work but it's borderline gimmicky. It pretty clear that unless you have a form of pressure either due to + frames(shinnok) or 50/50's on the side(quan) you're going to struggle. That's pretty much why characters like ancestral who are classic keepaway pretty much get eclipsed by 50/50 wielding bojutsu, MoS raiden gets decimated by thunder derp god raiden. Gunslinger is obsolete by Outlaw and marksman. It's not that the game isn't filled with it, it's pretty much the game mechanics are against them. Not just zoners but non + frame 50/50 characters too like grapplers.
I disagree completely. How come every time tyrant pulls a rocket launcher out and changes between AA and regular people stop in their steps. It's a threat, which is what zoning is about, space control and the threat of space control.

People seem to think that zoning = spamming a projectile over and over again and if your character has a bad fire ball they suck. Dhalsim can zone someone out without having to throw a fireball.

The game hasn't evolved far enough to call zoning incompetent mostly because people are too busy asking for fucking patches rather than toughing it out and leveling up.

Sorcerer and Warlock Quan are both able to zone just as well. If not better than summoner, if you disagree you haven't played a good one. I can suggest players to play if ud like.

Just know, zoning isn't the act of keeping someone full screen. Zoning is the act of keeping the opponent in a space where your character excels.

Zoning exists in MKX its just people mindlessly throw fireballs and gets mad when someone jumps over and gets a full jip combo.

cambros22

I disagree completely. How come every time tyrant pulls a rocket launcher out and changes between AA and regular people stop in their steps. It's a threat, which is what zoning is about, space control and the threat of space control.

People seem to think that zoning = spamming a projectile over and over again and if your character has a bad fire ball they suck. Dhalsim can zone someone out without having to throw a fireball.

The game hasn't evolved far enough to call zoning incompetent mostly because people are too busy asking for fucking patches rather than toughing it out and leveling up.

Sorcerer and Warlock Quan are both able to zone just as well. If not better than summoner, if you disagree you haven't played a good one. I can suggest players to play if ud like.

Just know, zoning isn't the act of keeping someone full screen. Zoning is the act of keeping the opponent in a space where your character excels.

Zoning exists in MKX its just people mindlessly throw fireballs and gets mad when someone jumps over and gets a full jip combo.
Thank you, well said. And Warlock quan chi is strong. Ive been labbing with him these past few days. People arent looking at Kung Jin shaolin as well

The mass wants UMK9.

But then they'd cry about it being "too much like MK9".

This game is fine and its hype. The patches don't make or break a character, they balance. Nobody has been "nerfed to the ground".

People just like to point their lack of success in a direction that isn't towards themselves.
This all day. My held back thoughts exactly but I kinda mentioned that as well.

People will exploit bad mechanics or clear advantages and when those exploits are gone or even chiseled down a bit, all the sudden the character in question is "bottom tier."

To my point, tiers are not going to be reliable for a while:

1- the game is still new and pretty infant.

2- no one has even done a proper tier list because they haven't went by variations of characters, only characters. I know, variation tier list will be tough BUT... making MKX was tough I'm sure but what happens to NRS when they push out something too soon and "unfinished?"

Food for thought

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games

But takeda, a long limbed character struggles in many matchups. Dhalsism still gets fucked by a lot of derp poressure characters like yun but he still has very solid aa normals and his limbs don't take years to recover on whiff and that game doesn't have a run button.
The game mechanics clearly hate backwards movement, and the oki is really strong. I don't anything about that ever changing. Unless they patch it which they probably won't. But I only ever ask for goro buffs.
To be honest and to be blunt I think it's more of a case that they are playing someone who isn't a good player and respecting them too much, I had this talk with other players lready about which quan is the best zoning. But that's pretty irrelevant, I could argue all day that neither of those variations can stop people from moving forward near as good as summoner, but they are still mostly strong due to 50/50s which are universal with quan. I don't see how Sorcerer is zoning without armor aura and he basically has to keep you out with really good read on runes since horizontal skull is ass ands ia skull gets one shot before they get in.
Semantics, that means that everyone is a zoner by that definition. I'm not going to define zoner here because that's it's own topic but space controllers usually rely less on strong pressure and 50/50's into high damage combos. But if you want to consider jax a zoner than fine, he's a variation of zoning that the game favors.
Most of the horizontal projectiles in this game have horrible whiff and when you combine that with the run button I agree you definetley can't throw them mindlessly, you can barley throw them smartly and if you make one bad read, it's 50/50 into 30% combo time.
Ronin is ass I disagree. The class is solid however I never pegged the class as zoning, more as rushdown pressure with frametraps. Alot of these characters you mention as obsolete arent complete zoners to begin with. Would you happen to know what the general consensus on what makes a character a zoner? I would like to know.
Kinda supports my point.

EMPEROR PRYCE

Kinda supports my point.
My original post was only saying they have zoning capabilities and depending on your playstyle you could make it work.

Rather than giving a character one amazing zoning tool and calling him the zoner of the game, players need to work with the tools given.

I play Takeda for Christ's sake and against high level competition I do well. Not saying I'm going to win EVO, but you don't need to be a consistent top 8 placer to be GOOD.

Also. Ronin can zone pretty well, has one of the better reflects in the game. EX projectile eats projectile and is + on plus. Regular fireball is a high which baits opponents to not block. Ex uppercut is great for AA and puts em pretty far away.

Speaking of the air, EX fireball has an extended hit box that's veeeery hard to jump over.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I just wanna play MK.

Yes, I want a reasonably balanced tournament level quality of give and take between the cast.
And I really wouldn't mind if defense was a little more rewarding.
But at the end of the day, I love Mortal Kombat, and I will do whatever I need to to adapt and thrive.

cambros22

My original post was only saying they have zoning capabilities and depending on your playstyle you could make it work.

Rather than giving a character one amazing zoning tool and calling him the zoner of the game, players need to work with the tools given.

I play Takeda for Christ's sake and against high level competition I do well. Not saying I'm going to win EVO, but you don't need to be a consistent top 8 placer to be GOOD.

Also. Ronin can zone pretty well, has one of the better reflects in the game. EX projectile eats projectile and is + on plus. Regular fireball is a high which baits opponents to not block. Ex uppercut is great for AA and puts em pretty far away.

Speaking of the air, EX fireball has an extended hit box that's veeeery hard to jump over.
I forgot about reflect. He has good anti-zoning as well