What's new

Do game developers know the true potential of the characters on release day?

Tim Static

Adminerator
to a point, yes, but even today, things come out after the game hits the masses that were never thought of or intended, but yet work.

Go all the way back to MK2. Kitana's air lift wasn't made to be used with the air-fan, as you can see when the CPU does the fan lift, they follow it with a wave punch. Instead, players quickly learned what is now a classic bnb. Thats just one example, also being the first time I ever read about that WAY back in the Gamepro days :coffee:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So basically, take REO's Kabal and PL's Kung Lao(bits Kitana, Pigs Kenshi, etc) at the highest level. Did NRS know that is how the characters would eventually be played one day?

Also, I have always wondered how they come up with the inputs for the strings?

Why is Lao's combo ender 2,4, 1+3 and how many strings did they test before they settled on F4,1,3 for Jax? etc, etc.

GGA 16 Bit
GGA Slips
colt
Tom Brady
CD jr
Krayzie
Shock
hecterrific
Konqrr
NYChrisG
AK Pig Of The Hut
Perfect Legend
You can actually just press throw after 2,4 for the plum flower attempt. I think it was actually intended as another mixup option from the 2,4 string.

However this is interesting to discuss. Remember when Cage players ended their BNBs with Shadow Kick and JOP changed the entire dynamic of Cage's meta ending with nutpunch instead?

Yes, I remember that. This is exactly the stuff I am talking about. Did NRS know that cage would be played the way he is now? You know the way Wafflez does the standing 2 anti air into another 2 and then into a D1 and then into smoke bomb? I wonder if the developers ever watched a MK stream and saw someone do a combo and say to themselves, "I didn't know that was possible".

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Yes, I remember that. This is exactly the stuff I am talking about. Did NRS know that cage would be played the way he is now? You know the way Wafflez does the standing 2 anti air into another 2 and then into a D1 and then into smoke bomb? I wonder if the developers ever watched a MK stream and saw someone do a combo and say to themselves, "I didn't know that was possible".
That would be cool! Impressing the creator.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
No.
otherwise they wouldn't have testers.
Just no.
They can only really allow you to do certain things but are far too busy developing the game to spend time like we do seeing what we can really do with the character.

No, they don't completely know how the game will eventually end up. The developers create a sophisticated game engine that allows players to create the BNB's and combo's that you see today. Unfortunately, that same "sophisticated" engine will allow--resets, block infinites and glitches that were definitely never intended.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
You can actually just press throw after 2,4 for the plum flower attempt. I think it was actually intended as another mixup option from the 2,4 string.

However this is interesting to discuss. Remember when Cage players ended their BNBs with Shadow Kick and JOP changed the entire dynamic of Cage's meta ending with nutpunch instead?
Actually I'm pretty sure reo started that, I remember watching him play cage like that and there was even a huge thread about it on tym in the cage forums

SZSR

Noob
For the record, it was Paulo who told the Smoke community about standing 2 being a great anti-air (obviously it took some great players to perfect it, but let's not write off the devs' knowledge).