What's new

Do arcade sticks really make a difference?

Should i get an arcade stick

• no

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • yes

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
I've been playing this guy and he uses an arcade stick. He says he's way more precise and he's been winning so much more since he got it. Should I get an arcade stick? Or do they really not make a difference.
i switched to stick and wow. first time i used it i felt like i never played a fighting game for real before. i came from xbox Controller though which is just terrible. PS - pad should be waaay better. hitbox is probably the best Controller, maybe i can get one one day.

edit:

IMO:
NRS Games/3D Games: Hitbox > Pad (PS3) > Stick > Pad (360)
this^^

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
YES.
I always play MK on pad but I mess up ALOT of inputs on pad with Kenshi, thought i'd give it a go with the stick when I got it and I didn't mess up once.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
Completely preference. I can only really use stick at this point so I just use stick. Injustice is a input lenient game so it is also very pad friendly for me as well. Don't pick up stick if you don't really want to try it out first by borrowing someone's.

CRKFIEND

Noob
I've been playing this guy and he uses an arcade stick. He says he's way more precise and he's been winning so much more since he got it. Should I get an arcade stick? Or do they really not make a difference.
Depends. Precision-wise I'm much better with a good Dualshock. I have both options at my disposal though. I like the feel of the arcade stick, but I'm kinda wonky with it. I played in many local MK9 venues and did just fine with a Dualshock. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That's just fanboyism.

If you have the ability and commitment to practice 75-100 hours minimum on it, do it up. Otherwise save your pennies.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I've said this to others and I will say it to you. A stick and a hitbox are very expensive and if you play competetively and at offline tourneys, please be sure to buy a dual modded one first and not one propietary to only one platform, the game has been running mostly on 360s lately, unless of course you already play on 360 you should be good for nearly any FG except MK9. As far is it better or is it worse, well I thought the same, that a stick would make me a better player, I forked out 100 buscks on a Madcat and then got screwed becsause the change to 360 as a standard, but I also for a while swore by them and felt that there was no going back and lately found on any FG I am just better with a pad. Its all in preference and doesn't really matter what controller you use, hell use a Guitar Hero controller if it works, but you need to try it for yourself first, its too much money to fork out and then turns out you hate using it.

Just keep in mind dual modded is the best bet, it ain't cheap, but you will thank me later for forewarning you. I went back to pad I feel more confident and comfortable with it. Just if you do stay pad consider buuying a controller that is exactly the same on both systems, such as the Madcat pads, both resemble the same way and they are not that expensive to get now. You want something reliable and comfortable. If your using a genaric PS3 pad, life is gonna suck using a converter, they tend cause wonky issues even with sticks and they can make playing like playing a laggy online match.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I dont use a stick for NRS but I sure as hell need a better Dpad than the 360 pad Im stuck with. Might have to double dip on ultimate for PC for more than just modeler reasons. Need to get me some decent Dpad action going on here. Maybe I should sell a stick for an MLG...

Komatose

The Prettiest
It's all preference. People often think that if you get a stick you'll automatically be gdlk. How false that is, indeed. If you want to get good with a stick, you must make commitments or don't bother with one and stick to what you know and what you feel comfortable using. Pad. I play on a Hit Box. I've gotten used to it and now prefer it over pad or stick. But yes it takes time and no it didn't make me better as a player. I made myself better as a player. Sticks won't do that for you.

G4S Ermacio

Orbs... Orbs everywhere
It is only preference, but for me i find that my input potential increases by a lot on stick because i can't move my thumbs that fast. I think it is way easier to use your hand and all fingers for buttons. I can use pad and can play it for low input games and can somehow do some stuff in smash games when i decide to play them

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4